Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best Place to buy a Money Belt (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-place-to-buy-a-money-belt-418949/)

kct Apr 4th, 2004 04:23 PM

Best Place to buy a Money Belt

I need to buy a money belt in the next week. I live in a large metropolitan area so if someone can recommend a chain that carrys the under clothes money belt, I'll check out a location here in my city.

Maybe the Travel 2000 stores - or a luggage store?

stormygirl Apr 4th, 2004 04:28 PM

any luggage store, REI, even Macy's or other dept. stores in the luggage dept. will have them.

francophile03 Apr 4th, 2004 04:29 PM

Yes, luggage stores sell them.

In which city are you living? That would help to name some specific stores.

jv827 Apr 4th, 2004 04:30 PM

Ditto everything stormygirl said, and even the luggage section of Target...

grantop Apr 4th, 2004 04:33 PM

A luggage store, Target, or Brookstone

giro Apr 4th, 2004 05:02 PM

if you want extra money to place in your belt, go to target...same samsonite brand as elsewhere!

WillTravel Apr 4th, 2004 05:04 PM

I'd be curious to hear about people's preferences for a neck pouch vs. an under-the-clothes money belt.

Travelnut Apr 4th, 2004 05:10 PM

Bought hubby a 'leg safe' for the next trip..he isn't into the waist version and didn't like the neck version...He's tried on the leg one and thinks it will feel ok and be more accessible (for him).
I've been using the waist version forever, but I turn the pouch around to the small of my back and forget about it.

cls2paris Apr 4th, 2004 05:12 PM

I've used both and prefer the one worn around the waist. The one worn around the neck adds additional bulk to my chest and/or stomach (depending on long the cord is) and I don't really need any more bulkiness there. :)

grantop Apr 4th, 2004 05:32 PM

I also use the waist version with the pouch turned around to the small of my back. I can put my passport, credit card and cash in there and I don't have to worry about it.

marcy_ Apr 4th, 2004 05:46 PM

My husband likes the kind that loops over your belt and tucks inside your pants. It's easier to get your money out without feeling like you're disrobing.

Travelnut Apr 4th, 2004 06:02 PM

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that one! Last trip, my hubby used the belt loop one. At security, he had to remove his belt and the pouch slipped off in his slacks and down to the floor, and he didn't notice that (someone pointed it out to him).

michigandra Apr 4th, 2004 06:34 PM

They also carry travel supplies (money belts, electrical adapter kits, hairdryers, etc.) at the large office supply stores like Office Depot.

crepes_a_go_go Apr 4th, 2004 07:05 PM

If you get the waist pouch, be aware that there are two different kinds. One has an elastic belt, but the other has a web belt which does not stretch. It is frightful - will rub you raw! With the elastic waist one, you can move it around easily, and I find it very convenient to reach under my blouse, pull it down a bit and get out money or credit card discretely. I buy them in the luggage section of Walmart for around $6.

illusion321 Apr 4th, 2004 07:12 PM

wal mart has them

luugis Apr 4th, 2004 07:24 PM

Just saw a nice selection of all of these things in our AAA office...