Best place to rent apt Paris/London

Old May 24th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best place to rent apt Paris/London

I will be traveling to Paris after Christmas and then to London. This is my families first trip. We are traveling with 2 adults and 3 children. The children can sleep in one bed. What is the best website to rent a flat and what location should I try to get?
Old May 24th, 2005, 01:49 PM

Look at the vacation rental reviews on slowtrav.com. That might help you out. I know nothing about London, but we have chosen to rent in the 5th arrondissement in Paris. There are so many great neighborhoods though.
Old May 24th, 2005, 06:25 PM

There are hundreds and hundreds of good vacation rentals in London.

Here are some properties/agencies to get you started:

E&E Apartments (no website but they do have e-mail) [email protected] phone 011-44-171-828-0453 Studio, 1 and 2 bedroom flats in Pimlico and Victoria. Near the Thames, Tate Britain, Chelsea and Victoria Station. Very good rates

Hamlet (UK) Ltd. www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hamlet_uk/
Phone 011-44-181-883-0024 1 and 2 bedroom flats at St Katherine’s Dock next to the Tower of London.

Scala House www.scala-house.co.uk Phone 011-44-171-580-6644. An Apartment bldg with 2-bedroom flats near Tottenham Court Rd and Oxford Street in central London.

Price Apartments www.priceapts.co.uk
Studios thru 4-bedroom flats throughout London.

Chelsea Cloisters www.chelsea-cloisters.co.uk Phone 011-44-171-403-7760 Full service apartments near the V&A and Harrods
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:16 PM
jgg

Janis-I am not the orginal poster, but thank you for that detailed information. We are going to London for a week and Paris for a week in March 2006. I have been going crazy looking up all the rental apt. sites for Paris, but haven't started London. I appreciate your tips as they will give me a place to start.
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:55 AM

2 adults of and 3 children.

So that's a three bed apt. or can you do 2 and kick someone into one of the receptions?

Really you need to advise some sort of budget otherwise it's terribly difficult for me to make any sensible suggestions.

Look for central locations - postcodes ending in 1 are the most central, e.g. W1, SW1...
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:20 AM

E & E Apartments does have a website:
http://eandeapartments.co.uk/

I rented a 2 bedroom flat from them in Pimlico and was very happy.
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:56 AM
rex

<<So that's a three bed apt. or can you do 2 and kick someone into one of the receptions?>>

What an uncalled-for and crass comment!

The OP stated clearly...

<<The children can sleep in one bed.>>

Even for teenagers (in an earlier post, I see that you mentioned ages 14-17), this is hardly a strange nor uncommon thing to do (I trust that they are <i>willing</i> to do this, to enable their friend to come along?)

Still, with three teenage girls, I would think you will want to find an apartment with<u>two</u> bathrooms. Getting that may mean that you might as well get something that has more beds.

I have never shopped for, nor stayed in... an apartment in either city - - and the first company that came to my mind - - www.francevillas.com - - which I know from (a very favorable) experience... doesn't really have anything in Paris that would work for you. However, I have also used www.regencyintapts.com (but only for Italy, not France) and they show a very broad selection of apartments (eighteen in the 2BR category alone!) and six of theirs are on Ile de la Cite - - seems like quite a good location to me!

They also have a sizable number of apartments listed for London (curiously divided into &quot;Luxury&quot; and &quot;Mid Range&quot;, rather than by number of bedrooms).

But I think you will want to look at as many listings as possible and factor in both price and location.

Have a great trip. And even though you are not exactly &quot;brand new&quot; here... welcome to the forum!

Best wishes,

Rex

Old May 25th, 2005, 05:14 AM

G_Hopper: THANKS so much for the E&amp;E link. I have rented from them many times (probably 12 or more over the last 8 years - once 3 flats for a group of 13) and had heard they finally had a website. But I could never find it via web search. I could have e-mailed them for the info but don't have a London trip in the near future and just never got around to it.

Thanks . . . . .
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:24 AM

Rex: In m_kingdom's defence . . . . .

&lt;&lt;So that's a three bed apt. or can you do 2 and kick someone into one of the receptions?&gt;&gt; is a TOTALLY reasonable statement. A &quot;reception&quot; is what many Americans call a living room. He did not mean sending the kids down to sleep in the hotel lobby. Many london flats have sofa beds in the reception/lounge.

