Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best place to rent/pick a rental car in Tuscany??

Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

We will be traveling by train from Geneva, Swiss to Florence and then onto Siena. We plan to stay 4 nights in Siena, rent a car and make day trips from Siena to see several surrounding towns but return to Siena each day.

My question is where is the best town to pick up and drop off the rental car?

After Siena we plan to take a train down to Sorrento, so that may dictate where we rent and drop off the rental.

What do you think?
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:04 PM

Hi mike,

You can rent a car right in Siena, but check with your hotel about parking. We picked up in Siena, stayed in Chianti and did a 1/2 day visit into Siena. We preferred staying in a tiny village in the countryside and are so glad we did!

Buon viaggio!
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:18 PM

Yes, rent in Siena and keep the car and drive to Sorrento and drop it there. The train connection from Siena will have 2 changes and the drive is not bad.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice Bob. I was not thinking about driving down to Sorrento. You say the drive is not that bad and the train from Siena to Sorrento has 2 stops. I was trying to avoid driving anywhere else accept Tuscany but if the drive is not that bad maybe I will consider driving. We do plan to visit Florence but just for the day. What about renting and leaving the car in Siena and taking a train to Florence, visit Florence and then taking a direct train from Florence to Sorrento?
Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:22 PM

Mike,

If you plan to go to Florence for the day enroute, yes drop the car in Siena and train to Sorrento.

You will be backtracking a little. How about seeing Florence first, instead on the way to Siena?