Best place to spend 10 days in Europe?

Jun 9th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Best place to spend 10 days in Europe?

We have half of our trip for May 2013 planned! We will be flying into Oslo and spending a week in norway. then we have 10 days until we get on a Baltic cruise. Where should we spend 10 days? I was thinking Spain, Germany or Switzerland or maybe the french coast? I have no idea! We will have our 2 teen grandsons with us! We like history,castles, food, learning about cultures, etc any help would be greatly appreciated!
Jun 9th, 2012, 06:38 AM

How old are your teens?

I would choose Berlin and Prague. Berlin because you don't have time to experience it on your cruise since the port is about 3 hours away from Berlin making it a difficult day trip. And it's historical. You can take a day trip to Potsdam from Berlin and perhaps Dresden.

Prague because it's beautiful, historical, interesting, lively and lots of young people (if your grandsons are old enough to hang out by themselves).
Jun 9th, 2012, 06:54 AM

I suggest 5 nights in a city and 5 nights in small towns/countryside. Going with the castle and history themes (on the theory that food and culture is everywhere):

+ Munich + castles near Fussen (Neuschwanstein) and towns along lake Konstanz.

+Cologne + along the Rhine to see castles + vineyards.

+ Paris + Normandy ... Mont St. Michel and other castles, plus coastal scenery.
Jun 9th, 2012, 07:32 AM

I'd vote for capxxx's trip from Munich and try to include Rothenburg ob der Tauber or I'd travel up the Rhine from Bachrach and then along the Mosel to Trier. Should you choose the Rhine/Mosel trip, be sure and stop at Cochem and Berg Eltz and spend a full day in Trier (get a tour there). If you are so inclined, have some of the delicious "ice wine" that is produced by some of Mosel vintners.
Jun 9th, 2012, 07:34 AM

Where does your cruise depart from? Perhaps you could create a circuit that ends there.
Jun 9th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

It departs from amsterdam
Jun 9th, 2012, 09:01 AM
ira

Hi L,

You might consider taking the train Oslo --> Copenhagen (nobody doesn't like Tivoli) for 3 nights --> take the night train to Paris via Köln (4 nights), you could spend the morning in Köln if you wish --> Brussels (2 nights) --> Amsterdam.

Enjoy your visit.

Jun 9th, 2012, 10:01 AM

Deutschland! Munich, Rothenburg, and any other charming villages in Bavaria
Jun 9th, 2012, 12:58 PM

I would visit Denmark, which is not far from Oslo and has many touristic sites to offer.
Copenhagen is a beautiful city, with vibrant life, music on the streets, many statues, parks, castles and museum.

Visit Rosenborg renaissance Castle which was used by Danish regents until 1710. Inside you cab see alsoan exhibition of the Crown Jewels .

Visit the Glyptotek with the largest collection of ancient art in Northern Europe. You will find there also a beautiful Winter Garden.

The Thorvaldsen Museum a museum dedicated to the art of neoclassicistic sculptor Bertel Thorvaldsen . The museum is housed in a beautiful building inspired by antique Greek architecture .[edit]
Take a Canal Tours through the old and the new parts of Copenhagen . Tours are in Danish and English .

Your grandsons and you also will enjoy a visit at Tivoli park.

Visit Kronborg Castle (Hamlets Castle) at Helsingør ,built by King Frederik II .

Visit Frederiksborg Palace and its gardens inHillerod. It was built as a royal residence for King Christian IV and is now a museum of national history.

Take your grandsons to Legoland Billund, the original Legoland park, opened in 1968. The Park is located next to the original Lego factory .