Don't be so quick to jump on people -- even m_kingdom . . . . . .
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:31 AM

I say reception room as opposed to a living/drawing room as a reception if a more accurate description of such a space in a small apartment.

Making teenagers sleep in the same bed really isn't idea, I'm quite sure they're rather have sleeping bags or Z-beds.
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:00 AM
rex

Actually, I interpreted &quot;reception&quot; to mean &quot;foyer&quot; (as Americans seem to mis-use this term, quite a bit) or &quot;entryway&quot;.

But my point is that nbalk asked about an apartment, with the full expectation that the three children would share a bed. Quite rude to suggest that this is abusive or crazy. And I don't see the basis for thinking that anyone is being &quot;made&quot; to do anything.
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:04 AM

Rex: I still don't think you get it. The point was nbalk100 can get a 3 bedded flat, OR maybe a 2 bedded one and let one or more kids sleep on a sofa bed in the living room.

&lt;&lt; So that's a three bed apt., or can you do 2 and kick someone into one of the receptions? &gt;&gt; Seems VERY straight forward and sensible to me. Since you say you have never rented a flat in London perhaps you should rely on folks who have for valid info . . . . .

nbalk100: As for which areas to look in London -- Pimlico, Victoria, South Kensington, and Bloomsbury/Russell Square are all good areas w/ lots of moderately priced apartments. Other areas like Mayfair and Knightsbridge are also good but tend to run more expensive. Of the agencies I listed above, E&amp;E, Scala House and Chelsea Cloisters are all in good areas for a family.
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:13 AM

I highly recommend the agency aplacelikehomelondon.com.

I rented a flat for a week last summer and was more than pleased with both the service and the apartment.
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:59 AM

Try Londonconnection.com. They also have a Paris link.

If you're like me, you will be amazed at how much more expensive Paris listings are...

We have similar plans, in terms of time of the year, and I will be interested in what you discover. Post a follow-up, if you will...

Good luck,

Jim
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:01 PM

I checked out the rates for E&amp;E Apartments, and they are great!

This is definitely a website I've bookmarked for my trip next year.

Janis - I didn't notice an address for the apartments - are they all at the same location/same building? If you don't mind, could you tell me a bit more about the area the apartments are in - proximity to tube stations, restaurants, etc.
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:40 PM

I highly recommend London Choice at www.londonchoice.com. We use them frequently. They are the best by far...book with confidence.
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:23 PM

we rented a lovely and spacious 2-bedroom apt. in paris last april. one double bed, two twin beds, and a sofa bed if needed. good sized bathroom as well. it is in the 4th arr., the marais, which we consider an ideal base for all the main tourist sites. two metro lines within walking distance, as well as many bus lines.

the website is: http://www.vrbo.com/15502

enjoy your trip!
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:39 PM

chepar: About the flats from E &amp; E. No two are alike. They are all individually owned and the &quot;E&amp;E Ladies&quot; Edwina and Elaine just manage them. All will have the same general amenities but some are furnished more basically and some are on the posh side.

The flats are almost all w/i the area bewteen Victoria station and the River. Therefore all are going to be near or very near to either the Victoria or Pimlico tube stations. Especially Pimlico is a very nice residential area right next to the river and near Tate Britain.

Also in the same general area are a very nice Sainsbury supermarket w/ deli and prepared foods sections, an EasyEverything internet cafe, many pubs, restaurants and excellent transport options.

the only &quot;quirk&quot; is that they will not guarantee a specific flat. You pay for a certain size - but the exact location won't be known until you check in. This is one way they manage to keep the prices down. They don't tie up flats for partial weeks waiting for the next tennant, and have flexibility if someone decides to stay over longer than they booked.

So you pay for what you need - and IF all flats of that type are full they will upgrade you to a larger one for no extra money.
Old May 26th, 2005, 11:17 AM

janis- thank you very much for your very helpful reply.

These apartments are sounding like something that will definitely work for us next year. As long as we are near to a tube station, we'll be fine.

I had been thinking about going through Priceline for our trip, but I think my dad would really appreciate the additional space an apartment gives over a hotel room.
Old May 26th, 2005, 12:19 PM

Both Londonperfect and Parisperfect seem to be very popular. Friends have stayed with both agencies and were quite pleased with the accommodations.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -