Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best place/time to buy Europe flights (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-place-time-to-buy-europe-flights-155466/)

kevin Feb 5th, 2002 02:12 PM

Best place/time to buy Europe flights

My wife and I are looking to go to Spain in June. I see plenty of good fares, but they all expire in March. <BR><BR>Are there always deals or will I get screwed by waiting?<BR><BR>thanks,

Rex Feb 5th, 2002 04:24 PM

Do NOT expect that a fare available now for travel in March will necessarily EVER be available for travel in June. Price fares for travel in June now. If you ever see them 25% lower than they are now, be perpared to buy them quickly.<BR><BR>If a month from now, the fares all look higher than they are now, then - - yep - - you got screwed. Buy the cheapest you can find between now and mid- to late- March (though there is never a guarantee a better deal might or might not get announced in April or May).<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

vrangel Feb 5th, 2002 05:51 PM

Kevin,<BR>I just got a great deal on Northwest Airline's website today for a flight to Madrid in April. I don't know if it will still be there tomorrow. Check it out! <BR> I've been on the look out for the past few weeks for a good deal and finally saw it today. It was much better than the best deals that I saw on Orbitz or Cheaptickets.com. Good luck!

Rex Feb 6th, 2002 08:36 AM

to the top - - for kevin - - and to alert others to this Northwest deal.<BR>

Marie Feb 6th, 2002 09:01 AM

This question is for Rex (since he seems so knowledgeable about air fares) and I would be mich obliged to any one else who would take a minute to answer.<BR><BR>I am travelling to Amsterdam from Boston, returning from Copenhagen in July. The only decent fare I saw was at Bestfares.com. In order to get their really good prices, you have to become a member which costs $60.00. Does anybody know anything about this? I would be immensely grateful for any experience that you can share re this site. Thanks much, Marie

Rex Feb 6th, 2002 09:52 AM

I only know one person who has ever joined bestfares - - Lynn who went on our Fodorites' trip last September. She alerted me to deals mentioned there, but ultimately we didn;t buy there. I have this vague impression that similar deals are also announced on www.smarterliving.com - - ultimately we got the best price from www.thejoyoftravel.com - - the website will not impress you, by the way- - it is more or less just their address and telephone number (too-free - - 1-888-AIR-TIXX).<BR><BR>And I will repeat my earlier advice to try posing your question on the Cheap Flights forum of www.eurotrip.com - - the people there (especially Don) have forgotten more about air travel bargains than most of us will ever know!<BR><BR>You might try them.<BR>

Marie Feb 7th, 2002 01:23 PM

Thank you, den mother, I mean Rex for your advice!! Will take a look at the sites you mention. Thanks again. Marie<BR><BR>

Newbie Feb 7th, 2002 02:10 PM

Rex-Sorry to get off the subject but...<BR>I have been wondering how your trip went and I have looked for trip reports or information from time to time but never came across anything. (I even posted a question about it once and got zero response). So how did it go? Where are the trip reports located if they exist? And lastly would you ever do it again?<BR>Now back to our regularly scheduled topic!