Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best place to see the sunrises and sunset in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 08:02 AM
dln

When we were in Rome last September, we caught the most beautiful sunset--just happened to be on the right street at the right time (Via del Quirinale, walking towards the Quirinale). We took a photograph which is now the wallpaper on my computer, and I love looking at it!

Does anyone have a favorite place to watch the sunsets in Paris? Also, sunrises, though I can't promise I'll ever get up early enough...

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never got up early enough to see the sunrise, but for sunset, I thought the small park right in front of Sacre Coeur in Montmartre was pretty nice. We sat on a park bench and enjoyed a picnic dinner as the sun went down.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 08:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The steps of Sacré Coeur are indeed nice to watch dusk settle on the city or to watch the sun rise.
Also, once a year in August (I forget which day), the sun sets directly in the middle of the Arc de Triomphe.
Sunrise and sunset used to be wonderful seen from the cupola on top of the Buttes Chaumont park -- but park hours are now restricted, so the park is not open for sunrise and it closes very quickly after sunset.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 08:38 AM

I bet a sunset would be very nice while sitting on the tip of Square du Vert Galant (Ile de Cite)...
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 08:42 AM
ira

I've heard that the Tour Eiffel and the Tour Montparnasse have interesting views.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 09:44 AM

I'd rather pick the Seine river, since it's oriented east-west. From the pedestrian "Pont des arts", where you can seat, for instance.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 10:20 AM

On our honeymoon we watched the sunset from Pont Neuf...beautiful!
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 12:52 PM

Oh Lordy, what is more romantic than a sunset in Paris
We were always out and walking and available for each days sunset. A few memorable sunsets were the day we were sitting in Luxembourg Gardens, my feet were walked off so I was in no hurry to walk back to the hotel. We watched everyone scurring home for dinner . It had been a cloudy dark day. Just as we were getting up to walk back to rue Jacob, the sun came out from a black cloud and lit the Luxembourg Palace like a beacon! We just stood there and watched, as the reds and golds deepened and it got darker.
The Yankee has been known to kiss his wife on a pont here and there in Paris ..
Sunrises are more difficult, we are usually so tired, we sleep through sunrise. But one year, we had to catch an early plane and watched the city come awake from a cafe. We felt like the only people in Paris, then all of asudden, doors opened, people came out with their brooms and cleaned their sidewalks..and the sun shone on it all. Sigh, I do miss Paris.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 06:03 PM

dln, when are you going to Paris?
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 06:27 PM

Sunrise in Paris in December is 8:20 to 8:45. Plenty of time, Scarlett, to wake up, shower and eat breakfast.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 04:17 AM
dln

Thanks all. I especially like the idea of going to Sacre Coeur around dusk because our hotel is not very far from it. That would be really easy to catch. I've looked up the sunrise times, and jsmith, you'll be happy to know that there is indeed time to get up, shower and an early start on day! Sunrise in late September and early October runs from 7:40 am to 7:59 am on the day we leave. I never thought I'd see a Parisian sunrise but thanks to all your comments, I think I might! And since we have a week in Paris, I think I might just be able to utilize all your comments--a sunset in a different spot every day.

Kerouac, if you read this again, what did you think of Butte-Chaumont park? We want to go there for a picnic. It looks so interesting with the folly and the bridges.