Best places to see in Frankfurt

Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Best places to see in Frankfurt

We will be transitting through Frankfurt early next week. We will reach there at around 1230 hrs and our hotel is also very near to the Airport. Our connecting flight is next morning. We will have half day to roam around in the city centre. Can anybody tell which are the best places in Frankfurt one can see in such a short time and how to reach these places from Airport or from near the Airport. We want to come back to the Hotel at around 9 PM.
Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:33 AM

If you have limited time you can quickly see the remaining old part of Frankfurt, the Römer (Roemer), which is actually only one square, and nearby is the Main River - the opposite bank is an entire street of museums (and not old and dusty but actually very good ones). You could fill in an afternoon with that and probably grab a bite to eat in the early evening to get back around 9. There is a train station at the airport from which you can easily take the train into Frankfurt proper.

Lavandula
Jul 23rd, 2009, 05:52 AM

I had same time frame there as well and wandered the Botannical gardens, being winter i hung out in the hothouse and department stores. As you'll have lovely summer cross the river as Lavandula says unfortunately it was too cold for us to make it over.
Jul 23rd, 2009, 08:29 AM

The sights I recommend in Frankfurt are the following:

* The Kaiserdom where the Emperors were elected since 1152 and crowned since 1562
* The Roemerberg with the city hall - Röemer, built in 1333
* Alte Nikolai church - built in 1270
* St. Leonhards Church - built in 1219, and with some of the most amazing vaulting you will ever see, anywhere.
* The Holocaust Memorial Wall that surrounds the Medieval Jewish Cemetery. This memorial has over 11,000 names of Frankfurts Jewish citizens on it that were killed by the nazis. Anne, Margot and Edith Frank are also on this wall
* Staufen Mauer - City defensive wall from 1180, it once made up one side of the Jewish Ghetto built in 1462
* Eschenheimer Turm - Guard tower built in 1425
* Alte Oper - one of Europes most beautiful opera houses
* Goethes' Birth place
* The Klein Markt Halle - wonderful produce hall, but much, much more
* Sachsenhausen - Frankfurts Applewine Pub district containing lots of original buildings from 1600 on and cobblestone streets, lots of outdoor seating, great food, and a party atmosphere too
* Bornheim and the Berger strasse, great cafe and pub street, with lots of little, one of a kind stores, also Bethmann Park with its Chinese Garden. If it is Wed. or Sat. there is a wonderful open produce market on the upper Berger strasse.
* Schweizer Strasse in Sachsenhausen - filled with beautiful turn of the century buildings, lots of unique stores and restaurants.

For museums:
* The Staedel - classical art
* Liebieghaus - sculpture
* Jewish Museum and Judengasse Museum
* Museum of Modern Art
* Communication Museum
* Architecture Museum
* Museum of Applied Arts
(many of these museums are in beautiful old villas)
* The Historical Museum if for nothing else but seeing the scale model of Frankfurt before the war and the model of it after the war. Lots of other interesting things there but those 2 are the hightlights.

I know this is more than you can see in one day, but it gives you a wide variety to pick from.
Jul 23rd, 2009, 05:14 PM

Wow, how fantastic! Great list!

Lavandula
Jul 24th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Dear all,

Thank you very much. I think I should go for what is suggested by Lavandula. Given the limitations of time, I should go to Romer, see the Main river and the surrounding shopping area and come back. Can anybody tell which train I should get to reach Romer from Airport or from near the Airport and similarly for coming back. How much would be train fare and from where I should buy the train ticket? If we travel by taxi, how much would be the fare?
Jul 24th, 2009, 01:19 PM

I did something similar several years ago. If your hotel is actually at the airport (as mine was), you can easily catch a train at the Flughafen Regional Bahnhof which is underneath the airport. It is a short ride into town. Since I knew I would be making transfers and visiting the museums I bought a Frankfurter Tageskarte (Frankfurt Card) which is good for unlimited transportation and half-price museum admission. I bought the 1-day card at the station.

I took a train to the "museum side" of the Main (changed at Hauptwache to a train to cross the river to Schweizerplatz)and visited the Städel Gallery and Liebighaus before crossing the Main again to visit the Römer area (I wanted to make sure I had time for the museums first).
Jul 24th, 2009, 01:39 PM

Don't even think about taking a taxi from the airport. Take the train (easy to find and you can always ask) to the main station (Hauptbahnhof). Then a taxi to the Roemer --or the U-Bahn (subway) to the Hauptwache stop. Do not walk -- nothing to see on the way. Either way you will be downtown at or near the Roemer, with lots of shopping also. Two big department stores are the Kaufhof and Karstadt. Nearby is the Fressgasse (ask), with many nice restaurants. In the evening you could eat on the Fressgasse or take in the apple wine district in old Sachsenhausen across the river.
Jul 24th, 2009, 01:54 PM

You can take the S-8 or S-9 from the airport. Buy a "gruppen karte" for 14 euro. This will take you both into the city, allow you to ride all the trams, etc, while there and bring you back to the airport that evening. You can take this S-bahn to the Hauptwache. Or, if you would like to see a beautiful train station, get off at the Hauptbahnhof, walk out the main entrance to the tram tracks, staying on the same side of the street where the train station is and get on the #11 tram. (it will be going towards your right) Ride it to the 3rd stop. This will be the Römer/Paulskirche stop. You could of course walk out the main entrance and simply stay on this street, called the Kaiserstrasse until you get downtown to the Hauptwache and Zeil shopping street. The Kaiserstrasse is lined with lovely old buildings, most of them dating from 1870-1905. They contain some interesting stores sometimes, but I always enjoy walking down this street. I am finding it hard to believe that anyone would say there was nothing to see there.

If you do want to take a taxi, especially if you find yourself enjoying Frankfurt so much that you end up staying in town later than you planned, a taxi from the downtown area to the airport will cost around 30-35 euro to the airport. I would email your hotel and ask them about taxi fares to their location, as they can give you a more accurate answer.
Jul 24th, 2009, 02:53 PM

I plead guilty in saying "there's nothing to see" if you walk from the train station to to downtown. Though I've been in Frankfurt recently, I haven't walked Kaiserstrasse in many years. Doubtless it has improved (though it's still a walk) just as the whole city has. Frankfurt is a pretty neat place nowadays, in contrast with yesteryear.
Jul 25th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for a wonderful information. Still I have some queries which are as follows:

1. In which direction, do we have to take S-8 or S-9 to reach Hauptwatche or Hauptbahnhof. Similarly in which direction do we have to take S-8 or S-9 for coming back to the Airport

2. Do we have to purchase the S-Bahn ticket from the ticket vending machine or from some shop? What is the price of the ticket? Will that ticket be valid for one time travel or is it valid for some time, if so can we use it on other means of transport like U-Bahn (metro), buses, tram etc.

3. Do we have to punch the ticket inside the train or from some machine at the station?

4. Is there anything to see near the Airport also?

I am asking these questions at this forum only so as to avoid wasting my time there, especially because I have such a short time in Frankfurt.
Jul 25th, 2009, 10:32 AM

The ticket is called a "Gruppen Karte" and it costs 14 €. It is good for the entire day on any form of transportation you care to use, train, tram, bus, S-bahn, U-bahn, as many times as you like until the trains stop running for that day. It is good for up to 5 people. You can buy it from the machine, just push the button that says "gruppen Frankfurt". Or you can get it from the DB counter. There is one right before you go down the escalator to the trains. You do not have to stamp it or validate it or anything. Just keep it with you in case some one comes around to check it. Chances are they won't, but you still need to have it.

The stairs going down to the S-bahn station will say Frankfurt above them. The train and the electronic signs at the tracks will also say Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof along with the end destination, like Hanau or Offenbach. When you return to the airport, look for the signs with little airplanes on them. This will be on the train too. The German word for airport is Flughafen, but these signs are also in English.
Jul 26th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all and a special thanks to Mainhattengirl whose information has cleared majority of my doubts and will help me a lot in Frankfurt.
Jul 26th, 2009, 01:46 PM

I hope you have a wonderful time here and that the weather co-operates, with some nice sun. Have fun!

Search this Thread