Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best place to enjoy a glass of wine and a great view?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just curious...<BR>What is the best place in Europe to enjoy a good glass of wine in a nice relaxing atmosphere, and at the same time enjoy a great view?<BR>Please give the exact name of the bar/restaurant and its exact location if you can remember.<BR>Thank you.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 03:21 PM

No recommendation for a specific bar/restaurant but my favorite place for wine with a great view is the Piazza della Rotonda in Rome. The magnificent Pantheon is the backdrop to a stage with all types of interesting actors.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 03:33 PM

In Vernazza in Cinque Terre - out on the breakwater there is an outdoor patio with umbrella/tables. You can enjoy the beauty of the little city with it's colorful buildings tumbling down to meet the water and then turn around and enjoy the sea with all the fishing boats returning with their catches, sipping a glass of wine and nibbling on olives. Ah,,
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 03:38 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure everyone has a different answer. My favorite place was the rooftop area of the Hotel Hermitage in Firenze. Every afternoon, after a day of walking and sight-seeing, my wife, myself and another couple traveling with us would sip wine and look out over the Ponte Vecchio and realize we had to be the luckiest people in the world. To me attitude is everything, and how could you be anything but just thankful for the opportunity to do what we were doing. We met a lot of other guests while staying and just shared travel story upon travel story (of course, the more we drank, the more we shared). The feeling of contentment, just sitting on top of the Hotel Hermitage, has stayed with me for two years, and I am sure it will stay with me forever.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 03:45 PM

There is a magnificent little restaurant near the fountain in Chateauneuf du Pape that has a terrace area that looks back to Avignon about 10 miles away.<BR><BR>It just doesn't get better than that view when combined with a bottle of CDP and my wife!<BR><BR>US
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 03:47 PM

Aschach an der Donau in Austria. The place is called Faust Schloessel.<BR>Great Austrian wine with a beautiful view of the Danube. Food is excellent there also. Makes for a wonderful place to stay too.<BR>Also, almost any restaurant in Durnstein, Austria. Great views of the Danube and Wachau valley combine with spectacular wine.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 03:50 PM

The view from the restaurant in Gornergrat towards the Matterhorn. Sit up there with the wine, some cheese and bread and it is close to heaven, literally too.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 10:11 PM

The terrace of the Pierhouse in Port Appin, Argyllshire, on a hot day looking out across Loch Linnhe
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 12:06 AM

My back porch---looking out over Lake Luzern. The wine is whatever you desire! ;-)<BR><BR>Cheers to all,<BR>Jan
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 12:23 AM

Last May, after a day of hiking, we returned to our 2 star hotel Primavera. Our room had a balcony facing Matterhorn. Bought a pitcher of ros&eacute; at the hotel bar and sat at the sunny balcony watching Matterhorn changing colors till almost sunset.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 03:31 AM

St. Marco's Piazza in Venice. There are restaurants along both sides of the square - pick one. They usually have musicians playing outdoors in the evenings, you can sit and people watch and look at the Cathedral. It is wonderful!
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 03:36 AM
RAR

Who needs a restaurant to enjoy wine and a good view Take your favorite red up to the top of Cortona, sit, and relax as the world spreads out below you.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 03:52 AM

The observation deck of Samarataine department store in Paris.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 04:07 AM
ira

Hi<BR> I have a fondness for the garden of the Pension Dientzenhofer in Prague. Looks out over a millstream to the park.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 04:11 AM

internetconnect,<BR><BR>Thanks greatly for this wonderful thread. I'll print it after it gets real full &amp; fat, and then I'll try to experience most of these interludes myself!<BR><BR>Anyway, mine is the outdoor cafe Terrasses du Pavillon at the Port du Territet between Montreux &amp; the Chateau de Chillon on Lake Geneva. I like to sit there and watch the parade of international folks pass along the lakeside promenade, the children playing on the swings on the right, the sailboats on the lake, and of course those incredible mountains rising in France across the lake.<BR><BR>Hey Slojan! No fair!!<BR><BR>s
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 04:15 AM

Vienna in the Stadtpark on a lovely fall evening listening to the orchestra and watching the Viennese walzers while enjoying an Austrian white wine in one of those glasses with the green stems made of concentric cirles of green glass. <BR><BR>Honfleur watching the harbor with its reflections of sailboats from any of the surrounding cafes on a sunny afternoon. <BR>Cassis from Chez Gilbert watching the boats in the harbor, Cap Canaille in the background and children playing in the foreground. <BR>Positano from the balcony of the Covo dei Sarceni hotel watching the waves crash over the breakwater in the evening of a day with uncharacteristically high seas for September.<BR>At the Krone Hotel in Aussmannshausen looking out the window in twilight at the traffic on the Rhine. <BR>In the bar and then strolling outside to the pool area of the Chateau Chevre d'Or in Eze to look down at the Mediterranean on the Cote d'Azur. <BR>On the patio after a lovely dinner at Il Pelicano listening to piano music and hearing the whistle of the wind in the tall pines between the hotel and the pool and the sea below. <BR>In the garden of the Auberge de L'Ille in Illheusern on a sunny day as the lazy Ille drifts by under low hanging weeping willows and knowing that a fabulous meal awaits following the apertifs. <BR>But wait, there's more.....
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 04:23 AM

<BR>Dinner on a summer evening at one of my favourite summer hangout spots right on the Lake of Zurich, the 'Seerose' (Water Lily), Seestrasse 493, Zurich.<BR>A very cool place. And the food, oh my, I can't wait till its terrace will be open again.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 04:27 AM
LJ

The picnic table outside the farmhouse (rooms with kitchens for rent) section of the Castello t'Oscano nr. Perugia in Umbria. <BR><BR>Take your wine and your al fresco dinner purchased during a wonderful day of sightseeing in Deruta, Gubbio and environs, put your swimsuit on so you can dip in the pool if you get too warm. <BR><BR>Gaze on the fields of sunflowers as the sun sets over the rolling green hills of an Umbrian countryside that hasn't changed in 1000 years.Sheer bliss for all the senses...
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 04:29 AM

At the tiny creperie in Menaggio at the crest of the hill coming up from town to the Grand Hotel Menaggio, on the deck with grape vines overhead and a view out on to Lake Como. <BR>On the floating dock off the Europa Regina hotel in Venice at twilight with a view onto the Santa Maria della Salute church--champagne and those wonderfully crisp potato chips. <BR>In any sidewalk cafe of Paris but especially the Cafe Beauborg with its infinte people-watching possibilities and a small bar of unremembered name on the left bank by a tiny square near the Ma Maison restaurant just off the Blvd. St. Germain. <BR>Vaduz Leichtenstein seated outside of the Torkel restaurant in the vineyards of the Prince with vines as far as the eye can see enjoying a glass of Vaduzer, the Prince's own wine, of recently improved quality. <BR>But my favorite place for a wonderful glass of wine with a great view is not in Europe at all, but rather in California at the Artesa winery (previously Cordorniu) where you can enjoy a bottle of the Cordornui Napa sparkling wine overlooking a serene and surreal landscape of swaying grasses and wind driven fountains and the whole of the Carneros wine region.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 04:40 AM

The patio of Al Costello restaurant high above the little harbor in Vernazza...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -