Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best Paris Meal 250-300 Euro (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-paris-meal-250-300-euro-569570/)

ZoeB Nov 8th, 2005 07:33 AM

Best Paris Meal 250-300 Euro

My husband and I will be travelling to Paris soon to celebrate our first anniversary. We are looking for an excellent French meal in the 250-300 Euro range. Any suggestions?

ira Nov 8th, 2005 07:43 AM

Hi Zoe,

Is that per person? With wine? Lunch, dinner?

((I))

degas Nov 8th, 2005 07:48 AM

Yeah, a first aniversary is special - 300 Euros is about right. Twenty years from now, let's hope you are not
posting for 25-35 Euro meals!

Seriously, good luck and happy eating.

Sarah Nov 8th, 2005 07:57 AM

I would look at Patrica Wells current suggestions www.patricawells.com

Funny degas.

Congrats ZoeB

rightnow Nov 8th, 2005 08:57 AM

Since nobody seemed to answer the fellow's question, I'll try:

If you want a romantic place to take someone that doesn't cost quite as much as you indicated (but is still quite expensive, like all places in France), try:

Piccolo Teatro
Great vegetarian dishes
Dining : European : Italian

6, rue des Ecouffes
Paris

Neighborhood: 4th Arrondissement

métro: St-Paul

+33 1 42 72 17 79

Source: http://www.wcities.com/en/record/86,21374/8/record.html
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguid...teatro_paris-i

StCirq Nov 8th, 2005 09:17 AM

I wouldn't have my anniversary dinner in PARIS at an Italian restaurant, no matter how good it might be. And as an aside, I disagree totally with the notion that "all places in France" are expensive. One can eat very well in France for not much money.

If you're looking for a high-end dining experience I'd suggest Taillevent, La Tour d'Argent, Pré-Catalan, Jules Verne, le Grand Véfour, le Violon d'Ingres, to name a few.

SuzieC Nov 8th, 2005 09:28 AM

What StCirq said... and try this site
bestrestaurantsparis.com
Have you read the thread on Best Meal In Paris? Very good recommendations there.

Margaretlb Nov 8th, 2005 10:13 AM

Relais Louis XIII on Rue des Grands Augustines, 6th. If you choose from the prix fixe menu and carefully select your wine, you'll spend just within the 250-300. The chef, Michael Martinez is a member of the Master Chefs of France so the menu is classic and prepared perfectly. Along with the regular courses are several amuse buches (sp), a stupendous cheese cart from which you can freely choose (as much as you can consume!)plus wonderful petit fours. The restaurant is lovely and subdued; service is snooty but correct. My husband felt a bit intimidated when we first arrived (felt we were "out of our league") but good American that I am, I responded "along as you behave elegantly and can pay the check, you're not out of your league". Once we ordered and he could relax, he really enjoyed it. As I said, the waiter was a bit snooty but I looked him dead in the eye and asked for a wine recommendation- "we're not wine connoisseurs but would like an appropriate wine that won't break the bank". He was not shocked by my frankness and he recommended an Hermitage that was just delicious and only E60. You can , however, spend thousands for wine there if you're so inclined!

elaine Nov 8th, 2005 10:36 AM

Le Violon d'Ingres would be my choice in that range.

ZoeB Nov 8th, 2005 10:39 AM

I was thinking 250-300 for 2 people for dinner including wine.

Thanks!

TorontoSteven Nov 8th, 2005 10:57 AM

Taillevent or La Grand Vefour. You will not be disappointed.

wliwl Nov 8th, 2005 11:54 AM

I would strongly recommend La Truffiere. We visited this restaurant the first time we were in Paris (1995) and it was divine. Last time we were in Paris we didn't make it there - but I deeply regret that decision.

I hope it's OK that I stole some reviews from this site for you to look at:

From wyf4lyf:
LA TRUFFIERE -- On the same day as Robuchon. Can't believe we had 2 such amazing meals in one day. This place is really special. We had a fun stroll through the Latin Quarter to find the place. We ate downstairs in their "cave" which was mostly lit by candles. Tres romantique with only about 8 tables. The staff, who could have been stuffy, given the prices and caliber of food, was relaxed and warm and friendly, even humorous. We felt instantly at ease and dove in to some of the best cooking of the week. Sommelier suggested a red wine cocktail to start, and that was a fun change from my Kir Royale fixation. :) Amuse-bouche came in little soup tureens -- a cream of zucchini soup drizzled with white truffle oil. Wow. Taste buds engaged and ready for action. We split a starter of foie gras with mashed potato cake and it was wonderful. Warm and comforting. Would like to have one to myself next time. To our surprise, they then brought us each a small foie gras creme brulee which was a revelation. What a concept. And it totally worked. Fabulous flavors and textures. My main was my 2nd favorite main of the week -- duck leg stew with mashed potatoes and truffles. It came as a timbale, with the stewed meat on the bottom, mashed potatoes on top, thinly sliced black truffles lining the sides...sauteed foie gras on the very top, and a fabulous truffle sauce drizzled over and around. Another "I want to sing" moment. Especially since the sommelier brought me a glass of red wine that was totally perfect with the dish. Wish I'd written down what it was. I decided to eat and sip very very slowly. Glenn had another WOW moment with his red tuna stuffed with foie gras and rolled in filo dough and lightly fried. The tuna was still mostly raw, as it should be, and he said the combination of tuna and foie gras was amazing. We did not share bites this time. :) If we weren't happy enough, then they brought out the cheese trolley, a beautiful piece of furniture with at least 20 cheeses on it, and our server took lots of time to carefully explain each one. We each chose 3, he chose another 2 to round out the course, and then placed them on the plate in order from mildest to strongest and gave us special condiments to go with a few of them. I loved this...a bit theatrical and yet educational and ultimately divine eating! I had chevre with the most delicate orange honey (and I don't usually like honey as a condiment!), and there was a cheese called Cadot (sp?) I think that was made with Calvados, so they served it with an apple chutney. We had so much fun with the cheese course. Then they brought us pre-desserts of a creamy rice pudding with apricot-mango sauce. Lovely. My dessert was the house specialty -- a warm truffle souffle -- not chocolate, mind you, but black truffle, with mango coulis, and sherbet flavored with truffle honey. It was the most unique dish of the week. So glad I tried it. There was no skimping on the truffles, either...all mixed into the souffle and scattered all about the plate, too. Amazing flavor combo to have the sweet and earthy. Every bite, I'd say, "This is so bizarre, but I love it...I think!" It messed with my brain, and I just loved that it was special to the place and I'll be talking about it for years. Glenn had sorbets again, which he really liked. Then more little treats with our coffees. And it was another 3-hour meal we will remember forever. (Are people really allowed to have two 3-hour meals in one day?) The staff made such an impression on us. This is a place for a splurge...our bill came to 211e for the 2 of us but it was worth every centime.

From robjame:
La Truffiere - a small restaurant with an emphasis on truffles (the mushroom type) in the 5 arrondisement (the Latin Quarter).
We had the degustation menu which lets the chef display samples of his most creative efforts. The real bonus of this restaurant was that there are 2 possibilities per course so we had different choices for each of the courses, and shared. We included the wine supplement and that gave us the sommelier's matched wine with each dish.
Price? €82 per person + €80 per person for the wines.
Before you gasp at the price let me say that the generous shavings of truffles were evident and the wines were vintage selections - no Hearty Burgundy here.
The parade started with a warm parsnip soup garnished with white truffle cream. The taste was delicate and alluring. The young server explained that this was to occupy us until the first presentation was ready.
Amuse bouche - An eggplant and roquefort mousse that was as tasty as curious. Not strong tasting, the flavors melded nicely.
Entrees
Foie gras de canard with nuts, candied medlar(what is this?) and rhubarb compote - yummy and buttery with a sweet 2003 Languedoc white.
Black truffles and cabbage root lasagnas on a mixed herg salad with a truffle oil dressing - this looked like diced root, not traditional lasagna. The salad made of only herbs was remarkable and could be easily duplicated at home. The 2000 Gewurstraminer was wonderful - what a perfume.
Poisson
Roast John Dory(a Mediterranean fish) with a crisp black rice roll and white asperagus softly fried in lemon butter. The 1998 Chablis was ok.
Turbot sauted, creamy vegetables and green asperagus accompanied by a mushroom stuffed with parma ham and marrow bone. We both remarked that unfortunately turbot seems to have fallen out of favor at home. 2004 Gassac
Main course
Duck leg stew and mashed potato cake with truffles. The canard taste was lost but the 1990 Cahors red was amazing.
Roast rumsteck (sounds so much nicer than rump steak) with lard, potato and celery terrine with black truffles. Nice presentation but can you really beat Alberta beef? - 1992 S African red.
Cheese course - all French and the waitress arranged them according to strength with appropriate condiments. The 10 year old Taylor port was fine.
Dessert - four little desserts each, the best of which was the dark (almost black) chocolate ice cream sprinkled with pistachios. The 2003 Muscadet was my favorite wine of the night.
The espresso and cigar in the tiny lounge capped off the best meal I have ever had. A romantic spot, it would not disappoint as your special night out in Paris.

