Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   best places in europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-places-in-europe-598010/)

whitley3 Mar 10th, 2006 07:30 AM

best places in europe

I am spending 12 weeks this summer in london doing an internship. I only work mon-thursday so am planning to take many mini-weekend trips all over leaving thursday night and returning sunday night. Am having trouble deciding upon where to go as I have never been to europe, I am also on a smaller budget as I am a college student. Where would you suggest? And do you suggest any hotel/hostel accomadations there

Pausanias Mar 10th, 2006 07:33 AM

I would suggest you click on your screen name and bring up your previous post, which has a few answers already. ;^)

panucci Mar 10th, 2006 07:38 AM

Amsterdam and/or Paris would be really fun and easy, but my heart belongs to Italy. It would be a shame to be in Europe for 3 months and not visit Italy. You can get cheap air fair, like Ryan Air and then stay in hostels or convents etc... If you decide on one country over another repost and we'll help with the details.

blackduff Mar 10th, 2006 08:19 AM

Panucci gave some good choices and heading towards Rome for a mini-vacation it's great.

Madrid is possible and good. Cheap places to live. I'm not sure about whether you can go far up to Stockholm but it's very, very nice to visit in summer time.

Certainly there are a lot of other cities but these are quick to arrive and you can live there cheaply. They're all "Student" friendly.

Blackduff

mamc Mar 10th, 2006 08:52 AM

Don't, whatever you do, miss Paris. I would plan to go several weekends. If you can get good fares to Italy, try to visit Florence, Rome and Venice (not all on the same weekend). From London, you should also try to spend a couple of weekends in the English countryside.

ericp331 Mar 27th, 2006 12:36 PM

I lived in London for three months (mid-May to mid-August) in 2001. Similar to you, I was there for a summer semester of grad school, taking three classes and doing an internship for credit. The first half, we had three-day weekends, and the second half was two-day weekends.

Some classmates went to Paris, Rome, Amsterdam, Prague and up to Liverpool and Scotland, but I found plenty to do and see in and around London. I figured I would get to these other places in Europe at some point, taking a week or so in each.

Some UK day trips from London that I went on... Windsor Castle, Oxford (and Blenheim Palace), Bath, Brighton and Hampton Court.

One of my cousins spent a semester in Barcelona and loved it.

I was in Venice on a high school trip... if your budget can afford it (hotels can be expensive there), definitely go.

AisleSeat Mar 27th, 2006 05:30 PM

The cheap airlines put every part of Europe withing your weekend reach. Click on Ryanair.com and see what you like from their list.