Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   best place to get euros for Ireland trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-place-to-get-euros-for-ireland-trip-978576/)

pfarrell3413 May 20th, 2013 06:53 PM

best place to get euros for Ireland trip

My son and daughter are leaving on a trip to Ireland this week. I'm not sure how or where would e the best place to get euros. I thought I'd just go to t he local Chase bank, but after reading another forum I see Chase will charge for doing this? Please help us figure out the best way to handle money when traveling internationally as this is their first time.

thanks

Seamus May 20th, 2013 07:44 PM

At the ATM when they land at the airport in Ireland. No need to have euro before then. No matter where you get euro there will be some cost, whether overtly disclosed or embedded via a less favorable exchange rate. Best option is to use credit card whenever possible, obtain euro from ATM in Ireland to have cash for smaller purchases.
Also, be aware that credit card charges should be run in euro, not dollars. Some merchants (seems especially common in Ireland) will offer to run the charge in dollars, called dynamic currency conversion, making it sound like it is a better deal - it is decidedly not better.

Be sure to notify bank prior to departure that they will be traveling abroad so that using the ATM or credit card does not appear to be potential fraud resulting in the card being declined.

joannyc May 20th, 2013 07:45 PM

Best way is to use your ATM card at an ATM machine upon arrival at the airport in Ireland. You get the best exchange rate this way.

I have a high yield checking account with Cap One so there is not even any ATM usage fee. They reimburse it to my account.

When using the ATM, do not select the dynamic currency conversion option! Costs you more!

Rastaguytoday May 20th, 2013 07:45 PM

At the Cash Machine (ATM) or bank in the airport.

There's a bank and numerous ATMs at the Dublin airport.

Go to google, type in the airport name and look for terminal map.

That should be easy, and the rates are much better than the US.

joannyc May 20th, 2013 07:47 PM

Seems Seamus and I were posting at the same time!

Also, make sure their PIN for the ATM card is 4 digits, not longer.

Tony2phones May 21st, 2013 12:34 AM

DO NOT bring Travellers Cheques,,There are still guide books recommending them But NO Irish bank will cash them. Let your Bank know you will be in Ireland and find from Them how much They will charge you for using an Irish ATM (which does not charge foreign cards only Irish ones).

jaja May 21st, 2013 06:14 AM

Be sure that their travel money is in a checking account because Irish ATMs don't give you a choice of checking/saving. And many of the ATMs don't have letters on the keypad so they need to know their PIN in numbers.

Also be sure to use banks' ATMs and not the commercial ones because the commercial ones will charge a fee.

Southam May 21st, 2013 06:35 AM

Before handing over your credit card for every little purchase, read the fine print in your card agreement. Mine imposes a fee for every foreign currency transaction, making it cheaper at the end of the day to pay cash for small items. I use a debit card, not credit, to take out a significant amount once from an ATM with only a single fee. But not all cards work the same.

catherinehaas May 21st, 2013 06:40 AM

Something also to consider, as I did after being stuck in Ireland with an ATM card the bank had shut off because of international transactions (no, first trip and did not notify them), I opened a second checking account at the same bank. This allows for easy transfer of funds if something happens to my ATM card (theft, lost, card eaten, gets damaged, etc). I can sign in online or call my bank and transfer funds. I have an ATM/VISA card attached to that account as well. Just make sure that all your accounts are accessible online and transfers happen immediately.

I also always keep some money set aside for emergencies. If my ATM card goes down and I need to get to a computer, I make sure that there is always 50euro just for emergency travel. I do not use internet cafes to log into my bank. I use my Ipad with a secured internet connection, usually through my hotel.

Ireland is a beautiful place and was my first trip abroad. I absolutely loved it!!!

mapesfamily May 21st, 2013 09:17 AM

Thanks so much for posting this question! I was just about to head to my bank this afternoon to order some Euros. Now I will simply make sure that my ATM card is ready to be used in Ireland. We depart the USA in 11 days!!!

Tony2phones May 21st, 2013 11:42 AM

"Also be sure to use banks' ATMs and not the commercial ones because the commercial ones will charge a fee."
False..In Ireland (ROI) anyway no Irish ATM can Legally charge for use. As stated before it is the bank which Issues the card that charges, not the machine.

anyegr May 21st, 2013 11:57 AM

Are they going to be only in Ireland or in Northern Ireland too? It's two different currencies with different exchange rates. Gave me a headache when I tried to keep track of costs and compare prices on my trip in 2009.

jaja May 21st, 2013 07:56 PM

Tony, sorry to be giving out incorrect information. Perhaps that is a fairly new law?

The one place where we did encounter this was in NI, now that I think about it.

Tony2phones May 21st, 2013 11:42 PM

Northern Ireland is UK where ATM's are allowed to Charge in fact some Bank based ATM's in urban city areas Charge which has been a contentious issue.

The beauty of forums is that not everyone agrees on every point and as the answer above an island with two legal and financial systems can be a nightmare. Just wait until Scotland get their independence and the UK refuse to let them use £ Sterling!!

mapesfamily May 22nd, 2013 02:10 PM

My bank limits ATM withdrawals to $300 per day. Do the ATM's in Ireland stick with the euro equivalent of that or could I get more?

jaja May 22nd, 2013 03:08 PM

Your bank will decide how much they can withdraw from anywhere. Your options are more than one ATM card on the account, or asking your bank to increase their withdrawal limit temporarily.
And yes, the Irish ATMs will limit how much they can get in a day but someone like Tony will know more about the number.

Seamus May 22nd, 2013 06:52 PM

mapes - your bank will have set a cap on the total amount you can withdraw per day. Good idea to check with them on what it is in case you need to request that it be temporarily increased while you travel. The bank may or may not agree to it (my CU will not, ever) but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Some (many) ATMs will also limit the amount you can withdraw per transaction but it is usually a reasonable amount.
When using the ATM overseas keep in mind that you want to withdraw the max at each session as you pay a service charge per use along with any foreign exchange fee calculated as a percentage of the amount you withdraw. So better to take out 300 at once than 100 three times.

Tony2phones May 23rd, 2013 12:44 AM

Maximum I can take from my UK account is £400 set by my bank for overseas transactions. the most I have taken from my Irish account at a machine is €500 again set by my bank. Not sure what the maximum might be or if indeed there is one other than one agreed between you and your card provider.

Rubicund May 23rd, 2013 12:51 AM

I have a company ATM card linked to a UK bank account with a daily limit of £1500. However, most ATM's won't allow a withdrawal at that level. What you do is to keep putting the card back into the ATM until you reach your daily limit.