Reload this Page >

Best resource to learn some Italian

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 03:23 PM
JJ

I'm going to Italy in 8 months, and would like to learn a little Italian before I go. Can you recommend a good resource? I need something that provides a good pronounciation key - an accompanying cassette or cd??? I don't plan to be proficient, just be able to say more than good morning, and where's the wc!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Rex

Search &quot;Pimsleur&quot; here, or more specifically &quot;Pims;eur and Italian&quot; and you will undoubtedly read some glowing positive remarks. But it's expensive.<BR><BR>I'd recommend starting with whatever they offer at the biggest local public library close to you. Try before you buy.<BR><BR>And whatever you buy, an important tip is that you must say it OUT lOUD. You need to get used to - - or get over - - how you sound - - or for many people, how bad you THINK you sound.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:54 PM
up

topping, for JJ<BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Kay

I bought the DK (Dorling Kindersley) cassette tape and phrase book and found it really useful. I listened to it just about every day on the way to work for 6 months before our trip and quite a lot sank in without me realising it. I couldn't have had a proper conversation in Italy, but could ask for simple things and understand a lot more than if I had never listened to the cassette. The speakers were native Italians which I think is the key to pronunciation.<BR>Kay

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 04:18 AM
Eddie

Keep in mind that there is some Language for Travelers assistance right here on this website, under Resources, at the top of the screen.<BR><BR>Costs you nothing.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 11:33 AM
JJ

Eddie;<BR>Whoa!! I'd never found that before, what a great tip - THANKS!!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Syrin

Here's a link for a free online course in basic Italian. The pronounication feature works well if you have Real Player. http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/mo...2/pagetwo.html <BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 03:11 PM
up

alta<BR>

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Susan

I like the Berlitz tapes.