Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best Restaurant in Venice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-restaurant-in-venice-417878/)

sammymalone Aug 22nd, 2008 04:28 PM

Best Restaurant in Venice?

Hi, We'll only be in Venice for one night. Advice on your favorite restaurant for dinner would be so appreciated! Of course Italian and price doesn't matter as long as it is amazing. Thanks!

tuscanlifeedit Aug 22nd, 2008 06:27 PM

Sam, you gotta tell us more. Is price seriously no object? Where are you staying?

I haven't had a "great meal" in Venice, but I've had plenty of great dishes. There are some folks here that have definite favorites. Have you tried a search on the board for Venice restaurants or Venice dining? You may see some clear favorites.

Also, try Chowhound. You can get some very descriptive reports of meals there. Chowhound.com, go to Boards, then Italy, and start searching for Venice.

JulieVikmanis Aug 23rd, 2008 04:51 AM

In Venice generally the views will be more amazing than the food. For views, I suggest the rooftop of the Danielli hotel with views of the Lagoon, or the floating dock of the Monaco and Grand, the restaurant for which is called Grand Canal--has views of the grand Canal and of the santa Maria della Salute church. For food, consider Corte Sconda with exceptional seafood served in an unending procession of small plates or Osteria alla Testiere, a tiny place with a great chef and terrific pastas. Don't have your head turned by claims about Harry's Bar, or Cipriani, or Da Fiore.

franco Aug 23rd, 2008 05:34 AM

There are indeed many threads on dining in Venice. Try this one: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34791666

elaine Aug 23rd, 2008 05:42 AM

I haven't been back in a while now, but I've had memorable, world-class meals more than once at Da Fiore and at the restaurant of the Cipriani hotel.
Beautiful decor as well. I don't know if my "head was turned" but my senses were delighted.

Byrd Aug 23rd, 2008 06:11 AM

ttt

sammymalone Aug 23rd, 2008 04:27 PM

It's true! Price is no object! I've only ever had okay meals in Venice and I am that eager to be wowed. We'll only be there one night and I want it to be a great one. Thanks so much for the advice. Best wishes and happy travels!

nytraveler Aug 23rd, 2008 04:46 PM

The best meals we've had in Venice ( and it can be difficult) were at the Danieli and Harry's. In both places I think it's important to engage the staff, discuss the specials (usually the best options but often big $) and knowing what you like and don't. And - a lot of it is the atmosphere - and y our expectations

The last time we ate at Harry's the people at the next table were very disappointed - but they hadn't checked the menu in advance - and were distinctly surf 'n' turf sorts. They were disappointed not to be able to order large steaks or pick out lobsters from a tank - and neither ate "fish" at all.

notbob Aug 23rd, 2008 07:06 PM

Locanda Cipriani on Torcello

LoveItaly Aug 23rd, 2008 08:30 PM

Interesting post NYTaveler as I have been blasted because we always went to Harry's Bar. After I lost my husband when my Italian friends and I went to Venice we went to Harry's Bar. And I will go there again. But yes, one needs to converse with the waiter regarding the evenings specials. Not inexpensive for sure but I have many happy memories.

sammymalone Sep 2nd, 2008 11:08 AM

Hi, I have had a wonderful dinner at Harry's. It's funny though because I don't think I would have recommended it to anyone. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking forward to a great dinner!

smlri Sep 2nd, 2008 12:52 PM

Alla Madonna near the Rialto Bridge.

bfrac Sep 2nd, 2008 01:25 PM

Ristorante Riviera www.ristoranteriviera.it

plafield Sep 2nd, 2008 05:09 PM

I strongly second Restaurant Riviera. We actually went back a second time in our 4 days in Venice it was so great.

bfrac Sep 3rd, 2008 03:26 AM

Playfield, we went because of your report. We loved it too and have recommended it to many others.

mamc Sep 3rd, 2008 06:47 AM

I second Julie's recommendation of Alle Testiere. It is not an "occasion" restaurant but has the very best food we have eaten in Venice. If you are looking for a delicious meal and don't necessarily need the "glitz", it is wonderful. It is very small so you should make reservations well in advance.

Juliea Sep 3rd, 2008 08:49 AM

Locanda Cipriani on Torcello is fab if the weather is good - so pretty.
(closes from October). Had a great Tasting Menu at Ai Gondolieri near the Guggenheim in Dorsoduro. Have fun.