Best place to Hike & Sleep in Ischia?

Jan 30th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Best place to Hike & Sleep in Ischia?

My husband and are going to Ischia for 3 days of hiking and relaxation in late July. Would love suggestions for strenuous hikes/trail runs on the Island plus cute but inexpensive (under $150 for the two of us per night with a sea view)pensions/hotels. We are thinking of spending all three nights in Sant' Angelo as we've heard it's quiet and quaint. Thanks!
Feb 1st, 2006, 02:56 AM

go to www.ischia.it and www.ischiaonline.it Most hotels have a sea view because basically everything is on the side of the volcano. Not much is on flat ground. Sant Angelo is perfect and I know you would love Casa Celestino and San Michele. The San Michele is also a therme. I know the owners and they are wonderful people. They speak English also. There are so many hotels it's hard to recommend one.

Many Germans stay on Ischia and love to hike and climb. I know there are many trails. Your hotel would be able to help you with it. You can hike up to the top of the volcano. Sant Angelo has hiking right there.

Our family is there so we go often.
Feb 1st, 2006, 03:01 AM

OOPPs, San Michele is too expensive. If you go to the Celestino which is a fabulous 2 start, it is the sister of the San Michele and you can hike up there to use the therme.

But there are a lot of hotels on ischiaonline and you can search around for what you like.
Feb 1st, 2006, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ann. We are only going to be on Ischia for 3nights/4days and we want to use one place as our "base" for hiking/excursions on the island. So you would recommend, out of all the towns on the island, that we stay in Sant'Angelo and use it as our base? -- It seems quaint, quite and beautiful, which is what we are seeking.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 06:49 AM

Yes, I can't recommend Sant Angelo enough. You mentioned late July. I can tell you that nowhere in the whole area...Capri, Amalfi, etc will be quiet. It is a very busy time of the year. It is also very very hot. However you plan to get around the island...bus, taxi or car, you park or are let off outside of the village and walk in. Other than the piazza, everything is up....a real hike up. It is a good place to start. A hotel that is up the hill that is good is the Lorelai. I don't think it is too expensive. All of the island is gorgeous.
Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ann. Unfortunately, this is the only time we can go so . . . thanks for your suggestion of the Lorelai. I'm waiting to hear from them on availability. Have you ever heard of Casa Eugenio? It is inexpensive (45 euro/night)and simple but looks quaint and is a very homey-looking place.
Feb 3rd, 2006, 02:51 PM

Sorry I spelled Loreley wrong. I don't know Casa Eugenio but it does look really good. It looks like it's up pretty high which is good for you as far as quiet and hiking up and down. Watch the prices. The prices are usually per person. The 45 euro is probably 90 for two. Still good.

Hotels down near the piazza can be loud at night because the restaurants stay open late.

I totally understand about the only time you can go. I have had to go in the summer sometimes but just be prepared for the heat and humidity. Also, on Ischia (Capri and Procida the same) drink bottled water in the summer. Because fresh water is limited, in the summer when the islands are full of tourists, they bring water in with tankers. That water isn't that great. On the mainland you don't have that problem and the water is great.

If you don't mind putting your e-mail in the message, I will e-mail you with information.
Feb 5th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ann. You can email me at [email protected]
Feb 5th, 2006, 03:25 PM
ABENDIGO

Hi! on www.travelplan.it there is a free printable bookguide about Ischia. I'm going to be on Ischia the first week of July. I'll be staying in Ischia Ponte at "Hotel Europa" (near "Castello Aragonese") for 88 Euros for a double room with breakfast. I don't know if this helps you. I haven't been there yet, but I've been doing a lot of research about the island.

These are the Ischia websites I've checked:

www.ischia.it
www.ischia.org
www.ischia.us
www.ischiainpillole.com
www.ischiainpillole.it
www.ischiaitaly.net
www.ischiamarket.com
www.ischiaprenotazioni.it
www.ischiatravelweb.it
www.ischiatravelweb.com
www.ischiaweb.it

On www.capriweb.com (information about Ischia and the sites on every borough)

There are some suggested itineraries on www.ischiaweb.it on the island for each borough, although the website is in italian.

Good luck!

Feb 5th, 2006, 07:05 PM
ABENDIGO

on www.comuneischia.it there 4 suggested walks on the island:

1. Ischia on foot (Ischia a Piedi)
2. Aragonese Ischia (Ischia Aragonese)
3. Green Ischia (Ischia Verde)
4. Fairytale Ischia (Ischia Fabiesca)

There is a map for each walk and explanations in italian.

You could use an online translator (in case you don't speak Italian) and see if they seem appealing to you.

Feb 5th, 2006, 07:55 PM

amazing views of the entire island and i think it was $100/night when i stayed:

http://www.albergoilmonastero.it/en/default.asp

simple rooms.
Feb 6th, 2006, 03:37 AM

Abendigo: Ischia Ponte is a great village but hamburger wants hiking and trails. She also wants some quiet. Ischia Ponte is a busy village and where it's located is not condusive to walking out of the hotel and starting on a hike. In Sant Angelo she can do that. Ischia Ponte in a very populated area. I love Ischia Ponte but then again I love all of the villages in Ischia.