Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best rental car companies in France (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-rental-car-companies-in-france-876331/)

Joe18 Feb 2nd, 2011 05:33 PM

Best rental car companies in France

We're thnnking about renting a car and driving through Provence this summer. The last time we did this--in 1997--we learned that there was a major difference in rates among different companies. If I remember correctly Kemwell?? was cheapest. Does anyone know the best buys now?

Thanks,

Joe

Surfergirl Feb 2nd, 2011 06:09 PM

We used Autoeurope, which is a conglomerate of several agencies, and their prices were really reasonable, especially if you book far enough in advance. Last time we used them was in 2009 -- picked up the car in Nice and dropped off in Avignon.

Similar to booking here in the states -- the further out, the better the deal. Although I remember I did get a pretty good deal just going to a rental company back in '98 in Cannes. So long as you can manage a stick shift, and have insurance so you can waive theirs, the cost is pretty cheap.

StCirq Feb 2nd, 2011 06:14 PM

Kemwel and AutoEurope, which are basically sister companies. You can often get better rates by renting through their overseas websites.

I have never noticed that renting the farther out gets you a better deal.

Carlux Feb 2nd, 2011 09:15 PM

But you do get a much better deal by renting ahead of time rather than waiting till you get to France.

Michael Feb 2nd, 2011 09:20 PM

On a 15 day basic rental for the smallest standard shift car, Kemwel came out at $25 per day while Autoeurope cost $30 per day.

joannyc Feb 2nd, 2011 09:22 PM

I have always found the earlier that I rent a car the better price that I receive.

Even here in the US, that is true. I've already booked my summer weekends, Thanksgiving and Christmas rental cars because it is much cheaper!

Surfergirl Feb 2nd, 2011 10:03 PM

I rent cars enough, both in the states and abroad to know that, for the most part (not always), as the time gets nearer, the price gets higher. A lot like air fares,

JackDarcy Feb 2nd, 2011 11:50 PM

I think rent would be the best option. The travel season is almost here. That kind of relaxing vacation will have you feeling great. I think rent should be 26$ per day.

Sarastro Feb 3rd, 2011 02:26 AM

I don't think I have ever seen a rental available in France for $25 a day. Are you sure you have included: road tax, location surcharges, environmental fees, or other miscellaneous fees such as additional drivers?

Michael Feb 3rd, 2011 07:25 AM

My note, and I have not gone back to the site, is that Kemwel was $355 for 14 days. The smallest standard shift cars are not subject to the environmental fee, at least were not last year, and I am the only driver. The only surcharge I would expect would be the road tax and the possible airport/train station surcharge of 35€. I don't believe that this was a special, but I'll find out when I have my itinerary finalized and actually book the car. Even with whatever extra fees tacked on, the basic point is that Kemwel, for whatever reason, is cheaper than AutoEurope.

On a different note: In Norway we had to go with AutoEurope because the rental agencies that Kemwel used tacked on a one-way fee that made the rental more expensive than AutoEurope's although the base price was significantly lower. I found that out with the agent on the line, who was the same person for both Kemwel and AutoEurope.

plastic_paddy Feb 3rd, 2011 08:40 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again - holiday autos is always the one for me in most of europe!

Checked today and their rates have dropped down quite a bit for this March anyway ($180 for a week plus the airport tax and vehicle fee).

Car rental in euope really doesn't work the same as home in the US - prices will pretty much be the same in advance than a week before you fly, depending on any special offers coming in,