Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best place for a relaxing day in Rome? Villa Borghese?

Apr 5th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

I know that the key to having a pleasant two week long trip to Italy with three kids (15, 13 and 10) is to schedule some down time/time away from museums and churches. (Don't suggest a week in a Tuscan Villa because our flats in Rome, Florence and Venice are already booked.)

I had thought that if we booked the 11 am time at the Borghese Gallery about 4 days into our trip, we could have a leisurely morning, then see art for 2 hours, then hang around the park for as long as we wanted in the afternoon. Would that be relaxing, or is there too much walking to get to the various areas of the park (it looks huge!) to be relaxing?

Any thoughts or other suggestions?
Apr 5th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Hi missypie, IMO the Borghese Park is a wonderful place to relax in. I remember one Sunday. We were in Rome for two weeks and suddenly we were tired of all the walking, the sites and sights, LOL. We walked up the Via Veneto and went into the Borghese Park. We had the International Herald Tribune with us. We sat for awhile and read the paper (along with a lot of Italians), watched the youngsters play and just slowly wandered around. Even took a ride on a little train they had (don't know if that is still there or not). It was filled with families with little ones. The conducter grinned at us being on it without any bambini, LOL. A Sunday I will always remember.
Apr 5th, 2006, 08:03 PM

A day at the Borghese park is perfect-just make sure that you have chairs somewhat near a gelato stand?
Apr 5th, 2006, 08:06 PM

We thoroughly enjoyed the gardens at Villa Borghese also. And even though we are "elderly" and were without our college-aged daughter, we rode the train too - and we didn't even get any looks for being without bambini. It was a HOOT, so to speak!

KC
Apr 5th, 2006, 10:57 PM

Hi Knoxville, you two also LOL. I will never forget the conductor, he was so cute. Sort of shook his head and gave us the darlingest grin.

So now missypie, you know how to have some down time, relax in the Borghese Park and take a ride on the choochoo.
Apr 6th, 2006, 02:56 AM

The Borghese actually abuts the Rome Zoo (Bioparco) which can also be quite pleasant to visit.

The whole area is rather spread out but it is usually pretty quiet and affords pleasant walks. And you can drink out of the fountains, too!
Apr 6th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

The choo-choo would be great. Last year at our elementary school carnival, my 15 year old son rode the choo-choo...it was pretty funny.
Apr 6th, 2006, 06:32 AM

Speaking of the zoo, would someone mind sharing a bit of their personal experience with it? How is the presentation, any special highlights or moments you've experienced, any rough estimates of time to dedicate to it? I'm taking my little animal freak next week to see it. Have read about the lion who received gold injections for his arthritis and found that rather interesting. Wonder if that might work on my 19 year old dachshund....
Apr 6th, 2006, 09:20 AM

The zoo is not that large. It would take about 2 hours to see very thoroughly. Long lines to buy tickets though. Parts can be somewhat depressing as a few of the animals (bears, large cats) are still kept in small iron cages. I believe they are working to make all the habitats more natural, but don't expect it to live up to the modern zoos in the USA.