Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best pommes frites in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-pommes-frites-in-paris-716447/)

crepes_a_go_go Jun 27th, 2007 08:38 AM

Best pommes frites in Paris?

Who has the best pommes frites in Paris? I am speaking of hand-cut, fresh fried. Most places seem to have gone to the prepackaged ones.

PalenQ Jun 27th, 2007 08:40 AM

McDonald's has tried to take Frenched fries to a new level - ballyhooing how they only use potatoes carefully grown by French farmers and healthy ingredients.

SuzieCII Jun 27th, 2007 09:01 AM

I'll no doubt be slammed for this suggestion, but the Greek gyro places by St. Michel tasted (to me) just like fresh "beach fries" we enjoy at the Delaware/Maryland beaches.

beaupeep Jun 27th, 2007 11:10 AM

I like the ones at the Brasseries Flo and their other restaurants. Kind of what we used to call steak fries in the US.

PalenQ Jun 27th, 2007 11:12 AM

SHORTCUT - A European City & Travel Blog - home - Paris: Top 5 ...Paris: Top 5 Things to Do in December. doisneau_kiss1.jpg ... Pommes Frites at Café de la Musée The perfect frites - crispy, a little crunchy, ...
shortcut.squarespace.com/home/2006/12/18/paris-top-5-things-to-do-in-december.html

French fry: Definition and Much More from Answers.comIn Paris, the best pommes frites are said to be made by Algerians, Turks, and Greeks, rather than by French cooks. In each of these countries fresh potatoes ...
www.answers.com/topic/french-fry

LJ Jun 27th, 2007 11:23 AM

SuzieC11: I am not going to slam you, but second that vote for the Greek place...my DH and strolled along eating them out of their cones and exclaiming about the beauty of Paris, potatoes and our undying passion for really bad/good food!

Jess215 Jun 27th, 2007 11:42 AM

Try: Cafe Voltaire near Musee d'Orsay.

PalenQ Jun 27th, 2007 11:52 AM

To me the 'best' things like french fries are not gourmet ones cut just right but typical frites, served in a paper cone and dripping in grease - the real thing not some esoteric frites that real folks never taste. The Latin Quarter like Suzie had fits this to a T.

msdotliz Jun 27th, 2007 11:54 AM

I liked the ones at the Eiffel Tower!

kurmelbel Jun 27th, 2007 12:00 PM

Actually, you will find the best frites in Brussels! Just take the Thalys and 86 minutes later you're there.

hopscotch Jun 27th, 2007 12:12 PM

The best pommes frites in Paris are in Amsterdam. Holland has the best mayo also.

crepes_a_go_go Jun 27th, 2007 12:23 PM

What about the frites at Leon de Bruxelles? I've never gone to that chain. Are their fries good or just more of the same prepackaged ones? Anybody know?

PalenQ Jun 27th, 2007 12:42 PM

even in Amsterdam they advertise Vlamse Frites - Belgium is the frites mecca - let's see mayo, curry sauce, peanut sauce or, heavens forbid, ketsup or a Frites Speciaal - slatered in sauce and onions.