One Town on the Amalfi Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2014, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In your opinion the best situated, the most scenic/picturesque, that "most unforgettable place in Italy" type of place. What would it be and why?

Probably the only time we will ever be on the Amalfi Coast so I want it to be memorable.

If we do this we'll follow it up with four nights on Lake Como (already and definitely booked).

Time frame is early August 2015.

Thanks.
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We loved Positano. The views, the restaurants, the shops, easy to get to from Rome (fast train to Salerno, then ferry), easy access to Amalfi and Capri, not as crowded as Amalfi. It is a vertical town, so if stairs are an issue, you might want to stay close to the bottom.
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

xyz99, Thanks for the info. Was the ferry difficult to do and is the dock far from the train station in Salerno?
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 11:57 AM
WWK

Another vote for Positano, because of all the reasons stated above. And because when I think of some of the most beautiful places on the planet, Positano is at the top of my list. Plus it's home to FORNILLO BEACH, a very picturesque swath of beach, only about 1/2 mile from the Positano town dock. Oh, and I didn't mention that on the way to FORNILLO, you'll find one of my very favorite Italian restaurants, LO GUARACINO, which has some of the best pizzas I've ever eaten and gorgeous water views from its perch high on the rocks.

However, in August Positano will be a mob scene, like most of Italy. If you are in decent physical shape, I'd highly recommend looking at hotels toward the top of town, rather than down below so that you won't have to navigate heavy crowds any time you want to go out. Plus, you'll have a place to escape to when the crowds overcome you!

Our favorite hotel after many repeat trips is HOTEL POSEIDON, a family-run boutique toward the middle of town. Great views from the rooms and restaurant terrace, lovely staff, not too far from town, but far enough to get away from hordes of other tourists. And, they make a homemade lemonade (pelligrino, lots of fresh lemons, tiny bit of sugar, lots of ice) to die for!

But there are other hotels you could check out, too, as well as apartments(VILLA SIRENE, lovely but lots of stairs!).

BTW, hotels for the summer months often fill up a year ahead with repeat guests, so if you find something of interest, see if you can book it now.

Sorry to go on so long, but you asked!!
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Yes, WWK, I am aware of how things are in August but I appreciate your very thoughtful reminder.
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 12:02 PM
WWK

A last comment from me and then I'll go... We've been to Positano six or seven times in the last several years, and never taken the train from Rome to Salerno. No reason really, but this is how we do it: Fast train to Naples from Rome ( just over an hour), then private transfer to our hotel in Positano ( takes about 1.5 hours, and costs E120).
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 12:11 PM

I agree with WWK that Positano is the WOW town.
I also agree that the private driver from Naples is best. I have never understood the Salerno connection---especially for door to door connections.

Here is a sneak preview:

http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4481
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 12:15 PM
ekc

I echo pretty much everything WWK said, including Hotel Poseidon and Villa Le Sirene (where I rented an apartment a couple of years ago.

I, however, have no problem with the Salerno/ferry connection. I travel almost exclusively by ferry when I stay in Positano, and think seeing Positano from the water for the first time when you arrive would be magical. It still takes my breath away whenever I arrive by ferry - even after 4 trips (#5 will be next June)!
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 12:42 PM

. I have never understood the Salerno connection---especially for door to door connections.>

Well it is more convenient if coming from Rome by train that's all but yes if you're going to pay for a private driver Naples or Salerno is probably about equal distance to Positano and perhaps the road via Sorrento would be faster.

But by train at Naples, by public transit, you must take the dumpy CircumVesuviana commuter train (folks were shooting up in the back of car on one of my trips on it!) and then go by bus from Naples or occasional boat.

But yes if doing the private driver from train stations don't see much difference.
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 12:47 PM

I agree about staying in Positano. We went to Capri for a few days before Positano and ferried to Sorrento. We had a driver pick us up in Sorrento and drive us to our hotel.

We also used a driver to take us to Ravello (though just one way then taxied to Amalfi and took the ferry back)and Pompeii and we normally use public transportation when we travel. It just isn't a good option on the Amalfi coast. The buses were quite crowded in May and I imagine it might be worse in August.
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 01:43 PM

Bob, gorgeous photos! Thank you for sharing.
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 02:08 PM
WWK

The only "bad" thing I can say about hiring a private transfer from Naples is that the Amalfi Coast drive can make people with sensitive stomachs slightly queasy. The views are spectacular, but those twists and turns can be a bit nauseating. Doesn't bother me or my husband at all, but our kids were quite green last time.

Lastly, for a real splurge in and around Positano, think about a private water taxi to one of the in-town restaurants along the coast. Absolutely magical.
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 02:25 PM

I am one of those people who are troubled by motion sickness and the AC road kills me.

I've done it both ways (driver from Naples and ferry from Salerno) and I much prefer the train to Salerno and ferry along the coast. I find it more gorgeous, too.
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 02:25 PM

I forgot to say that Positano is my choice of town.
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 02:39 PM
ekc

I am with Tuscan - the AC road makes me quite quesey, hence my use of the ferry.

There is a fabulous little restaurant in the hotel on Laurito Beach, Hotel Le Sirene, that will send the boat to pick you up at the dock in Pos at no charge. You just need to request it when you make your dinner reservations. Sitting on the terrace of the hotel, watching the sunset over the hills while sipping prosecco was one of the highlights of our trip in June.
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 03:45 PM

The key difference is "door to door".
I hate to get to my hotel from the dock---all uphill.
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 04:12 PM
kja

My choice is Ravello -- absolutely breathtaking views, gorgeous villas and gardens, a memorable ambo in its cathedral, a few charming medieval lanes.

That said, it is best IMO for just a couple of days because it isn't all that convenient from other parts of the Amalfi Coast. So even if you don't stay there, do consider visiting it!
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 04:35 PM

Let me join the dogpile in recommending Positano, overall, for the many reasons mentioned above.

But kja is absolutely correct about Ravello... It is pure wow-factor. It's just hard to get to and away from.
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 07:30 PM

Positano without a doubt. It has everything going for it. Beautiful views of the Mediterranean, very good restaurants, not too big, not too small. The other towns along the coast are easily accessible by ferry. I agree with kja's assessment of Ravello, but we were satisfied to do it as a day trip. I definitely agree with ekc's recommendation of Le Sirenuse Hotel as long as price is no object. We did not stay there but did go there two nights in a row ,once for dinner at La Sponda, and once for drinks on the terrace.
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 08:33 PM

Tough one, Dukey. For best situated, I would choose Positano but only because of its proximity to the ferries to Amalfi, Ravello (my favourite), Capri, Sorrento (not a favourite).

I adored Amalfi, and it is only a short taxi ride up to Ravello and its breathtaking Gardens. There are occasionally concerts given in the Villa Rufolo, which overlooks the Amalfi Coast and the Bay of Salerno. You won't want to leave.

Something else to mention: to access the upper deck of the ferries, there is an iron ladder that I found somewhat difficult to climb. There is, of course, seating on the lower deck, however, the view is compromised there. Getting on the ferries looks awkward, but there are always strong deckhands to assist. Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -