Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Place for Christmas in Germany/ New Years in France?

Jan 23rd, 1999, 09:28 PM
Carl

My wife and I are planning to go to Europe for the holidays next year. We will be in Germany for Christmas - most likely in the Munich-Bavaria area. Around New years, we will be in France. I've spent New Years Eve in Paris once before, on the champs Elysees, several years ago when I was a student.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do? We are looking for something romantic, and not quite as crowded as the Champs Elysees. I'm also looking for suggestions of nice restraunts for christmas dinner, or churches for services.

Jan 24th, 1999, 06:09 AM
Fred Mc

Hi Carl.
On our first trip to europe, we spent two weeks in Howeshangau at the hotel Alpenrose.This is where King Ludwig's
Neuschwanstein Casle is located. It is a
very quiet and romantic place to stay.
We were able to take day trips to Munich
by bus and Ausburg by train ( about 2 hrs.) Also we took day rides to different Christmas Markets in Fussen,
Kempton and other towns. Garmish and Innsbrook are another nice day trip.
E-mail me if you would like further info. We are looking forwrd to next fall
for our trip to Vienna and salzburg.

Have Fun

Jan 24th, 1999, 10:38 PM
Carl

Just a word of precaution - be sure to make all hotel arrangements far in advance. From what I've been told, Paris has been booked solid for New Year's 99/00 for over 2 years now. I would imagine finding a hotel anywhere touristy will be difficult this holiday season.

Trina

Jan 26th, 1999, 07:22 PM
Liz

Make sure you get a chance to check out the Christmas markets in Germany. Nurnberg and ROthenburg are very good, albeit a tad touristy. They usually end on Christmas Eve, though.

Jan 27th, 1999, 04:34 PM
Bob

Just returned from Germany in Dec. I would recommend the Garmisch/Oberammergau area for Christmas. You are in the mountains and it is beautiful. The fairs in Rothenburg and Nuremburg are also nice as is Munich. Another nice area to consider is Berchtesgaden. You can stay there and also do an easy day trip to Salzburg...about 1 hour. That entire area also very beautiful and will be great at Christmas. Need any hotel tips, email me.