Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Place to take train to tour Dordogne

Jan 6th, 2001, 10:07 AM
jane

We're thinking of taking a train from Paris (preferably high speed) to the Dordogne region, staying in that region for around 4 days and then taking the train (preferably high speed) to Provence. We plan to rent a car in once in each region. I see that the high speed trains go from Paris to both Bordeaux and Toulouse. I am wondering if it would be better to take the high speed to one of these locations and then drive into Dordogne rather than try and take a regular train to Brive or Limoges. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which location would be better to train into? We would like to minimize the time in the train or car. It is our first time to the region and although we speak a little French we are definately not fluent. The reason we prefer the high speed trains is to get to a destination quickly, eliminate any hassle of changing trains and becaus we enjoy the comfort of the trains.
When in Dordogne we would like to see the prehistoric sites, Rocamadour, and just generally enjoy the outdoors and cuisine.
Thanks!

Jan 6th, 2001, 10:38 AM
Pamela

Jane,
I spent the last of October in the Dordogne area. We trained from Paris to Aviginon and picked a car up there and drove to the SW. I would say train to Toulouse and get a car there and head NW to a smaller town to use as your base. We stayed in Fiegac and Sarlat and explored from there. There is so-so much to see that you need to be either well prepared or just plan each day as you wake and see what you feel like. We kind of took the middle road. Knew a few things we wanted to see and then read about each area the night before and picked a few spots to visit. If you would like to e-mail I will be glad to give you or anyone else hotels and places. Remember to check the times places are open if you are going off season. Pam

Jan 6th, 2001, 11:19 AM
jane

Thanks for your prompt response- hopefully you won't mind if I trouble you for a bit more information. How was the drive from Avignon to the Dordogne region? Did you drive straight from Avignon to your base or did you stop along the way? How long did it take? Did you find the roads/maps were easy to follow?
Thanks Again!

Jan 6th, 2001, 12:06 PM
Tony

Jane.

There are high speed direct trains from Paris to Toulouse, although they do slow down to about 120 mph on the latter stages!
From Paris Montparnasse at 1120 and 1410 arriving Toulouse 1639 and 1924, both TGVs.
There are no high speed trains from Toulouse to Avignon, but again the better trains are by no means slow. There is a very comfortable train from Toulouse at 0855, change at Nimes (1144-1154) and arriving Avignon 1229, with refreshments etc. on both trains.
The above appears to be the most practical itinerary to suit your needs.

Jan 6th, 2001, 03:40 PM
Austin

We frequently visit Dordogne.
We take the TGV (the high speed train) to Angouleme which is
an easy drive to Dordogne---even easier than from Brive which is curves and hills.

The best destination from Angouleme is Brantome which is in the heart of Dordogne Probably less than one hour straight drive (straight roads)

AHamel

Jan 6th, 2001, 04:17 PM
cmt

One possibility is to fly from Paris to Bordeaux, take the train from Bordeaux to Perigueux, and then take a train from there to Les Eyzies de Tayac, where you'll be near many prehistoric sites. I did this a few months ago, and it was not as complicated as it sounds.