Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best Rome guidebook for historial information (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-rome-guidebook-for-historial-information-169265/)

wch Mar 7th, 2002 06:45 AM

Best Rome guidebook for historial information

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good guidebook to bring to Rome that is heavy on historial information? <BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Windy

dick Mar 7th, 2002 06:55 AM

I found the Eyewitness Rome book to have lots of good information. It may not have the detailed information you are looking for if you really want a lot on a certain period.

dan woodlief Mar 7th, 2002 06:56 AM

The Michelin Green Guide or the Blue Guide would be good - especially the latter one for history alone. I have also found that Lonely Planet guidebooks are often quite detailed regarding history.

PW Mar 7th, 2002 07:21 AM

Hi,<BR><BR>I just bought an amazing book called Art & Architecture of Rome by Brigitte Hintzen-Bohlen (published May 2001). It's available online at bn.com for $11.96, but I got it at a local store for $5.99.<BR><BR>I'm going to Rome later this month and I'm definitely taking it with me. I love art and history and I found that the other guidebooks (even Eyewitness) just didn't have the depth of information I wanted. This book has all the historical sites in it -- from ancient to Renaissance to more modern. It even has things like lists of Roman Emperors and the Popes and then all the artistic and historical accomplishments associated with each one.<BR><BR>Take a look at this book, I think you might like it.<BR><BR>PW

elaine Mar 7th, 2002 07:35 AM

I don't know PW's book but I will vote for the Michelin Green Guide. However, it is not good as a sole guidebook to bring with you. It has virtually no information on nearby restaurants, hours of admission for historical sites,<BR>or other "practical" information. <BR>The other one I used was Fodor's and I found they complemented each other.

wch Mar 7th, 2002 07:55 AM

Ugh, sorry! <BR><BR>Make that historical information.

will Mar 7th, 2002 08:21 AM

PW's book is great! In fact, it's almost too much info. It's a small little book only available at Barnes & Noble (they publish it). They also have the same book for Venice and I think Florence. I've seen them in the bargain book section at several of their locations.

Paul Mar 7th, 2002 08:48 AM

There's also a paperback called "Rome: An Oxford Archaeological Guide", which chocked full of historical information. This book is available at Amazon & others, and I've seen it in bookstores. It depends upon which historical period you're looking for.

chris Mar 7th, 2002 01:14 PM

Georgina Masson wrote the Companion Guide to Rome about 30-35 years ago. I was in Rome a couple of summers ago and it is still the best guide (imo). She divides it into neighborhoods and give plenty of historical info as well as practical info. I don't know if there is a current edition -- but there should be

elaine Mar 8th, 2002 11:16 AM

to the top

elaine Mar 8th, 2002 11:19 AM

topping<BR>It's not missing, it just hadn't been responded to since yesterday