best place for Irish books and music

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone found any really unique Irish book and/or music stores...we will be staying in several different places including Dublin, Galway, Doolin, Ennis, Kenmare, Kinsale, Cahir, Kilkenny, Eniscourthy, and Trim.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 01:59 PM

Actually, the chain bookstores in Ireland typically have a good selection of Irish books, and they usually have a separate Irish section. Sorry, but don't have more specifics.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Ardfert

Dublin`s best bookshop is Hodges Figgis which is in Dawson St.-the street parallel to Grafton St.A short distance away is Celtic Note on Nassau St.(www.celticnote.com) who sell lots of Irish music.You can hear a lot of traditional Irish music in www.rte.ie or the local station www.radiokerry.ie.Almost every town has a bookshop and music shop.Doolin is a village but the music in the pubs is good.

Old Mar 5th, 2003, 06:41 PM

Chip
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 06:45 PM

Chip,<BR><BR>Pardon the above, but the hands-down winner for most extensive, eclectic, and memorable book shop has to be Kennys, located in downtown Galway City. It's a true literary treasure.<BR><BR>Kennys has it all for the Irish book enthusiast, including a terrific selection of &quot;Irish Interest&quot;, two additional floors dedicated to first editions, out-of-print books, antique works, an art gallery, maps, and more. Kennys is well worth a special journey.<BR><BR>Learn more at www.kennys.ie<BR><BR>Best of luck.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 10:52 PM

I totally agree with David about Kenny's!! As soon as I saw that you were going to Galway, that was the first thing that popped into my head. Kenny's rocks!<BR><BR>You are going to two of the best cities for music, Ennis and Doolin. When are you going? In May there is an absolutely amazing music festival in Ennis. In Doolin, you have to hit O'Connor's Pub! Wander in early, order a pint or two and be prepared to be wowed by some of the most amazing local talents as they gather to play. Some sell their &quot;homemade&quot; CD's, I came home with two rare treasures that you can't find in any music store! Enjoy - you will have a blast in Ireland!