Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Best/Quickest route from Siena to Fiumicino???

Best/Quickest route from Siena to Fiumicino???

Mar 26th, 2002, 06:31 AM
TedK

Best/Quickest route from Siena to Fiumicino???

I need to travel from Siena to Fiumicino early in the morning to catch a late morning flight (1130). No, I don’t want to return to Rome the night before. I am willing to leave Siena as early as necessary. Have had two routes suggested to me and am looking for expert input from this group.
First route is Siena to Grosseto on the SS223, then to Fiumicino on the A12. Second route is Siena east to the A1, via the SS73, SS326 and the SS327, south to the GRA, and around to the airport. This is the Michelin suggested route, but I think I will be hitting the GRA just about 0700 hours and I am concerned that the traffic at that time will be a mess. What is the best and quickest route?

Mar 26th, 2002, 06:44 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Ted, I would believe Dario and do the Grosetto route. I have done the GRA in the AM enroute to FCO and it is always suspect. I would allow 3 hours.

Mar 26th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Wayne

Ted--
I just drove the route through Grossetto last July; and also in the other direction I drove the other route you are considering. From my recent personal experience, I would go through Grossetto. If you can, it might be advisable to allow a bit more than 3 hours.

Mar 26th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Jim

TedK
I did both routes on Microsofts Europe 2002 software program and got the following:
Siena thru Grosseto then A12 to Fiumicino and got 263kms--3hrs 44min.

Siena to Fiumicino via A1 to GRA-262kms--2hrs 44min.
You decide.

Mar 26th, 2002, 10:37 AM
ppp

In which month and day of week are you travelling, TedK? Anyway, if you indeed plan to leave Siena at 5am (compatible with hitting the GRA at 7am) you should be able to reach Fiumicino at or before 8am even in case traffic on the GRA is a mess. I drove the Grosseto route only once and it took me 3 hours to get to the center of Rome (that is, possibly 2:45 hours to Fiumicino). But I drove with high sun, little traffic and with a car that made overtaking a breeze I´d guess that with a smaller car and with more intense traffic it could have easily taken one more hour. The main problem with this route (undoubtely much more interesting than the A1) is that one has to drive on a two-lane highway till Civitavecchia (170km!). If you´re not confortable driving that far in such conditions, and with no or little daylight, you´d be much better off taking your chances on the GRA.

Do you understand Italian? You may get Autostrade info at FM 103.3 and, when approaching Rome, at FM 103.450

Mar 26th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Tedk

The date in question is Friday 15 June 2002. Flight for Chicago departs at 11:35AM.

Mar 27th, 2002, 04:44 AM
ppp

Traffic mess ups are less likely on Fridays early mornings than from Monday through Thursday. If I were in your shoes, I´d take the Autoroute and would tune in the radio. On the other hand, having to drive 2:30 hours to the airport, I would allow 2 hours for eventualities (car break down, stalls, etc). This would put me on the road around 5am or shortly after. 9 times out of 10 this would put me in Fiumicino at 7:30am ... If you indeed leave Siena around 5am, I´d say that you may also safely take the Rosseto route. Even if you have to drive slowly to Civitavecchia, the most you´re going to take is 3:30 hours. In case of the unlikely event of a car break down, you´d have better chances of pulling it off if you´re on the Autoroute, though.

Search this Thread