Best rail saver pass Italy

Feb 16th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Best rail saver pass Italy

Hi rail prodigies,
I've read a big bulk of Fodorite rail knowledge but am still having problems determining the best and cheapest pass for myself and travelling chum. Too many options!

We'll be in Italy 26 days taking a train from Rome to Venice [4/5 nights with day trip train Verona] then train from Venice to Milan and train Milan to Varenna then ferry Bellagio [4/5 nights] possible train from Milan to La Spezia and then CT [two nights though this leg is not yet unanimous] train to Florence [7 nights with day trips Siena] train to Perugia [5 nights day trips to Orvieto etc]then return to Rome!

So, other relevant details may include: Age: My partner will turn 26 whilst in Italy and I'm 28. We're happy to split expenses if there's a pass that benefits two people collectively. We're staying for decent time periods in each place but are still doing quite a bit of train travel. One of us is a student/pension in Australia if that makes any kind of difference. And...that's about all I can think of that might influence a decision.

I wondered if those 4 days of travelling within 2 month passes are worthwhile - and is that the equivalent of 4x24 hour periods worth of train travel in 2 months etc but have see group passes mentioned also. And, ofcourse GAC signals great discount deals on certain legs advertised during certain months, is October likely to offer such deals? Sorry for the proliferation of questions,I figure this is the over-riding concern for us as first time Euro travellers and public transport reliants!
Feb 18th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

I've poured over this and Icuriously, think I can get myself better deals without a bulk pass for some reason. I have a sneaking suspicion I must be missing something..but most passes don't appear to assist me much. Any ideas in respect to these stats?
Feb 18th, 2005, 07:35 PM
rex

Be confident in your conclusions. Train travel (on ordinary point-to-point tickets) is a bargain for people traveling a "normal" amount.

Best wishes,

Rex
Feb 18th, 2005, 07:38 PM

Type your itinerary into www.railsaver.com to determine what, if any, railpass will be cost- effective for your itinerary. Make sure you highlight the "only if it saves me money"option.
Feb 18th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Rex - yes it certainly does appear that way. Though [thanks Betsy] I'll double check railsaver.com before proceeding with my own reservations. Done.
Feb 18th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

Actually, just for interests sake the best railsaver pass for the combination of convenience and price is quoted at the website at US$213 however as Rex inferred, the point to point fares amount to US$186. Thanks again. Now I just need to put a price on convenience!
Feb 19th, 2005, 07:23 AM
ira

Hi aussie,

If you click "only if it saves me money" you get a more honest answer.

Keep in mind that you have to purchase a seat reservation (abt 10E) if you use a railpass for ES* trains.

Feb 20th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ira - yeah I tried both alternatives and when clicking the 'only if it saves me money' link the service declared it was much cheaper as stated [213 vs 186] to pay point to point. However I hadn't considered reservation prices. It's beginning to look like much of a muchness.