Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best Parisian restaurant at a moderate price (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-parisian-restaurant-at-a-moderate-price-424188/)

allovereurope Apr 19th, 2004 10:47 PM

Best Parisian restaurant at a moderate price

Looking for great places to eat in Paris, but not exactly wanting to go the Taillevent route. So what are the best places to eat in terms of food and atmosphere, for approximately 100 euros total for two people (this would also just include one or two glasses of wine, not a bottle of anything expensive)?

grandmere Apr 20th, 2004 12:56 AM

I enjoyed Allard, rue St. Andre des Arts, in the 6th, very much my last trip. It's a bistro that goes back a long time, and most diners were speaking French. The three course prix fixe is 32 euro; with glass or so of wine and coffee, it came out to be just around 100 e for two. I'd suggest reservations, esp. on weekend.
Have a good time!

Reeder Apr 20th, 2004 02:46 AM

We liked a restaurant called Cote de Seine I believe so much so we went there twic in a five night stay. This was five years ago but we did it easily for under !00 then. Small, charmin, good food and service--lots of Parisiens eating there. H

Gretchen Apr 20th, 2004 03:34 AM

Cote Seine is closed. Look for a thread about "rue Cler restaurants". There are MANY there in your range.

cls2paris Apr 20th, 2004 06:16 AM

I really liked Relais d'Entrecote on rue St. Benoit. It is near St. Germain metro. They have a fixed menu of beef with a great sauce, frites, salad, dessert, bottle of wine and it is about $70.

mmr41 Apr 20th, 2004 10:48 AM

One of my favorites is la Petite Chaise on rue Grenelle in the 7th. One of the oldest restaurants in Paris and would esily be within your budget. Three years ago four of ate there for 140E.
Bon appetite!!!

OReilly Apr 20th, 2004 10:57 AM

L'Affiole:

http://www.iht.com/IHT/DINE/pw080996.html

This is my favorite restaurant in Paris. I have had lunch and dinner there about six times and have always been delighted.

hopscotch Apr 20th, 2004 11:05 AM

One of my regular favorites for many years is Bistro de la Gare. It's on Blvd Montparnasse across from the Galeries Lafayette at Gare Montparnasse.

elaine Apr 20th, 2004 11:11 AM

Hi
I haven't been there since the euro conversion so it might be slightly more than your price range (or not) but I love Chez Julien. Homey, charming decor (lace curtains at the windows) very good food (there's a prix fixe menu that is less expensive), family-run. In the 4th, corner of 1 rue Pont Louis Philippe and 62 rue de l?Hotel de Ville. Telephone 42-78-31-64. Closed Sundays

Underhill Apr 20th, 2004 12:38 PM

Au Petit Marguery is a classic bistro with prices that would suit your budget well. It's in the 13th, near Place d' Italie, and has a lovely ambience. If you go in the fall or winter, you'll be able to try some of the game offerings, but our absolute hands-down favorite is the sauteed wood mushrooms with garlic and parsley. Boy, are those good!

progol Apr 20th, 2004 02:46 PM

I'm searching for the "rue Cler restaurants" thread, but can't find it. Can anyone help?
thanks,
Paule

jace Apr 20th, 2004 02:56 PM

I agree with grandmere about Allard. We ate there last week and enjoyed it though our waiter wasn't the best. Also enjoyed Brasserie Balzar on rue des Ecoles across from the Sorbonne. It's a little less expensive than Allard.

artlover Apr 20th, 2004 03:04 PM

I LOVE Le Grand Cafe near the Opera Gardiner. The place is gorgeous--all stained glass, they cook dinner at your table, and the last time we went, when I complimented the chef, he kept bringing us more and more samples of things to try. The food was delious and with wine well under $100.

grandmere Apr 20th, 2004 04:17 PM

Jace, that's too bad about your waiter; it sounds as though it didn't ruin your experience, though.

Did you or anyone near you order the duck with olives? We were sorry we hadn't when we saw it on a nearby table--duck with tons of olives around it.

awbaker Apr 20th, 2004 04:48 PM

La Regalade in the 14th is wonderful. 30 Euros (last year) for 3 courses. It is usually booked several weeks in advance.

La Fountaine de Mars (i believe it is in the 7th?) is also very good.

Les Bookinistes (or Bouqinistes?) is good. It is one of Guy Savoys restaurants. I think it is in your price range.

martytravels Apr 20th, 2004 06:26 PM

If you like North African food, 404 in the northern part of the Marais district is unpretentious, charming and best of all, has great food and excellent wines. It won't be anywhere close to $100 for two, including wine, aperitifs and desert.

francophile03 Apr 20th, 2004 06:29 PM

I recommend Le Bistrot de Paris in the 7th district, rue de Lille on the St. Germain border. Nice decor, small, and attentive staff, good prices and good food.

I do not recommend Vagenende on St. Germain. Maybe we weren't pleased with what was offered as the prix fixe dinner menu. We found it was overpriced although the decor was nice.

Iza Apr 20th, 2004 07:08 PM

We liked La Fontaine de Mars in the 7th and, even better, La Petit Troquet in the 7th as well.

For very casual, very reasonable and delicious food try Cafe du Marche on Rue Cler - we liked it a lot.

allovereurope Apr 20th, 2004 11:50 PM

WOW! Thanks for all the helpful tips! Can't wait to eat!

PamSF Apr 21st, 2004 10:38 AM

And my favorite Astier in the 11th.