Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   best places to go in Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-places-to-go-in-europe-241277/)

meg Jul 19th, 2002 10:21 AM

best places to go in Europe

I am a student who is about to leave for a month long journey through out Western Europe. My friend and I already have a good idea of where to go, but we are still curious as to what things we absolutely should not miss. WE will be traveling to Brussels, Amsterdam, Munich, Prague, Vienna, Geneva, Zurich, and Paris. Any ideas?

mike Jul 19th, 2002 10:25 AM

Don't miss Berlin. It is the coolest city in Europe!

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Jul 19th, 2002 10:45 AM

Hello Meg, It may be blasphemy, but I would prefer on a student budget to skip most of the really big and expensive cities and stay only in towns with less than 100k population--better yet, less than 10K. You can seek out your own favorites, but examples would include Salzburg, Luzern, Verona, St. Goar, Rothenburg, Hallstatt, Murren etc.<BR>Get the Rick Steves book for good itineraires using rail travel. Have fun

Martine Jul 19th, 2002 12:03 PM

I agree with the navigator. Excepted for Paris, don't visit great cities. You will get bored after a while. There is so much to see in Europe beside the capitals. Go for instance to Chamonix in the French Alps. It is very typical there with wooden houses (little town) and take the cable lift to the "Aiguille du Midi" almost 4000 m high where you will have a beautiful sight above the clouds and over the Mont Blanc. Then, go back down on foot. You won't regret it. <BR>Also a place to see is the region around the French Pyr&eacute;n&eacute;es and Mediteranean. The way of life there is so different of yours. Collioure (a little pirate town near the Spanish border) is worth while. Don't try to see all Europe in only a month. Stick to a few countries and try to see the real stuff, not only the boring uniformity of the great European cities.

kt Jul 19th, 2002 12:29 PM

I spent 2 months backpacking through Europe in 1994. Don't miss the light show in the main square in Brussels. There is a comedy show in Amsterdam, close to the bulldog cafe, I think it is called Chicago. It was so funny don't miss it! In Munich remember that the Heinekin House is still open when the Hofrbra house closes. Also, take the day trip to the castle that they based Disney World on. Forgive me for the spelling but is was Neuschwenstein or something. I would skip Geneva and Zurich. Zurich is kind of dirty. Go straight to interlocken! And do some canyoning. That was the funnest experience of my life! Paris is incredible. I wouldn't miss Versaille. Make the boat trip to Corfu. It is a blast. You may think you want to skip the americanized Pink Palace. But after weeks of traveling, there is nothing like a fun night of partying.

Patricia Jul 19th, 2002 12:36 PM

If you can visit Brussels or Bruges, go to Bruges.. 100% better!<BR>