Best Parts of the Alpenstrasse

Old Jul 25th, 2019, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Parts of the Alpenstrasse

My other post didn't get any answers so I'll try this a different way.

Planning a 2 day 1 night trip to the German Alps.
If I don't want to drive the whole Alpenstrasse what's the best points to start and stop? I.E. which part provides the most spectacular/beautiful scenery?
Is the scenery better if I drive partly through Austria?

Should I just focus on one part , e.g. Berchtesgaden or Garmisch-Partenkirchen ?

Last edited by Governator; Jul 25th, 2019 at 06:54 AM.
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 06:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Using the term "German Alpine Road" might actually help you.
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 07:02 AM

Also a link to a description of the Alpenstrasse.
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 09:09 AM

Frankly, I don't find the Deutsche Alpenstrasse to be particularly scenic. It makes more sense to stay put in one place (either Garmisch or Berchtesgaden) and explore more in depth. Any of the viewpoint easily accessible by cable car (Wank e.g.) offers a much more spectacular scenery than all the places along the Alpenstrasse.
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 02:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I like Garmisch and area much more than Berchtesgaden. IT is so easy to get around via public bus and train so you can enjoy all that good German beer.
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Macross View Post
I like Garmisch and area much more than Berchtesgaden. IT is so easy to get around via public bus and train so you can enjoy all that good German beer.
I’ll be driving. Are there other reasons why you prefer Garmisch?
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 11:59 PM

When I read your other post, I noticed that visiting castles and other bigger sights along the road is not your priority.
I assume that others suggested Garmisch because you would have those castles, monasteries, churches etc. in one compact region.

But when scenic driving is your main concern, I would take the official route of the Alpenstrasse only as rough guidance.
Sometimes the Alpenstrasse veers away from the more perfect route to connect villages and towns which are nice to visit but are not exactly that close to the mountains. It also avoids a small toll road which belongs to the water works (I think) that connects Garmisch/Krün with the Lake Sylvenstein. The viewpoint there at the (artificial) lake has great vistas.
Close to Bayrischzell, you find the cable car to Wendelstein peak. Great viewpoint for seeing the range of higher peaks in Austria. Unless there are many folks on the weekend having the same idea, it just takes 10 minutes to go up the mountain, walk around for an hour or so, then go back down.
It's also a good idea not to drive on the German side of the border only (assuming you may do so with regard to the fineprint of your rental car contract.

A scenic route between Füssen and Kufstein would be: https://goo.gl/maps/HWJ8uWqsoWuyRvwM7

Last edited by Cowboy1968; Jul 27th, 2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 05:14 AM

The people in GaPa are very friendly. Maybe it has to do with us not giving things back to the Germans for years, maybe the Americans were arses but we could not wait to leave the area and our guest house.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 06:14 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm confused, Macross - you couldn't wait to leave Garmisch or Berchtesgaden?

I've visited both (Garmisch a few more times than Berchtesgaden) and I personally like both - I have very fond memories of our first trip to Berchesgaden some 18 years ago - we visited again a few years ago and we couldn't quite recapture the magic of our first visit, but we still enjoyed it.
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 04:39 AM

Berchtesgaden, we still laugh about the guest house we stayed in. It snowed in Oct and our rental did not have snow tires so we took a bus to Saltzburg on Sunday. We got back and there was nothing open on a Sunday night. We walked and walked looking for food. I know stores are closed but normally you can find a cafe opened. It was just a different vibe. We love Garmisch and Oberammergau. My husband did TDY at the NATO School several times. We are going back at Christmas.
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 10:25 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Prior to our 2016 return visit to Berchtesgaden we'd last visited in in December 2001, mere days before Germany switched over to the Euro. It was one of our most memorable trips; we practically had the town to ourselves and snow up to our eyeballs.

This post inspired me to look up some photos from the 2016 visit.

Königssee

Berchtesgaden cemetery

Jennerbahn
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Those are beautiful pictures Melnq8!

I read the following in a DK guidebook,

"Bertesgadner Land is one of the most beautiful regions not just just in Germany, but in the whole of Europe"

So, Bertesgadner it is
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Governator View Post
Those are beautiful pictures Melnq8!

I read the following in a DK guidebook,

"Bertesgadner Land is one of the most beautiful regions not just just in Germany, but in the whole of Europe"

So, Bertesgadner it is
Berchtesgadener!
Old Oct 31st, 2019, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

We finished our trip. Wound up driving a rental car from Bamberg to Ramsau. The drive was uneventful except for one nice viewpoint from the highway, of an onion domed church in the fields. Took some nice photos of the Ramsau church and ate at a good restaurant just nearby (I'll have to dig up the name.) We liked our B&B Haus Mulgraben which gave us a great breakfast. The next day we hiked around a small lake where we encountered a 'Cow Parade'. Drove over to Konigsee but decided not to take the boat ride. Spent a little time walking around Berchtesgaden, not really too interesting but got a nice photo from up above. Took a drive to Reit Am Winkel. We loved the scenery driving into and out of Berchtesgaden and around Ramsau. Reit Am Winkel was not too interesting. The scenery around the towns are beautiful. The towns themselves not so much. Had a good meal in Reit Am Winkel also. Overall this side trip to the Bavarian Alps was one of our favorite parts of our vacation to Germany.

Last edited by Governator; Oct 31st, 2019 at 05:17 AM.
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 09:13 PM

Good to get your feedback... I'm considering a mountain village escape in either Germany, Austria or Switzerland at the moment.. I can't decide and am madly researching away. I'll be using public transport only so it is a whole different ball game.