Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Place to Eat in Paris, Amsterdam, Vienna, Prague, Venice & Rome...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and a friend of mine will be travelling to Europe and definitely try as much as European cuisine that we can. It will be a 3 week trip, so it may cost a lot of money. That is why im asking you guys for suggestions on which are the places, areas or even restaus that are having great tasting food but in reasonable price. We also love pubs and chocolate& souvenirs shops if you may suggest. Thanks in advance.!
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 05:30 AM

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...e_Bohemia.html Prague restaurant that has a brewery on the premises.

Also, you might want to hone that list of yours. I got tired just reading the list of cities!
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 05:49 AM

Hostaria Costanza's in Rome. Also, Il Barcaro is another option in Rome.
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 06:19 AM

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTop...lo_Travel.html
This is my recent trip report from my Late may trip lots of suggestions there with links to the places I visited.
I am a regular traveller to Prague and can reccommend maing lower and mid end places. aside from the places mentioned in the trip report try Klasterini Pivovar,U Medvidku,Cafe Louvre,Kolkovna group of resturants,and Resturant Sklep.
Yodababe mentions Pivorasky Dum,I tried to get in there with a groupf of friend but had no luck,heard it pretty good.
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 06:38 AM

Define "reasonable price" in dollars or euros.

There is no "European cuisine" there are many different cuisines in Europe, just as there are many different cuisines in the US.
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 10:29 PM

Prague
http://www.avantgarde-prague.com/nig...ck-restaurant/
Cannot recommend highly enough, just really special.

Paris
Verjusparis.com
Awesome.

Amsterdam
http://www.restaurantdekas.nl/
One of the most special places we've eaten........we were there in the new year when the park was covered by a blanket of snow.....magical. All these were booked well in advance.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

yodababe, i dont get to take a leave very often so i wanna make the most out of it. We will be in Paris for 5 days then 2 days each in Amsterdam, then Vienna, then Prague, then Venice, and maybe 4-5 days in Rome, then back to Paris. It will be an exhausting yet great trip.

catherinehaas, have you heard about this La Parolaccia in traverse? My Italian friend recommended this to me. However, i ve read in the reviews that its "offensive". have you heard of it.?

Unclegus, read your report.. pretty awesome and super helpful. super long, took me all nyt to read it (im exaggerating). Is the beer festival somewhat similar to that of Germany's Octoberfest? but in May?

Aussidreamer, thanks for the links. that blue duck restau looks interesting and the prices are decent.

Thanks guys for all of your inputs.!
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 11:39 AM

The beer festival in prague is very Different from the octoberfest in Munich ,much more for the beer lover rather than those that want just to get pissed. I have been every year aprt from its very first year. great fun and loads of beers to try,
http://www.ceskypivnifestival.cz/en/czech/prague-2013/
if you search Trip Advisor there are loads of my various Trip reports from all the festivals ,plus other trips on there.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 01:03 PM
ekc

Have you checked out the various forums on Chowhound? Really good recs.

If you have a smartphone, I recommend the Eat Rome, Eat Venice and Parla's Rome apps.

Giving us a general per meal budget would be helpful. I love L'Atelier du Joel Robuchon in Paris, but it does no good to recommend it if your budget is 30 euros for dinner.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 03:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You might want to narrow it down to the part of each city you will be in. I doubt you'd want to go all the way across a huge city like Rome or Paris just to eat a meal at an inexpensive place someone recommends here.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 04:32 PM

My husband and I were in Rome in February. We ate very, very good (and reasonably priced) meals at:

Armando al Pantheon
Flavio al Velavevodetto
Pizzarium
da Remo

Our bill at Flavio's was less than 50 Euro (two pasta courses, one main & one dessert plus wine), and at Pizzarium we went twice and never spent more than 15 Euro.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 07:58 PM

Our best meal in Paris was when we went to the baguette stand, bought ham and cheese baguette, and a bottle of water, walked 50 metres to the Seine, and had lunch sitting on the banks of the seine looking out at Notre Dame. probably cost 5 euros. better than any restaurant we went to, certainly more rememorable.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 08:37 PM

memorable, you know what I mean.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 12:25 AM

I agree with leuk2 ! you might try that out in the Luxembourg Gardens or in the Tuileries too !
as for a restaurant, I can only but recommend Les Papilles in the 5th arrondissement. (http://www.petitfute.uk.com/restaura...s/e-22132.html)
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of your suggestions...

unclegus, guess I would have to try to attend next year on May-June for that.

ekc, thanks for sharing those apps. I will check it out. Our budget can be 50 euros per meal when it comes to Paris & Rome, or is Amsterdam and Vienna more expensive.

Leuk2, I will also try Parisian street food, if they have some. Ham & Cheeze baguette sounds lovely.!

Steph, Thanks for the link looks yummy,hopefully no reservations needed.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 12:35 PM

Well, in Rome to eat well and pretty inexpensively, for me it is the pizza at Forno or at Roscioli, both in Campo die Fiori. It is sold by the portion size you order. The Pizza Bianca at Forno is simple but heavenly. At Roscioli (the bakery, not the restaurant) it's gotta be the pizza pomodoro.

In Paris, next to Le Comptoir in the 6th, L'Avant Comptoir sells huge crepes at the window and they are also pretty cheap.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 12:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Our budget can be 50 euros per meal when it comes to Paris & Rome, or is Amsterdam and Vienna more expensive.>>

that really won't get you a lot in most of Europe. We just got back from a trip to Brittany and most restaurants were showing menus for at least €20 for 2 courses or €25 for 3; if you ate "a la carte" it was a lot more. And that's without drinks or coffee. We did have one excellent meal for €55 but that was an exception.

of course if you ate in creperies and snack bars it would be cheaper, but you don't want to do that every day for 3 weeks.

you could cut your costs by staying in apartments but you really need to stay for 3 days or more in one place to make it worthwhile - another good reason for cutting down your destinations, IMO.
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 05:46 AM

bookmarking restaurants
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 06:57 AM

"have you heard about this La Parolaccia in traverse? "

No. If your friend is telling you that it was offensive, I would take that to heart. The place that I was talking about, Costanza's was amazing. We had made our reservations ahead of time and they were just delightful for our return to this restaurant. They use fresh fruits that you can see in the cases at the entrance. The owner gave us a basket of fruit for breakfast because he knew we were staying in an apartment and did not want us to have to buy food. So, as you can see, the love for this place is because it is truly unique and operated by a special group of people. A colleague of mine went to Rome and eat here. He said he was treated like a king.
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 07:39 AM

Second the vote for Les Papilles in Paris, but keep in mind there is no menu there - you eat what they give you but that's part of the charm, once you all eat most things... we had a lovely soup, then a Duck dish with veg and potatoes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -