Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best place to drop off car - Orvieto or Spoletto? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-place-to-drop-off-car-orvieto-or-spoletto-900665/)

Tommmo Jul 28th, 2011 07:16 PM

Best place to drop off car - Orvieto or Spoletto?

Heading back to Rome after our visit, we can drop off the rental car in either Orvieto or Spoletto and then train on.
Any opinions on the better town to spend a while before leaving please? Good places to stay while there ...under $100 dbl. are also most welcome....

Tommmo Jul 28th, 2011 09:39 PM

This is for mid September by the way....

bellini Jul 29th, 2011 01:37 AM

Depends on what you're looking for...we took the train from Rome to Orvieto, spent 5 days touring the area, ended up in Spoleto for 3 days and took the train back to Rome from there. Both towns are wonderful in different ways.

qwovadis Jul 29th, 2011 03:02 AM

Drop off fees too high for me to do this

usually just do a RT with tigercarrentals.com

from 200 euro/wk or one of the Reanault Eurodrive Leases

that have no one way drop fees.

But of your 2 Orvieto has the straightest shot direct to Rome

Paid 4 euro for a regional train from there in May

Paid 100 euro for Hotel Grand Italie nice pretty etruscan

hill town lots to see and do so of your 2 would do that.

But I would train or do a RT car rental not a 1 way drop

due to cost.

madamtrashheap Jul 29th, 2011 03:28 AM

<i>Depends on what you're looking for</I#i>
Yeah, what I was going to say! Both towns worth a visit, and depends on where you're coming from on the day you want to drop your car off. Spoleto would be convenient if coming from a Perugia direction, but if coming from Siena/Montepulciano direction, then you could always do a morning/lunch stop in Spoleto, head over to Orvieto and stay there for a night (or 2) before training to Rome (1hr20m journey). If you want to use either as a base to explore the area then that would work too.

I guess if I had to choose, I would go with Orvieto. Hotel Corso is one I know of which might fit your budget.

bobthenavigator Jul 29th, 2011 03:38 AM

Orvieto !

alane Jul 29th, 2011 04:21 AM

be careful.....car rental agencies are closed on sundays .... we dropped our car off at fimuciano airport in rome then spent 5 days in the city ....was easy..

charnees Jul 29th, 2011 09:48 AM

Actually, the car rental agency in Orvieto closes at 12:30 on Saturday and is not open until Monday.

Jean Jul 29th, 2011 03:17 PM

Both agency locations in Spoleto are closed Saturday afternoons and all day on Sundays. They also close for a few hours at lunch.

Tommmo Jul 29th, 2011 05:34 PM

We are probably using Auto Europe car rental - because they allow no drop-off fee in Orvieto - this would be on a Friday.

And we leave Rome a couple of days later from Ciampino (Rome -Rhodes direct)

Dayle Jul 29th, 2011 05:51 PM

Tommmo,

I've rented and dropped in different towns/cities on each of my trips and never a drop off charge. Not even when we changed plans and dropped off in a diff town on a diff day.

2 times Autoeurope
1 time Hertz

I would definitely spend a couple nights in Orvieto - one of my very favorite towns!

Buon viaggio

Tommmo Jul 30th, 2011 04:44 PM

Bobthenavigator you chose Orvieto over Spoletto - can I ask why you prefer it?

Looks like our car hire questions are sorted, thanks all.

bobthenavigator Jul 30th, 2011 06:18 PM

Sure, proximity of the rental office to the train station--and the town is a must see for me. Consider driving into town first and then drop the car---there is parking just behind the spectacular Duomo. The station and car drop are in the lower town---Orvieto Scalo.

Tommmo Jul 30th, 2011 06:31 PM

Thanks bob....looking forward to it and have a night there.

Tommmo Jul 30th, 2011 07:10 PM

As many forumers suggest Kemwel I'm giving them a try too. Let's see if they really will match another's offer.