Best Pubs in Ireland

Sep 17th, 2000, 12:26 PM
Ken

Best Pubs in Ireland

I am going to Ireland soon and would like to visit the best pubs during my visit.
I will be in Galway and Dingle. Has anyone been to some great pubs? Is there a web site that my help with this info I seek?
What the hell, any pub with the black stuff on tap and nice people will be better than any place over here. I just wanted to be able to hit a pub that is unique or extra special when I visit.
Thanks

Sep 17th, 2000, 06:36 PM
kam

Ken, I think that almost any pub in Galway or Dingle will be great with your "black brew" on tap. Would suggest O'Flaherty's or Murphy's in Dingle, however, and just walk around Galway and you'll find what you want.

Sep 17th, 2000, 09:30 PM
Debbie

I haven't been over yet ( leave in Nov !!) but I know from my research,
DURTY NELLIES - a famous pub - is located in Bunratty, just outside of Shannon.

djk

Sep 17th, 2000, 10:10 PM
Van

Ken, I got all worked up just thinking of an answer. I've got a picture of myself in front of Murphy's in Dingle, so kam's on track with that one but if I could die drinking in Eire, it would be in Galway. Between pints try the seafood. North Atlantic bass with a Smithwicks chaser.

Sep 18th, 2000, 08:08 AM
jen

In Dingle- Dick Mack's is good-- an old leather goods store-turned pub. Also Foxy John's... a hardware store/pub combo- very unique!

Sep 18th, 2000, 12:20 PM
John

Hi, Ken,
Check out http://www.irishpubguides.com

IMO Durty Nellie's at Bunratty is overly touristy (now there's an understatement), but offers an okay pint of Guiness if you're fresh off the plane at Shannon.

If you get to Dublin, check out the Long Hall, and don't make other plans for that evening.

Sep 19th, 2000, 04:10 AM
Stacey

If you're on your way back to Shannon to fly out, Durty Nellie's for an Irish coffee (or a Bailey's coffee) as a wonderful good-bye.

Sep 19th, 2000, 01:31 PM
Linda

We were in Dingle then Galway this summer. Yes, Murphy's Pub in Dingle is good. The Small Bridge Pub on John St. had some of the best trad. music that we heard..the pub is very "rustic" but the beer and the music were terrific. In Galway the Quays Pub is a must. You need to go all the way in to appreciate the multi level bars. We enjoyed the pub grub there along with the Guinness and Harp.

Sep 22nd, 2000, 07:41 AM
Jim

Nellie's is a tourist trap. Avoid it.

I emigrated from Ireland was I was 18. Back then, the black stuff in America wasn't even close what they served in Ireland. However, in the past 5 years or so, the quality has VASTLY improved. It's gotten to the point where the pints in certain bars in the States are just as good as the pints back home. Guinness sent a bunch of people over here a few years ago to teach bartenders how to pour a good pint. Of course, I'd still rather drink back home, and stop in the chippy next to the pub after a good session, and walk the mile home through the dark (and rain).

Oct 2nd, 2000, 11:59 AM
Julie

In Dinlge you pretty much can't miss. There is a main street and most of the pubs are right there - just wander in and out and see what you like. We found a place named Adams, I believe that had incredible live music, but the other pubs were also enjoyable. In Galway, similar story, but we found it a bit younger and more rowdy - lots of college age. Quays as someone above stated is not to be missed, but more of a bar, than what I thought of as a pub. Another surprise to us, was how many Irish were drinking Budweiser and how difficult it was to find Harps.

Oct 3rd, 2000, 11:54 AM
Jane

Julie, that's Harp. And Budweiser fortunately is brewed by Guinness in Ireland. But it is scary how popular Miller and Rolling Rock are. For some reason, Harp in the U.S. is better than Harp in Ireland. Can't figure that one out.

Try Smithwicks. You can't get it in the States, and very few places outside of Ireland (I tried to get in London, with no success).

Oct 3rd, 2000, 01:35 PM
Harriett

We'll be in Ireland the end of this month, when we go over for my husband to run in the Dublin Marathon. We're also stopping over in Kinsale & Kilkenny -- any suggestions for pubs with good trad music either of those places? Many thanks!

A postscript: has anyone had a problem with a reservation that you confirmed only by e-mail, as opposed to a written or phone confirmation? I'm a little nervous about my Dublin reservation because when I e-mailed to reconfirm it a few weeks ago they 'couldn't find it,' although I did hear back a day or two later saying that they had been looking under the wrong name. I'm just a little nervous since it's the bank holiday weekend . . . Thanks!

Oct 3rd, 2000, 02:49 PM
Cathy

Harriett,
Try the Witness Box in Kilkenny - it is beside the Court House. Haven't been in it myself but friends have and had a great time,

Re lack of confirmnation etc from hotels in ireland - don't worry too much as there is a huge labour shortage in the hotel industry at the moment and work is piling up.

To the others Smickwicks is available outside Ireland under the brand number Kilkenny, but the Kilkenny ale in Ireland is not that same as the Kilkenny on the continent or in the States.

Harp in Ireland is brewed in Dundalk, north of Dublin while the Harp served in the States and Canada is brewed in Canada by Lambatts,

Confused ? Just enjoy it and don't forget if you are in Dublin to visit the Dublin Brewing Company and try there tour - excellent tour and brillant beer.

Cathy

Oct 5th, 2000, 06:04 AM
marylouise

To Ken
My family of 4 had a wonderful meal at Murphy's Pub in Dingle Town. There are many pubs there and all around the peninsula. My only regret is that we couldn't try them all!! You'll have fun no matter where you go. Dingle is very special!

To Harriet
We made all our reservations by e-mail for our trip in June this year. We confirmed with a self-catering cottage and 3 B&B's and had no problems. I did send an e-mail reminder to each about a week before we left (for my own peace of mind...like you I was a bit anxious prior to going) and I brought printed copies of all the confirmations with me, just in case. Never had to pull them out to prove my point. Hope you have as wonderful a trip as we did. Can't wait to go back.

Oct 5th, 2000, 07:03 AM
Dave

Harriett:

When in Kinsale go to the Spaniard, a nice local bar with music and great atmosphere

Oct 7th, 2000, 12:03 PM
pamr

In the Kerry area - Red Fox ( right next to Kerry Bog Museum). just avoid it like the plague if tour buses are near.

Search this Thread