Best Public Transport Options between Pamplona and Saint Jean Pied De Port

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What options do I have for getting to St. Jean Pied de Port from Pamplona? Travel late May 2011. Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 05:48 AM

I am not sure about transport today, but we drove that route years ago and had coffee in the Hotel Burguete where Hemingway and his buddy stayed on their fishing trip, and stayed in the Hotel Pyrennes in St. Jean that nite. It was a most memorable journey.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

That sounds lovely!-- I am on schedule to walk the first section of the Way of St. James (the completion of this Pilgrimage will be a multi-year effort! ) and need to get to SJPDP. Thanks Bob-- by the way-- CONGRATS! I cannot think of a better recipient for Fodorite of the Year! Fodor's is so classy!!
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 08:48 AM

Hi, viajero2,

Last year there was apparently an Alsa bus from Pamplona to St.Jean, but that was unusual and probably because of the Holy Year. I have looked at the ALSA website and can't find any mention of this bus currently.

That means that there is probably no public transportation available. There is a daily bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles, where most Spaniards start to walk, but if you want to start in St. Jean, you should consider this service: http://www.expressbourricot.com/ This is a shared van service that comes out pretty reasonable if others are going.

Another option is to take the bus up to Roncesvalles and then either try to hitch a ride or find a taxi.

There is a great Camino web forum with tons of information on all things Camino related. Here's one post dealing with the question you ask: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board...topic8229.html

The walk from St. Jean to Roncesvalles, if the weather gods cooperate, is stunning. It's pretty steep going out of St. Jean, and the elevation gain on that first day is over 4000'. Kind of ironic that the steepest day's walking is the first! You can split it up into two days and spend the first night either in Orisson or Hunto if you want, though.

Buen camino!
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 02:17 AM
Original Poster

Hey lreynold1-- I contacted the Express Bourricot service and was quoted 28 Euros because they already have other passengers booked. I think I'll take that! Many thanks for your help! Hope I can return the favor someday