best restaurant in l'isle sur la sorgue

Jun 20th, 2001, 04:08 AM
steve

best restaurant in l'isle sur la sorgue

In the Provence region of France, there is a small, charming town with picturesque canals, a plethora of antique shops and plenty of tourist oriented restaurants. But a five minute walk from the main drag, at 8 rue michelet (tel no. 04 90 20 61 03) is an outstanding restaurant with a young chef-owner and his wife running the front of the house.

Every course was expertly prepared, the meats cooked to order (a rarity anywhere), and the atmosphere is both charming and romantic. Not to be skipped is the plat du fromage (cheese course) where we were offered what they said were eight of the finest cheeses of France from Beafort to Pont l'Eveque. That the couple also owns the adjacent cheese shop gives crediblity to their claim.

If you happen to be in this region of France, I highly recommend seeking out this restaurant for a most pleasant surprise. I would hope that in the next edition of Fodor's it receives not only mention but mention with a star.

Jun 20th, 2001, 06:05 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Good ad Steve, I have eaten there.

Sep 18th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Does anyone know the name of this restaurant and if it's still trading?

Any other recommendation is much appreciated.

s
Sep 19th, 2009, 05:35 AM

It is or was Les Gourmets de l'Isle. It's not listed in the phonebook right now, so maybe it is not operating, I do not know.

I think the best resto in Isle sur la Sorgue (which isn't full of great restaurants) might be considered Le Jardin du Quai, run by Daniel Hebert (which is how it is listed in the phone book). It is at 91 av Julien Guigue, across from the train station. Here is one article on it I found
http://www.provence-hideaway.com/604-2.html

Other than that, I think La Prevote might be one of the better ones there and it's not far from the canals, near the church. I think it's also a B&B but is a restaurant, also. You won't find much else listed in Gayot or Michelin than these few, as I recall. info
http://france-restaurants.bonjourlaf...la-prevote.htm
Sep 19th, 2009, 08:07 AM

Le Jardin du Quai is my favorite, It's located by the train station and has garden seating. Hebert was formally at te Hotel Mirande(sp?)