Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best place to rent a car for Italy--suggestions needed (p/u Sorrento, d/o Florence)

Notices

Best place to rent a car for Italy--suggestions needed (p/u Sorrento, d/o Florence)

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 11:20 AM
TeeGirl

We will rent a car for 1 week +/- a few days and I know we need to do this from the US. Any reputable companies? We will most likely pick the car up in Sorrento and drop it off in Florence.

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 11:38 AM
rex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many people feel that autoeurope.com is the only name you need to know in Europe car rental.

Still, I comparison shop:

www.its-cars-hotels.com
www.kemwel.com

and

www.travelocity.com

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 12:42 PM

I've gone through Auto Europe for all of my past rentals in Italy but this year I saved $85 over AutoEurope's rate for a comparable rental using Nova:

http://rentacar-europe.com/
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 01:22 PM

I just rented from Hertz for 7 days with pickup in Rome and dropoff in Venice for $265. Its a manual intermediate. I think its a great deal.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 01:46 PM
rex

Make sure it includes al the insurance(s), which you cannot legally decline.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 01:54 PM

always use kemwell 1-800-678-0678 (maggiore/europecar/europa in italy) the us people have always looked out for me, gotten any refunds, etc promptly and argued with the italians if necessary....15 yrs. good rates, good service....
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 04:43 PM

We got a good deal from Nova too, picking up in Florence and dropping off in Sorrento, so presumably you can also pick up in Sorrento and drop off in Florence.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 06:37 AM

I would recommend auto europe as we used them last year. One bit of advice...make sure you get directions of how to get to the drop off location. We also dropped our car in Florence....let's just say that was the MOST STRESSFUL part of our trip. Driving in Florence was a nightmare and we had no idea how to find the car company office. We finally stopped at a tourist office for directions....this was not fun! I would do this again only if I had a map detailing where I was to drop of the car. GOOD LUCK!
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 03:29 PM

As to comparison shopping for auto rental, I have read that kemwel is now owned by autoeurope. Both have the same Portland, Maine office address on their respective websites.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 03:39 AM

"Message: I just rented from Hertz for 7 days with pickup in Rome and dropoff in Venice for $265. Its a manual intermediate. I think its a great deal."

This sound impossible to me. It's less than half half of what I see quoted from the cheapest places and Hertz is not among the cheapest. You'd better check to see if it covers all the mandatory insurance. I'll bet it doesn't.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 12:02 PM

I just booked through Kemwel this past weekend for a week in June in Italy. I also asked them about Auto Europe, as both of their websites looked nearly identical in the place where you put in your criteria (car type, etc.). I was told they are sister companies.

Anyway, I had checked rates for several weeks on both of those, and several others and found Kemwel was cheaper than Auto Europe by about $50. They are very helpful on the phone also, and assured me that if their rates go down between now and departure (June), they will refund the difference.