Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best places to shop...flea markets....Provence??

May 19th, 2001, 07:18 AM
susan

We will be in Provence for 8 days in June with a rental car, based in Avignon. Would like any recommendations on best places to shop or great flea markes in the area. I am interested in fabrics especially.

May 19th, 2001, 07:32 AM
JOdy

Another Fodorite recommended this book to me, it's written by an American lawyer who spends a lot of time in France shopping markets. I haven't gotten it yet but it has 5 star reviews at amazon.
Exploring the Flea Markets of France by Sandy Price

May 19th, 2001, 10:29 AM
Gretchen

The Michelin guide (green) gives all the markets in Provence by days. The market at ARles is a pretty good flea. Elias on the AOL Francophile board has put together a directory of brocantes--set preferences for about 8 days and you will find the reference. You will want to go to Isle sur la Sorgue on Sunday.

May 19th, 2001, 02:46 PM
PB

Best flea market (brocante) is Saturday morning in Villeneuve-lez-Avignon....
l'Isle sur la Sorgue has become so famous that the prices reflect that fact. But it's still fun to walk around and visit the shops (Sunday mornings).

There will also be brocantes in various villages - you'll see signs posted listing "Brocante" or "Vide Grenier" on many a lightpost and road sign. You can pick up a copy of "Collectionneur" in any newspaper shop on Fridays - they'll list every brocante.
If you love fabrics, a visit to the Charles Demery Souleiado museum is a must. It's located in Tarascon - about a 25 minute drive from Avignon.... they have a collection of wooden printing blocks that are still used to produce the typical provencal fabrics. Antique quilts (boutis) are beautiful, as well as typical Arlesian costumes. They even offer classes....

Another good place to shop is the "Les Olivades" outlet store in St. Etienne du Gres, not far from St. Remy (between St. Remy and Tarascon). Typical provencal fabrics, but the metre... as well as tablecloths, napkins, etc.

PBProvence

May 19th, 2001, 03:42 PM
Christina

There are a couple good web sites with fairly complete lists of the markets in PRovence. A very good one is on www.beyond.fr (go to "Calendar"), you can get list by day or town, I think. Another is on www.provenceweb.com (click on "brocantes" somewhere on left side of screen) I believe there is also a fairly complete Provence market listing on www.jacktravel.com, although beyond.fr is my favorite

May 20th, 2001, 06:33 AM
Susan

Thanks...I have bought the flea market book you recommended, and also Born to Shop France. Do you think there are bargains/great buys/finds in the markets in Provence...or just a fable??