Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best Places You Have Stayed in Ireland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-places-you-have-stayed-in-ireland-110240/)

Lona Valmoro Mar 6th, 2001 12:48 AM

Best Places You Have Stayed in Ireland

I am heading to Ireland for nine days in April and would love to hear of the best places - cheap, moderate and expensive - in Ireland ... we are planning on going to Dublin, Kilkenny, Kinsale, Killarney/Dingle, Limerick, Galway, and Athlone. Thank you!

AC Mar 6th, 2001 06:25 AM

Hi Lorna: <BR>I envy you! <BR>In Limerick, I have stayed at the Adare Manor. Lovely! (moderately expensive) <BR>In Galway, Glenlo Abbey Hotel. Absolutely wonderful!! (expensive but worth it) <BR>Outside of Dublin The Grand Hotel in Malahide. Nice but not really woth the price we paid. <BR>Have a great time! <BR>

edie Mar 6th, 2001 06:51 AM

Dublin: <BR>Trinity Lodge on S. Frederick St. 105 punts per nite for two people,immaculately clean, modern bathrooms. it's a 10 room guesthouse in a Georgian building with nice furniture, new bathrooms. TV in room, phone in room, as well as hairdryer and iron/board. AMAZING LOCATION....took about a minute to walk down the block to Trinity college to see the book of kells, about 5 minutes to Grafton Street, and if you are being leisurely, about 10-12 to Temple Bar. <BR> <BR>Dingle <BR>Walsh's Townhouse. centrally located in the center of town. about 1/2 block from Doyles, great pub across the street with live Trad music nightly, all year around. when we were there in Feb, it was a totally local crowd. clean rooms, ours a bit small, but nicely decorated. 22.50 per person per nite <BR> <BR>both had small rooms and nice breakfast <BR>

Leena Mar 6th, 2001 06:58 AM

Cashel House, somewhere in Galway.

mauld Mar 7th, 2001 08:40 AM

I've only stayed in 2 places both in Dublin. I would recommend the Morgan Hotel in Temple Bar. It is very modern in a 'cool W 'manner. My rate was 99 IEP which included a good sized room service breakfast (last March). But be warned it is in the middle of Temple Bars bar scene, so if you stay there request a room in the back with a view of the Liffey River. <BR>The other hotel I've used is the Merrion, which while 'grand', I found expensive and not worth it. It is near St Stephens Green & the government houses on Merrion Square. It has a 4 star restaurant connected to it and I thought it a bit snobby.

steve Mar 7th, 2001 07:05 PM

Outside Dublin in Swords (easy drive into the city) - Holly Tree B&B <BR> <BR>Slane (near Newgrange Passage Grave) - Boyne View B&B <BR> <BR>Killarney - Redwoods B&B - new very nice <BR> <BR>These were all about 20 - 23 punts per person per night

Donna Mar 7th, 2001 07:10 PM

If you want to visit the Burren, near Ennis, try www.doolincottages.com. Right on the water near Cliffs of Moher and lots of atmosphere and pubs.

Judith Mar 8th, 2001 10:34 AM

Lona: <BR> Here are a couple of suggestions for wonderful B&B's that we stayed in on two different trips. <BR> Dingle -- THE LIGHTHOUSE B&B <BR> Mary and Dennis Murphy <BR> Phone - 353 66 915 18 29 <BR> email- [email protected] <BR> <BR> this is a beautiful house right outside of the town of Dingle- overlooking the Bay and across to the Ring of Kerry. Rooms are wonderful; <BR>breakfast and breakfast room looking out over the water are delightful. Mary and Dennis could not be more helpful - lovely people. Wish I were going back there again this year. Dennis will have wonderful suggestions about restaurants and pubs with music -don't miss Slea Head, Conor Pass. <BR> <BR> KILKENNY - CNOC MHUIRE B&B <BR> Castle Road <BR> Kilkenny <BR> Helen and Don Sheehan <BR> 011 353 56 62161 <BR> email- [email protected] <BR>We've stayed here in '98 and '00 and were very pleased both times. This B&B <BR>is about a 5 minute walk from the Town of Kilkenny -- you don't have to worry about finding parking -- Home is immaculate and the rooms comfortable. Delicious breakfast - Helen and Don are very hospitable - and have great suggestions for touring, where to eat, what to visit. Kilkenny is a charming city. If you have the time, take a short drive out to the Nicholas Mosse shop in Bennetsbridge - about 20 minute ride - to see the lovliest pottery in Ireland in a very attractive shop. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip - hope these suggestions are of some help. The peolple on this post were so helpful when we were planning our trip last year <BR>and we were able to make our reservations by email ahead of time. <BR> <BR>Both of these B&B's charge the standard price and are approved by the Irish Tourist Board. <BR> <BR>In Dublin, we stayed at the Mount Herbert Hotel in Ballsbridge - minutes from the center of the city - (either by car (difficult to drive in Dublin) <BR>or by the DART --1 stop from the Mount Herbert to Trinity COllege. We've stayed here on 4 different trips -- always satisfied. It's a smaller, older - but very comfortable hotel in a nice- and safe - neighborhood. DART Station right at the corner of the street so we could go into the city or to the theatre at night and be home in no time without the worry of parking the car. Breakfast is included. Check the web site: www.mountherberthotel.ie for prices, maps, etc, April is right around the corner - let us know how your trip went when you return in April.

MaggieD Mar 10th, 2001 08:09 AM

Lona: <BR> I think you'll find that the B&B's in Ireland are wonderful. We've used them on many trips to Ireland. However, we do splurge on one or two nights and stay in someplace special, like Longueville House in Mallow, Cork, Cashel House in Clifden, Ballymaloe House in Cork -- there are many lovely places - and it's fun to treat yourself to a little luxury. However, I can't say enough for the B&B's we've stayed in - lovely homes, delicious breakfasts, and hosts who go out of their way to make your stay pleasant. <BR>Check the Irish Tourist Board for good recommendations for B&B's - www.ireland.travel.ie. Have a wonderful time.

Cathy Mar 10th, 2001 02:43 PM

Lona, <BR>Also check out www.hidden-ireland.com for unusual and interesting places to stay. Personally I would also avoid the Grand Hotel in Malahide - stayed in a few times and never quite took to it. If you want to stay in a hotel in Galway then either the Great Southern (right in the centre square) or its sister hotel the Corrib Great Southern - sligtly outside the city, <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Top Mar 11th, 2001 02:23 AM

Up

Marty Bielicki Mar 13th, 2001 11:34 AM

We spent 21 days driving southern Ireland. Highly recommend The Moorings in Kinsale (very pretty). In Kinsale we accidentally met the owners of "Longueville House" in Mallow Cork. Michael and Jane O'Callaghan are super people and I wished we had stayed at their highly renowned establishment. The Tahilla Cove Country House in Sneem along the "Ring of Kerry" is a nice place to stay too. The Waterhouse family are natives to the area and filled with valuable info and made our stay very enjoyable. Make sure you visit Valentia Island and do the "Bray Head" trail to the cliffs.We do recommend "Alpine Guest House" in Dingle for being clean and very convenient. In Ireland we enjoyed seeing the Cliffs of Moher, Kylemore Abbey, Powerscourt Estate, the Rock of Cashel, Cobh Heritage Center, Waterford Crytal Factory and walking out to the Dingle Peninsula and seeing "Fungi" the dolphin are super experiences. Happy trails. <BR>