Best Places to Find a Dress in London

Dec 10th, 2001, 09:44 AM
Robin

Best Places to Find a Dress in London

HI: Am looking for a store to buy a classy, elegant dress for wedding (this summer)?

Thanks,
Robin

Dec 10th, 2001, 09:50 AM
janis

Gosh - that is like asking where to buy a dress in NYC. London is huge and has scores of shopping neighborhoods, plus all the upscale Dept stores (Harrods, Harvey Nics, Fortnum & mason, etc, etc.), designer boutiques, vintage clothing . . . . .

Need much more info - your age and what types of clothes you like, budget limits, etc.

Dec 10th, 2001, 05:04 PM
luvtoshop

Your age would guide my advice, but anyway, I love to shop in London and one of my favorite places to shop is Kings Road taking the Sloane Suquare Tube. Oxford Street is definitely a shopping street but there are many cheap stores. The side walking streets and arcades off of both Oxford street and near Covent Garden have some great smaller stores that aren't frequented by as many tourists. Finally the smaller side streets in Knightsbridge have some great shops. The smaller stores are where I find the stuff that reflects the city I'm visiting rather than some of the more mass marketed stuff. I find the same is true in the U.S. too.

Dec 10th, 2001, 05:08 PM
michelle

Sloan Street,Kings Road?
Harrods, Harvey Nichols,Liberty?Lots of nice shops in So Kensington, small boutiques with lovely,different(expensive) things.Good luck/have fun~

Dec 10th, 2001, 05:28 PM
Jody

London wedding don't worry about your dress ...worry about your hat!!

I love those hats they wear to weddings!!!!!!!!

Dec 10th, 2001, 06:52 PM
cdf

Hi, Robin, this is interesting for me also ,we have been invited to a wedding in London in late March..I will get my dress in NY but want to get a great hat! C

Dec 10th, 2001, 07:13 PM
John G

What about Voyage at 115 Fulham Rd.? You have to be "buzzed" in, but if you have a friend who is a regular customer or a business card, they will probably let you in. Name-drop, it may help also.

Dec 10th, 2001, 07:30 PM
m

Great John, whose name does one drop?

Dec 11th, 2001, 12:26 PM
John G

If you are sincere, and would really like a name to drop to get into Voyage, email me directly and I will tell you. I have at least 3 friends who are loyal customers.

Dec 12th, 2001, 06:11 AM
Tracy

Robin -

Forget Voyage...cardigans are so last year. Second floor at Selfridges, I'd say. All the major European designers, and their January sales *rock* (picked up some Lacroix items for around £100).

Plus their hat department is also on the 2nd floor - they'll help you match the hat to your frock.

HTH, have fun!
T

Dec 12th, 2001, 06:38 AM
zz

Shopping in London? Take a day trip to Paris.

Dec 12th, 2001, 08:25 AM
kate

Start in Selfridges. Every designer under the sun in a vast upmarket department store, like Bloomingdales only bigger and better.

Tourists shop in Harrods, Londoners shop in Selfridges. Oh, and you can never go wrong in Harvey Nicks.

You can also get hats in Selfridges, but for a more reasonable price, go to any branch of Accessorize - there's one near Selfridges - come out onto Oxford Street and turn left.

Dec 14th, 2001, 07:50 AM
Lindsey

I'd heartly second the recommendation of Selfridges, and would add that if you're organised, and know when you'll be in London, you should book an appointment with one of their personal shoppers. the appointment is free, lasts as long as you need to find the perfect dress and gives great perks. The Personal Shopping department has a suite of rooms on the third floor, so you get your own dressing room, clothes are brought to you in the correct size, you can have a cup of tea (or a glass of wine!) and shop in comfort. The personal shoppers know all the store really well, and will stick to your budget - I've used the service several times and have never felt pressured into buying something that was out of my price range.

Dec 14th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Mimi Taylor

I like Brown's but I don't know the street, it's near Moulton Browns.

Dec 14th, 2001, 08:28 AM
Fashionella

Over 1'000 dollars for a cardigan at VOYAGUERS, and some of the work is shoddy, cut very small. Barney's got rid of the line, and I have seen it at discount store. It is also alot of flash which you do not want at a wedding. The bride is supposed to shine. Settle for beautiful, taseful classy and you'll shine. Have a great time, wish I were invited.