IS IT SAFE TO TRAVEL TO ITALY

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 12:10 PM
PATTY

IS IT SAFE TO TRAVEL TO ITALY

WITH THE WAR GOING ON AND US AIRCRAFT FLYING OUT OF NORTHERN ITALY, IS IT SAFE TO TRAVEL TO ITALY OR CANCEL OUR SCHEDULED TRIP FOR MAY OF THIS YEAR? WE HAVE A FEW WEEKS TO CANCEL BEFORE WE LOSE A LOT. WHAT DO YOU THINK?
THANKS, PATTY

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 05:14 PM
Paula

As of right now I feel safe enough to call hotels and make reservations in Verona and Florence. We'll be flying in from London. I was in Italy last summer and am going again June 24. Any travel advisories that are posted will be on the state department's website; I haven't seen any for Italy. There is always going to be conflict in the world or some sort of crisis. I was coming home from Russia a couple of weeks after that TWA flight exploded outside of NYC. Security in both the US and Europe was really tight; sometimes those are the safest times. Good Luck.

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 01:34 PM
mwg

We just returned from Italy last week. No problems of any nature at all except that there was a delay in departing from Venice. If the situation convinces people to cancel their vacations, it will be even better for those who stick to their plans. We had a great time.

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 05:12 PM
Debbie

Patty-we just arrived home last week from 9 days in Italy. We flew into Florence and left out of Venice to Brussels(NATO central) to get back to the States. It gave me cause for concern as I realized how close we were to Aviano,etc.-however, my husband (who is a vietnam vet and airline pilot) told me I was nuts and not to worry because they wouldn't be flying their planes that far over,etc. Our flights were noneventful(always good) and the trip over the Alps was magnificent!!! Don't postpone your trip.Its really not in the direct area of conflict and you'll regret not going.Debbie

Old Apr 10th, 1999, 09:12 AM
karie

I was just there for two weeks, was in Venice the day the action was to start and thought, like you, that things would be tense, but I detected no tension of any sort at that time anywhere...that includes Venice (near the Aviano base), Rome, Florence. Almost no one even seemed to be aware that there was anything going on. Actually there seems to be much more of a buzz here (media, etc) than there. I agree with the other posters...unless things have changed, everything was great!

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 05:33 AM
Denise

Don't postpone your trip. We just got back from Tuscany on Friday. The news carries daily reports of the Nato effort, but there is no danger, as I saw it. I didn't come across any anti-American sentiment, in fact, just the opposite. There were tons of American tourists in Florence. My daugher is in Vienna studying and you can also read my reply to a posting about "is it safe to travel to Germany."
Enjoy yourself. I had the greatest time of my life, and please EAT the wonderful food.
Denise