Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best (quiet) Canal View Room (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-quiet-canal-view-room-351448/)

GailLK Aug 25th, 2003 06:59 AM

Best (quiet) Canal View Room

I'm looking for a hotel in Venice that offers the best quiet side canal view room and that's centrally located. The last time I was in Venice, I had a view of a back alley. I really want something "unique and memorable" and do not want to look at hordes of tourists or the Grand Canal with a million boats buzzing by.
I'd love to stay in a really romantic side canal view room where I could see an occassional gondola go by... Willing to splurge a bit on room rate. Any suggestions? Thanks....

Byrd Aug 25th, 2003 07:15 AM

Check out the Ca' dei Conti (www.cadeiconti.com) in Castello. Our large room overlooked a charming tiny canal (with an occasional gondola). We loved it!
Byrd

mclaurie Aug 25th, 2003 07:38 AM

Some other choices
Look at Locando Orseolo-photos on veniceby.com
also do a text search here for great reviews & room details (no elevator-17 rooms)

Also check the Hotel Sant Angelo on sinahotels.com

mamc Aug 25th, 2003 07:42 AM

The Ala has rooms overlooking a small side canal. The views are wonderful and usually it is quiet. The occasional singing gondolier only adds to the charm. One entrance to the Ala is a boat landing on the canal.

eschule Aug 25th, 2003 07:50 AM

just stayed at antico doge. a five minute walk north of rialto. great place.

seems to meet your criteria.

IgorVodov Aug 25th, 2003 07:57 AM

We stayed in Ala. The view of the small canal was wonderful.

GailLK Aug 25th, 2003 09:53 AM

These choices look great!! How's the breakfast in these places????

Byrd Aug 25th, 2003 10:22 AM

Breakfast at the Ca' dei Conti was very good--buffet with variety of meats, cheese, breads, fruits, juices, and ,of course, that wonderful coffee. Our group (four couples) enjoyed gathering there in the mornings and making final plans for the day over a second or third cup.

jenniel6 Aug 25th, 2003 01:41 PM

Checkout the Europa and Regina hotel - superb - overlooked Grand Canal - wonderful view of the lighted buildings across the canal. Spectacular!

Bailey Aug 25th, 2003 05:35 PM

Gail
Check out Al Vagon...near Rialto Bridge
www.hotelalvagon.com
We had lunch in the restaurant on the ground floor...wonderful meal...VERY NICE OWNER!!
The location is very convenient & quiet...great combination!
Check out the web-site!

lyb Aug 25th, 2003 10:24 PM

Bailey,

I just looked at www.hotelalvagon.com Their rates are so cheap, what's wrong with this place? :) Did you stay there?

This looks almost too good to be true. I'm certainly bookmarked their website.

mamc Aug 26th, 2003 04:43 AM

Breakfast at the Ala was the best we have had in Italy on our most recent trips.

GailLK Aug 26th, 2003 04:43 AM

jenniel6-Hi and I've been thinking about checking into the Europa and Regina Hotel. Is the hotel in a good location? Are the rooms REALLY worth the big bucks? I'd love to get a "side canal" view room... I'm guessing breakfast isn't included in the rates?

mclaurie Aug 26th, 2003 05:13 AM

Gail, I haven't stayed at the E & R but everyone raves about it. The website should say whether breakfast is included. I copied a few reviews found here (by typing europa and regina in the text search box). Apologies to the first poster whose name I cut off by mistake.

Message: My husband and I stayed at the Europa & Regina in Venice, Oct 2001. If you've ever seen the movie "The Talented Mr. Ripley", then you've seen this hotel. At the end of the movie, the scenes in Venice on the hotel balcony & water taxi dock are at the Europa! It's on the grand canal directly across from the church Santa Maria Della Salute. The location is great and it's very quiet. Easy walk to Piazza San Marco. The hotel is all marble, very Venitian. 5 star all the way, public rooms, outdoor patio dinning with view of the grand canal & church- della Salute, dark cozy bar inside, all the services you could need, helpful staff too. A definite plus was the hotel's private dock. The rooms were not huge but fine for two adults. Lovely colors, nice bed linens, top of the line furnishings. Bathroom was smallish, but very clean and modern-all marble. The best part though was the awesome view from our room, right out at the grand canal and the church I keep mentioning. Highly recommend this place! It's pricey but worth it. We used Starwoods points to stay there. But we'd be willing to pay for a special occasion or first time to Venice. Definitely ask for a room with a view.

Author: Steve1
Date: 05/22/2003, 06:41 pm
Message: We just came back from our trip and stayed at the Europa & Regina in Venice for a few nights. We loved this hotel. It is everything that marieb said above. A room with a view (even partial canal view) will be even better. The location is so convenient that we must have walked in or thru' Piazza San Marco 20 times in 3 days. Make sure you go to Piazza San Marco in the evening when all the tourists and pigeons are gone. The hotel also has a free shuttle boat (leaving from the Daneli 5 min walk away) to their sister hotel (Excelsior) in Lido. If you have time, spend an afternoon to relax there. More importantly, the view from the shuttle ride is something you normally would not do with other means of transportation in Venice.

Author: Steve1
Date: 05/23/2003, 04:31 pm
Message: La Cuisina at the Europa and Regina is very good, with a romantic setting right by the canal facing Santa Maria Della Salute. A bit pricey but not more than any other restaurant in Venice.

GailLK Aug 26th, 2003 05:23 AM

Mclaurie-Thanks so much for the "reviews" for the Europa & Regina!
I'm not not sure whether to go with the Metropole or E&R..... Metropole is getting some nice reviews also and I think the location is also great...
Decisions, decisions..... Thanks!

francophile03 Aug 26th, 2003 06:22 AM

Hi, my family and I will be staying at the Locanda Orseolo next year. I requested a canal view room and that is what they reserved for us. They also gave us an excellent rate for a triple room with a/c and full breakfast. I read that breakfast has special order items too.

This hotel is right nearby St. Mark's and rooms with views overlook the Orseolo basin.

Barbara and Francesco Peruch are the husband and wife who own the locanda. Usually Barbara answers all correspondences and I really feel both are doing their best to please prospective guests.

Look at its pictures on veniceby.com and read comments about it on tripadvisor.com to get an idea. But if you really want a place that is 5* and also want to pay alot then stay at the Europa & Regina.

GailLK Aug 26th, 2003 07:00 AM

francophil03-I've also been referred to the Locanda Orseolo by quite a few people and the reviews are great! I'm just concerned about the location (some say a little hard to find) and wondering if it will be difficult to find my way back to the hotel at night after a night out near San Marco. Otherwise the place looks great!!!!

francophile03 Aug 26th, 2003 07:52 AM

Yeah, I heard that it's tricky to find too. You have to follow their instructions-given. It's a few steps from St. Marks so I doubt you'd get too lost.

GailLK Aug 26th, 2003 07:55 AM

francophile03-I'm still undecided where I want to stay (what else is new)at this point. Just too many choices. Have a great time in Venice!

elaine Aug 26th, 2003 12:08 PM

another canal-view suggestion
the Colombina, 5 minutes to the Piazza
opened 1999