Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Best place to stay in Saint Paul de Vence area end of May

Best place to stay in Saint Paul de Vence area end of May

Feb 21st, 2011, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Best place to stay in Saint Paul de Vence area end of May

This will be our first visit to the Riviera. We are trying to break up our two week trip so we are near the many beautiful places to visit wasting less time traveling. We will have a car and we have already booked the first two nights in Juan les Pins, Antibes. From here, we were planning to go up to the Saint Paul de Vence area. Following that, we will head for Nice, hoping to visit as far as Menton (and everything in between).
We are flying into Marseille May 26 and departing Nice June 14 back to USA.
In case you are wondering whey we chose Marseille (as opposed to Nice), we were originally planning to visit part of Provence, but we decided there is just not enough time to do that, visit the Riviera and build in some leisure time too.
Any suggestions for where to stay in the Saint Paul de Vence area?
Feb 21st, 2011, 08:58 AM

Not sure why you are changing hotels so often in an area (eastern Riviera) that can be easily visited from 1 location. We always split our time between Nice & St Tropez - east & west Riveria so we have it all covered. We've vacationed for 16 weeks on the Riveria.

To answer your question, I would stay at Le Hameau - just outside of St Paul. Easy walk to St Paul, has a pool, easy car access to Nice, rest of eastern Cote, and Nice Hinterland.

Do you have my 27 page itinerary for the Cote d'Azur & Provence?? If not, e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll attach one to the reply e-mail. I've sent it to over 2,000 people oon Fodors.

Stu Dudley
Feb 21st, 2011, 09:05 AM

Another vote for Le Hameau, unless you are flush and want to pop for the Relais and Chateau St. Paul hotel.
Feb 21st, 2011, 10:51 AM

mjoy,
In October 2009, another couple and my wife and I stayed for 3 nights at Villa St. Maxine, a 10 minute walk from the village of St. Paul de Vence. It is consistently rated as number one in Trip Advisor. The accomodations are wonderfully eclectic...you almost feel as if you are a guest in a friends villa. (Too bad I don't have friends in this income category.)As no two rooms are identical I would go to their web site and take a peek to see if their accomodations meet your needs. A wonderful breakfast (included) is served in the morning, either indoors in a large public area or out on the terrace above their pool. In the early evening complimentary cocktails and wine are served. All of us really enjoyed our stay as this is not your typical hotel or inn.
http://www.villa-st-maxime.com/
Feb 21st, 2011, 11:10 AM

My vote goes to Le Hameau, a charming small inn made up of a number of buildings. The rooms are all different and individually decorated in true Provençal style, and there's a horizon pool. From the pool area you can look out across the valley to the Mediterranean, and some of the upper rooms have a view as well. We love the place.
Feb 21st, 2011, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your response Stu, JulieV, HistoricMarker and Underhill.
To answer you, Stu, re changing so many times in same area, I was trying to separate the area north and south due to possible tourist traffic slowing us up on the lower Corniche and not wanting to have to drive in and out of Nice for all our forays. There are a lot of towns we want to visit north in the St. Paul area: Vence, St. Jeannet, Col de Vence, Tourrettes-sur-Loup, Gourdan and Gorges du Loup, Cascades du Saut du Loup waterfall. Thought it might save time being closer to them.
While in St. Antibes we want to do the walk/hike around Cap d'Antibes, visit the towns of Juan-les-Pins, Mougins, Biot and Cagnes-sur-Mer.
I am still trying to decide how many days to spend in Nice and considering when visiting Menton going north to a few towns that sound interesting but not sure if I am misplacing my allocation of time.
HistoryMarker, I guess you realize by now I don't go on vacation too often and am trying to make the most of my time and that's why I bypassed St. Tropez and St. Maxime, get to the area where there was more of what I wanted to see.
Thanks again for all your input. I did make reservations at Le Hameau for four days.
Any thoughts on whether I should spend more than a day in the Menton area?
Feb 21st, 2011, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Stu - I forgot to answer your question.
Yes, I do have your itinerary on Provence and the Cote d'Azur. Thank you very much.
One of the reasons I am bypassing Provence is not only because of time constraints but I would rather be there in July when the lavender is in bloom. It sounds like it would much prettier then than now.
I also had a wonderful trip last year to the Dordogne thanks to your travel itinerary. Thanks again for all your input.
Feb 21st, 2011, 12:12 PM

this card will work http://cgi.ebay.ca/Global-Travel-Int...item1e559c9d3e
Feb 21st, 2011, 12:13 PM

sorry posted in the wrong topic
Feb 21st, 2011, 12:41 PM

I have stayed at the Colombre D'Or several times.
Wish I could afford to go back.
Feb 21st, 2011, 12:43 PM

For a splurge: Chateau St. Martin. My wife and I held a personal wedding there in 1984 and returned in 1989 for our five year anniversary. Pricey but wonderful

Search this Thread