Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best place to stay Capri, Sorrento or Positano

Old Feb 7th, 1997, 10:49 AM
lanny

I was in all three places last June and Sorrento is the centre of the universe. Lots of good hotels at all prices, interesting and beautiful location, the ferry to Capri (an hour's sail away) is at the foot of the cliff and buses and tour companies are readily available to take you to Pompeii, Positano, and all around the Amalfi coast. Enjoy this most beautiful part of Italy.

Old Feb 16th, 1997, 08:00 AM
Rick Clemons

Saw your message reply on the Fodor message board. My wife and I are going later this year to Sorrento and the coast. Can you tell us if you know anything about getting there by train. We are landing in Rome and taking the train. I think the train is near the airport. Then on to Naples and Sorrento. How did you get there? Was it easy. Please share any positive or negative things about your trip.If you can share any info with us we wiuld really appreciate it.

Regards
Rick Clemons
[email protected]

Old Apr 10th, 1997, 12:12 AM
Pilar

Dont you prefer Positano? why not ? please let me know because we are planning to go to Amalfi coast in July and we coose Positano for the five nights and from ther make all sourroundings tours.
Send me any comment please.
Pilar

Old Apr 10th, 1997, 05:12 AM
Lanny

To those of you who asked for more info, it is really a coin toss as to which place is best to stay and it all depends on what you are looking to do. I adore Positano, and you all will too -- it is breathtaking and an easy place to spend a lot of time in. If you planning to spend a lot of time -- five or six days or more on the Amalfi coast then for heavens sake choose Positano or Amalfi or one of the other gorgeous towns nestled into the breathtaking Amalfi coastline. There is a lovely local bus service that takes you to all the villages and towns along the coast. However, the first people asked about where best to stay and see three places in roughly three days. In their case I believe the handiest departure point to do the things they want to do and especially for easy access to Capri, is Sorrento which is a very pleasant place with some lovely hotels nestled into the hillside. I travelled to Sorrento by ship from Genoa so I cannot talk about trains or other modes of transportation. Once in Sorrento I used local buses which are plentiful and quite cheap. Although I have driven all over the world, with acute vertigo I could not in my wildest imagination consider driving a rental car on the Amalfi coast so I did not. It is simply not for the faint of heart, so let someone else -- local drivers, buses etc. familiar with the hairpin turns and rules for right of way -- transport you from place to place.

Old Apr 27th, 1997, 11:21 PM
Terry

Lanny,
Have you been to Gaeta? If you have, could you please tell me about it.
Thank you,
Terry

Old Apr 29th, 1997, 05:13 AM
Tim Walshe

I and my wife-to-be hope to holiday in that area in September. If I'm getting the gist here, Sorrento
seems to be the place to stay over Capri. Is this so? Interested in any comments on this.

regards,

Tim Walshe.
Ireland.