Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best place to travel in the months of July and August

Nov 30th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Porter

I am looking to take a vacation in Europe in late July or early August and want to know if anyone has any suggestions about the best countries to visit during those months and the best way to go about booking my trip. I do not want to take a tour. Thank you.

Nov 30th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Davidx

It obviously depends mightily on what you want. I hsould regard lying about on a beach during those months as a foretaste of Hell but some would love it. I would say one of the Scandinavian countries - Norway probably. There will certainly be no need to go on a tour but you really do need to give a few clues to what you are looking for before anyone can help you much.

Nov 30th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Porter

I suppose I am looking for a bit of relaxation and a bit of sightseeing. I would have loved to have gone to Italy or one of the Greek Islands but for the heat during that time of year. I am literally open to any suggestions about a country where I can lay around on a beach for a few days and do some museum hopping and other cultural sightseeing for the other few days.

Nov 30th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Xenos

If you want nice beaches that aren't too hot in July/August, why not try Jersey in the Channel Islands, combined with either London or Paris?

Nov 30th, 2002, 01:22 PM
former nyc resident

August is holiday month and so the top beach resorts will be inundated with European tourists. August in Scotland is already early Autumn and pretty chilly, and other northerly places too, so aim first of all for late July. Not that many people don't have holidays but it is not so extreme. Plus I think July is a very pretty and a very hot month. I would consider Provence at a wonderful pension type place, and rent bikes, get up in the mornings and tour by bike and then lunch, crashing at your hotel pool in the hot afternoons. Sort of the Peter Mayle lifestyle. Look at Hotel Crillon le Brave as an example of what I am suggesting. Maybe cap off with a sheer fling at the end at the Eden Roc on the French Riviera, just to see the best of the best once at high season! I ALWAYS book direct with the hotel, first contact by email and then phone and then fax stuff back and forth. This way you can really dig into questions about room locations, menus, etc. See if the staff is helpful in advance. I wish I could remember the group of 2 top Provencal hotels that I researched for a honeymooning brother-in-law two years ago where you could do part of your stay in one and then part in another and it was a super package and both hotels were stunning in terms of location, pools, spa treatments, and local activities. I think you would find this agenda fully enjoyable, relaxing and replete with pleasure. I will try to find these other hotels in Provence and post for you. You would fly to Paris most likely and then rent a car or take a train. Reread "A Year in Provence" to get in the mood, start dieting now! and take some French lessons and you can have a nice cultural immersion type experience.

Nov 30th, 2002, 01:30 PM
former nyc resident

Check out www.labastidedemarie.com, a hotel in Menerbes, a top location in Provence. Charm galore!

Nov 30th, 2002, 01:39 PM
former nyc

Just revisited www.crillonlebrave....boy, I would split my stay between these two properties...you can always fly to Lyon and rent a car from there...you can still the Riviera at the end if you want but once you see these websites you probably won't bother! Let us know what you decide.

Dec 1st, 2002, 03:00 AM
tin

To former former nyc resident. I wonder where you have travelled. July and August are the warmest months in Scotland and even further north. The autumn comment is really out of place.