Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Places to EAT and Best Pubs to visit in Dublin, Galway, Limerick - Birr

Mar 10th, 2001, 09:29 AM
Phyllis

Well...I am here with another thread..this time on places to eat and pubs that we should not miss for our first trip in June. Don't want to miss the best of the best in dining and also the most enjoyable pub especially one with traditional music. My husband and I really love Irish music of all kinds, but really loved "Lord of the Dance". Saw the show twice and just loved it.

Mar 10th, 2001, 10:00 AM
Leslie

Pubs with traditional music in Dublin:

Oliver St. John Gogarty's in Temple Bar area, pub is on ground level - wall to wall people, Guiness and cigarette smoke but a well-known establishment - and upstairs is a quite nice restaurant - we loved their beef stew marinated in Guiness! Also, there is an evening Traditional Irish Music Pub Crawl that is a walking tour staring at 7:30 pm from Gogarty's though schedule varies by season so telephone 01/478-0191.

Also, Kitty O'Shea's 23-25 Upper Grand Canal St. has music every night.

For just traditional entertainment, in Dun Laoghaire (prounounced "Done Larry") nearby to Dublin is a venue called Culturlann Na Eirann with perfomances of the Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Eireann. They have a program called "Fonntrai" which is a stage show of music and dance. Telephone 01/280-0295.

Enjoy!

Mar 10th, 2001, 08:52 PM
Phyllis

THANKS SO MUCH LESLIE...THEY SOUND GREAT. I HAVE BEEN GIVEN SUCH WONDERFUL RECOMMENDATIONS ON ALL SORTS OF TOPICS FOR IRELAND..IT WILL BE HARD TO DECIDE WHAT WE WANT TO DO FOR OUR FIRST TRIP. WE WILL ONLY BE THERE FOR 8 DAYS AND I KNOW IT WILL GO BY SOOO FAST. BUT WE WILL DEFINITELY MAKE THE TRIP MORE THAN ONCE. :=)

Mar 10th, 2001, 10:53 PM
xxx

The Literary Pub Crawl is a lot of fun. It begins at Duke's Pub right off of Grafton Street.

While I can't recommend any good hotels in Dublin, I can advise you to stay clear of the Jury's chain. I had a horrible experience with them a few months ago and would never go back.

Limerick is actually quite depressing - atleast from what I saw of it. I'd be more inclined to head on to Ennis. We stayed at the Temple Gate Hotel. Nice hotel and great location for roaming out to the small downtown area and cobblestone streets. If you're staying overnight, make sure to make a stop at Cruise's Pub (right around the corner from the hotel) for a Guinness or Hard Cider and enjoy a local musical jam session. One of the best nights we had in Ireland!

Mar 11th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Danna

Phyllis, We had a great meal at the Conrad Dublin Internation Hotel on Earlsfort Terrace south of St. Stephens Green, we ate in their main dining rooom and had a great meal, and even greater dessert! The server was wonderful! It's in a big hotel but we found this a great meal even so! Have Fun!

Mar 13th, 2001, 07:05 AM
Meg

Anon (or anyone), do you have any information on the Literary Pub Crawl (or any other unusual tours of Dublin)?

Mar 13th, 2001, 09:03 AM
Brenda

The Literary Pub Crawl is great fun. Highly recommend it. It lasts for two hours and is led by professional actors from some of Ireland's best theatres including the Abbey. Email <[email protected]> for specific times and meeting place.

O'Neill's Bar is one of my favorite pubs. It's on Fleet Street and has wonderful carvery lunches. The atmosphere is "authentic." The manager here is a proponent of "non-smoking" sections and PUBS! Hooray!!! Last time I was there, there was not a non-smoking section. But, if more people ask for one, it will happen. So, speak up if you're so inclined.

Mar 13th, 2001, 10:19 AM
John

Being Irish I've never eaten in any of our so called tradional restaurants. I'm not really all that keen on pub grub, although a lot of posters seem to suggest it, it's very much your meat and two veg boring stuff. Better bets are the perhaps Little Ceasers on Balfe Street (Italian), Wongs of Clontarf (Chinese) or The Chili Club on Anne's Lane - all in Dublin. There is a great range of restaruants available on Georges Street in Dublin. Mexican, Italian, Chinese, Indian and Japanese, I wouldn't limit myself to Temple Bar.

Mar 13th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Kym

Can anyone get Phyllis to stop typing in all caps?

Mar 13th, 2001, 02:21 PM
Joe

One of the high points of our trip to Dublin was high tea at the Shelburne Hotel on St. Stephen's Green.

Mar 13th, 2001, 02:26 PM
Brenda

High tea at the Shelburne is "veddy" nice.

If you love Irish music, don't miss the Ceol at Smithfield Village. Spend a few hours wandering around the museum. You will absolutely love it. Don't miss the video.

Mar 13th, 2001, 02:32 PM
Phyllis

this is for kym...is this better for you?? i am just so excited about our trip. i guess i get carried away.

Mar 13th, 2001, 03:16 PM
John

Haven't been since before the Celtic Tiger was a cub, but is the Long Hall in Dublin still as much fun as it was back when you got change from a pound for two beers? Well, not fun exactly, but an awfully interesting place - two rooms, the public bar served through openings in the wall (otherwise closed) with the main bar facing the lounge area (the other room). Gents sitting on a long bench facing the wall would lean forward and an arm would appear out of the wall, hand them a beer, take their money, then disappear behind the trap door. Anyone remember Senor Wences? "S'aright. Close de box."