best place for christmas

Jun 17th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

best place for christmas

I am looking for the best place to spend christmas. No children. My mom and I. Fun, festive, lots to do, lots of decorations. Thank you.
Jun 17th, 2003, 01:16 PM

couple of thoughts - any German town will have the traditional Christmas markets which are wonderful. Heidelburg, Baden Baden, Tribourg, Munich come to mind. However, it might be hard to beat Christmas at St Peter's in Rome.
Jun 17th, 2003, 03:22 PM
AllyPally

BRUGES!!! I went at Christmas in 2000 and it was STUNNING. Christmas market, beautiful decorations, stunning little town, gorgeous stores (with chestnut fires and free mulled wine).

I want to do it again!!

Jun 17th, 2003, 08:16 PM

i think a few days in london and then christmas day at a lovely english inn or hotel in the country...the day after christmas is called boxing day and it is a holiday also...everything will be closed including many restaurants.....

if that doesn't interest you i think a lovely village in bavaia, switzerland or austria would be lovely with the snow and peacfulness...like salzburg or innsbruck or rothenburg o.b. tauber in germany in a nice hotel (2 hours from frankfurt)...
Jun 17th, 2003, 08:52 PM

Three places that I love during the Christmas season:
Copenhagen
Vienna
Munich
I think any of these would fit your description.
Jun 17th, 2003, 09:03 PM

Another vote for Germany and/or Austria. Extremely festive, especially if there's lots of snow! We found Christmas in Switzerland much more subdued, not particularly festive, but nice just the same.

If you want to avoid the holiday crowds in the metro areas, I'd strongly suggest small alpine villages in Germany, such as Berchtesgaden and Mittenwald.

Both make good bases, as they're in alpine settings, but a short distance from cities, so you can have the best of both worlds. Berchtesgaden is a short drive from Salzberg, Austria. Mittenwald is a few hours drive from Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Fussen, Oberstdorf (Germany) and Innsbruck, Austria.
Jun 18th, 2003, 05:00 AM
Bootman4U

Hope you get the answer to your question but I have one of my own..last year was in Berlin and Munich and Prague and they all had their "Christmas markets" going....I saw the same stuff being sold in all three cities and from what I could gather a lot of it consisted of straw ornaments, nutcrackers, etc. I know those cute little "huts" with the decorations and the greenery are nice but was that it? Did I miss something here? I got a much bigger buzz from just going into the absolutely FABULOUSLY decorated Ka-Da-We department store in Berlin. Perhaps it is just a matter of taste/likes and this is NOT meant as a criticism of anyone whose world is rocked by those outside markets...but I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone going to a city just because of that.

Jun 19th, 2003, 06:02 AM

The attraction of German Christmas markets is not based on what they sell. Many of the booths in any such market are naturally devoted to seasonal gift/decorative items that are pretty much the same (with some regional variations) in every market. But most Christmas markets also have booths with local handicrafts, food and drink specialties, manufactured products (ceramics, clothing items, etc.) Most tourists don't go to buy anything, except perhaps some small remebrance.

The real draw of these markets is based on the atmosphere, decorations, local customs, entertainment, and such. Not everyone's cup of tea.
Aug 17th, 2003, 08:19 AM
jay

we just did rome and it was beautiful. on christmas day you could also see the pope. i got a shot of him from 12 feet. it was great.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 08:31 AM

AllyPally - Burges sounds like a great idea. I've always wanted to go there. Can you give some more information? Where did you stay? Any good restaurants? How long were you there for? Is a week too long? I know Bruges is a small town - is there enough to do? (I'm into museums.) Thanks!
Aug 22nd, 2003, 09:09 AM

Until 23 December London is delightful, bustling, with lights, Christmas music, and carol concerts with mince pies. From 24 December to 3 January London is dead. People watch television. So I agree will the many people here who write of Germany and her neighbours.

[email protected]
Aug 22nd, 2003, 09:16 AM

Two years ago my daughter and I spent Christmas in Paris. It was great. There were plenty of restaurants open on Christmas day. It was actually quite crowded all week so the museum pass came in handy. The lights on the Champs were beautiful. The ice rink in front of Hotel deVille was open. We stayed through New Years and had a wonderful time.