Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best restaurants in Dubrovnik, Split and Hvar?

Jul 11th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

I'll be in Dalmatia, visiting Dubrovnik, Split and the island of Hvar, in early August. Does anyone have any 'must-do' restaurant recommendations? Places that are truly exceptional and stay with you as "best of" experiences?
Jul 11th, 2011, 02:06 PM

Well.. I wouldn't compare it to our visit to Robuchon's Atelier in Paris but we liked Proto in Dubrovnik enough to visit on two different trips. It's down a street to your right very soon after you come in the main gate. Used to be a flag outside. There is a lovely terrace on the second floor. No view.... just pleasant. Trip Advisor has reviews from people who ate on the street... don't know if that would be quite the same experience. At the time we were there (a few years ago) it was obviously a cut above a lot of the other places on a long street with lots of rests. with seatings on the street. Perhaps there's a new game in town by now. Try checking out Chowhound.com.
Jul 11th, 2011, 03:32 PM

"chefathome" on Chowhound had this to say as of 6/10/11.... hope it's helps you and hope I'm not violating any net rules! -

We have found Nautika to be good but not outstanding and not worth its hype for the price. But many people do seem to enjoy it. I find the same to be true for Posat and Gils. They can, however, be memorable special celebratory places.

Komarda is wonderful with gorgeous views. If you like fish I recommend Proto.

Permalink | Reply
Jul 11th, 2011, 05:33 PM
kja

From my post after my 2009 trip:

Dubrovnik – Poklisar (Ribarnica 1): Very nice setting; delicious food!

I started with a fresh seasonal salad and then had one of the restaurant’s specialties – an absolutely luscious shrimp risotto with blue cheese, capers, olives, and tomato. Delicious! If only all risottos could be done to such perfection! My table was on the restaurant’s outdoor terrace, looking out at Dubrovnik’s pleasure-craft harbor and St. John’s Fortress – very nice. I enjoyed the view, breezes, and live dinner music (piano and sax). The restaurant was well attended the night I was there, so serving staff were quite busy. Nonetheless, the service was competent and friendly. With bread, tap water, 3 glasses of white wine, and tip, my dinner was moderately expensive.

Dubrovnik – Konoba Ekvinocijo (Ilije Sarake 10): Pleasant setting, very nice meal

While deciding upon my order, I was given a complimentary glass of cherry brandy that was wonderfully rich, rounded, and balanced. I began my dinner with a fresh seasonal salad and then had a house specialty – squid stuffed with pršut and cheese, served with potato and Swiss chard – very nice! My table was outdoors in a small square in an old district of the city. My view included a centuries-old wall from which plants had begun to grow and a row of shrubs that demarcated the restaurant from the adjacent pedestrian-only street. Service was attentive and friendly. The wine my waitress recommended was a lovely compliment to my meal. With bread, tap water, 2 glasses of white wine, and tip, my dinner was moderately expensive.
Jul 15th, 2011, 10:20 PM

We liked Mea Culpa in Dubrovnic. The pizza was delicious!