From egbear:
We had our best dinner that night (though we weren't planning to splurge). At La Truffiere off of Rue Mouffetard we indulged in the specialty of the house - truffles - with their fixed 5-course menu: foie gras with truffles, salad with truffles, brill with truffles, duck with truffles. I think the only things that didn't have truffles were the cheese course and dessert. The dinner was not tres cher, but the wine was. We let the sommelier steer us, and he knew his stuff. Although we nicked the cork to take home, we now can't find it, so the wine will have to be a fond memory that can't be repeated. Dinner was a three-hour pageant that I was very sorry to see end. The owner was a bit taken with us -- I guess my attempts at French were amusing -- and he gave us a little address book from La Truffiere as a keepsake. It makes me hungry just to look at it.

From BeachGirl247:
La Truffiere. 4 rue Blainville, 5th
Romantic 17th century house with a stone cellar. Very cozy. The food was excellent as well as a very healthy wine list. The owner and sommelier are gracious hosts. Food was outstanding!! Highly recommend!
We ate with a fixed menu and wine for New Year's so not sure what the regular prices would be. Zagat's says 68 euros each. I would guess a little more than that. Great place for a romantic dinner.

(Do a search on here for Truffiere to read the rest.)

Here is the web site:
http://www.latruffiere.com/

Obviously, you need reservations. Have a great anniversary!

TransitBuddie Nov 8th, 2005 12:04 PM

The George Cinq is a three star Michelin rated restaurant and has excellent meals.

I had an excellent meal at the Jules Vernes (at the second flour of the Eiffel Tower), and is a one star Michelin. Reservations are really hard to make, though.

The Michelin red guide as some really good restaurants mentioned. One through three star restaurants are especially good and it's extremely hard to win a star. A chef in Burgundy actually committed suicide when losing one of his stars.

Grandma Nov 8th, 2005 03:10 PM

This may be a little bit off the wall... but... where will you be staying? Is it a hotel with a good concierge? On our recent trip I went to the concierge and said I wanted to reserve at Au Bon Acueil (Sp?) which is highly recommended here and in many other places. Con. said... "but you will have to take a taxi and the place is full of people from New Jersey" -:)
He recommended a place within walking distance that was just wonderful. (I finally had those veal kidneys I've been searching for). If you have a good Concierge I would approach a few days ahead of time and tell him of your special situation. You might be pleasantly surprised.

ZoeB Nov 8th, 2005 09:55 PM

Thanks for the recommendation on La Truffiere. It sounds great! Has anyone else eaten there? What is the dress like? Jacket and tie necessary?

ira Nov 9th, 2005 04:47 AM

Hi Z,

>Jacket and tie necessary? <

Jacket 'yes', tie 'not required' at any of the places suggested.

You might wish to consider Restaurant Lapérouse (51 quai Grands Augustins). This is a very old restaurant, founded in 1766, still in late 18th century style, with impeccable (yet very pleasant) service and really good food.

A splurge dinner, with wine, overlooking the Seine was 283E.

See my trip report for details on that and other restaurants in Paris:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34676645

Photos at http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...y&x=0&

((I))