Question about layover - London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good morning. I've only flown into Europe once, and that time it was non stop to my destination. This time I'm flying from the US to Europe with one layover in the US and one layover in London on the way to Budapest.

I am flying on one ticket with American Airlines, however in London we switch to BA. I have a few questions.

1. Since I am flying on one ticket, will my bag be checked all the way to Budapest?

2. In London, I believe we will need to clear immigration/passport control but not customs, correct? We only have an hour and twenty minute layover, is that enough time?

3. On our return flight, we go from Prague to London to Charlotte to our final destination in the US. Again, we are on one ticket (two airways). I'm assuming our bags will go all the way to our final destination but what will the process be in London? Our layover is only an hour and a half. We have 3 hours in Charlotte so I know we will have no issues with customs.

Thanks!
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 06:19 AM

1. Quite likely - ask you airline and ask again when you check in for your first fight

2. You make your way to your connecting flight - use this to see what it involves http://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections

3. see 1 and 2 above
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 07:07 AM

1. Yes, your luggage will be checked all the way through.

2. No, you will not pass through immigration, passport control nor customs. You follow the signs to Flight Connections. Your connecting time is legal as it's one ticket.

3. Your bags will not be checked all the way through to your final destination in the US. It will be checked to Charlotte which is the first point of entry to the US where you will clear immigration and customs.
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 07:09 AM

When you check in with American, verify that the bags will automatically be sent through to Budapest. They should because they are one-world partners.
At Heathrow look for the big flight connections signs. You will come to a desk with an attendant and then board a bus to the BA terminal. At the BA terminal you will go through an immigration and security check. Make sure that you find out which BA terminal to go to since BA uses 4 and 5.
I usually allow 1-1/2 to 2 hours in case there are delays at security.
I think this transfer is easy compared to having to do one at JFK or CDG.
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have done the AA to BA transfer on the way to Budapest (and swore I wouldn't do it again). Your bags will be checked through. You will have to change terminals, from 3 to 5. As best I remember there was a passport check, and there was certainly a security check. The LHR site says that the minimum transfer time is 70 minutes, but it looks a little tight to me.
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you mes25258, I had no clue what the process would be in London. I'm definitely concerned about my short layover now, but I'll just have to hope we have no delays coming out of Charlotte going into London! Checking my seats now to see if we can move a bit closer to the front of the plane!
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 03:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Slight clarification/correction to Odin's post:

>> 3. Your bags will not be checked all the way through to your final destination in the US. It will be checked to Charlotte which is the first point of entry to the US where you will clear immigration and customs.<<

Your bags will be tagged through to your final destination. However you will collect them in Charlotte to pass through customs. Then you drop them off as you exit customs - no 'checking' or re-tagging required.
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 11:22 PM

>>Your bags will be tagged through to your final destination. However you will collect them in Charlotte to pass through customs. Then you drop them off as you exit customs - no 'checking' or re-tagging required.<<

Your bag tag will show all your transfer points, it will not simply be tagged to your final destination. So it will show LHR, CLT and whatever your final destination is. This is so it can actually make it to and be pulled out at CLT so you can pick it up and pass to bag drop.
Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 12:58 AM

If you miss the connection, it's the airline's responsibility to get you on the next available flight to Budapest. Since this costs them money, and the opportunity cost of having an empty seat on the first flight, they don't sell tickets with improbable connection times.