Best Paris location for 1 week apartment

May 7th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Best Paris location for 1 week apartment

Looking for recommendation for where to rent apartment in Paris for 1 week (for mother and 16 year old daughter).

QUESTION: I am still deciding on the apartment location for PARIS. a) Montmontre 18e area: Liked, since would feel part of neighborhood, seemed safer for 2 girls and less tourist hecticness at night. Close to Nord train station for 6:50 am train to Brussels when leave Paris. Drawback - more time each day on metro to the sites. OR
b) 2e or 3e areas around the Louvre or Opera

Any recommendations?
May 7th, 2008, 06:26 PM

I would go with the apt near Louvre or Opera more centrally located. You can stop back in the apartment for lunch or if you are going out in the evening an afternoon nap.It is nice to have a place close to the sites that you can pop back into. We rented one on Rue de la Hachette near Notre Dame.Our teenage sons were able to go out in the evening by themselves. Get lunch or crepes on the street
May 8th, 2008, 03:45 AM

I prefer apartments in 1e,2e or 3e simply because of accessability to everything in short order. Not sure which apartments you are looking at, but those within buildings that have interior courtyards are quiet and offer a peaceful outdoor spot. My favorites are those offered through www.parisvacationapartments.com. The units in Palais Royal are a special treat!
May 8th, 2008, 06:14 AM

I like several different ones, but think I like www.parisperfect.com the very best!! They do recognize their previous customers with upgrades, as they just did for me on my recent trip. I also have rented a new one that will be ready for me for a month beginning mid Sept. If you look on the www.vrbo.com site you will find that they have some excellent discounts to take advantage of.

Most are in the 7th, but a few elsewhere, now. The 7th has such great, easy access to everything and it has so many more excellent restauants.

Enjoy looking..........
May 8th, 2008, 10:33 AM

I like the 7th, tho you will get plenty of dissenting opinions! It is fairly quiet for Paris, an area plesant for strolling around. The Rue Cler pedestrian area has several cafes good for people watching and there are plenty of restaurants nearby that have a large local clientele, not mainly tourists.
May 8th, 2008, 10:46 AM

The 7th has retained its village atmosphere. Not the heavy touritsty, crowded area. Has more starred and bibb gourmand restaurants than the 4, 5, 6th together. A very safe, nice area.

Enjoy..
May 8th, 2008, 10:55 AM

I like the 14éme best. I have stayed twice in this area and I would do it again.
May 8th, 2008, 06:45 PM

We LOVED the Ile St Louis. We found it very central. We used http://www.guestapartment.com/for our apartment rental a few years ago. I can't say enough good things about them!

I would also think the 6th or the 7th would be a very nice base.
May 9th, 2008, 07:55 PM

I really wanted to rent the following apartment in Montmarte but unfortunately wasn't available:

http://www.vrbo.com/10574

The owner lives in our city and I just picked up the phone and called him. Really nice older gentleman.
May 10th, 2008, 04:16 AM

We stayed in 1e - a block from Palais Royal last year. Loved the proximity to things ! At the end of the day, we would always walk through Palais Royal gardens and it felt like we'd come home.

I'm also a photography nut, so I would put kids to bed (8pm) and then go out and shoot sunsets and night pictures of the Louvre, Seine, etc. Always felt safe and I was close to be able to do that.
May 10th, 2008, 03:18 PM

My adult daughter and I really enjoyed this apartment in the 17th. Around the corner from the market street Rue des Levis and the Villier Metro. NOT at all touristy and very "real." The company was a pleasure to work with. As you can see they have other properties, mostly in the 18th.

http://www.perfectlyparis.com/Magnifique%20Monceau.html

May 10th, 2008, 03:48 PM

If you prefer Montmontre then why not stay there- it doesn't take very long to get to the sights by metro, and taking public transportation allows for some excellent people watching opportunities.

I wouldn't rule out the other areas because of safety alone, though. Paris as a whole is quite safe. I recently spent a week alone in the Republique/Oberkampf area, and I always felt safe and comfortable walking in the area, both early in the morning and later at night.

Safety wise, I think it's best to stay somewhere that isn't completely devoid of people in the early am or at night, though I'm sure Montmontre isn't deserted like that.
May 10th, 2008, 04:29 PM

The Paris Perfect apts, mentioned above, while quite lovely (we stayed in one) and owned by delightful and conscientious people, are expensive. Good luck if you can get a discount. Unless you require it,You can get something just as nice, but without the designer this and antique that, for far less.

That said, I love the 7th also, as did my daughter, who was 18 when last there. We loved the area around Rue Cler!! The 5th and 6th are just too busy.

Montmartre seems a bit far to from "the action." We like being able to walk to lots of places, so I'd recommend somethign more central.

I understand you want a "village" neighborhood type feel. But that is available in other parts of Paris.

We're leaving in a few weeks and this time staying in an area near Place des Vosges, in the Marais. We rented directly from the owner. Fodorites recommend that area a lot as a base, and for its own charm.--I hope they are right Check it out on your apt hunting.

vacationinparis.com
I didnt use this group for my own rentals,but spoke with them in helpinga friend get a flat. They were great to work with, their prices are reasonable and they get good reviews on this and other boards. if you call, they are very helpful with making choices based on your needs:

vacationinparis.com

Re: getting to Gare du NMord, for your early monring (ouch!) train--to save time,you could get a taxi, to get you there from wherever you are, if wanting to save time over use of the metro.

Have fun planning!!

May 10th, 2008, 04:34 PM

I second a vote for Vacationinparis.com. We just rented a studio in the 6th from them. They were great to work with, and I would definitely rent from them in the future.

Enjoy your trip!
May 10th, 2008, 08:02 PM

Hello singer. I'm relating to your "drawbacks" comment. The first time we went to Paris (it was in May-June 1999, I think), the Metro went on strike. If you're out in Montmartre, that could be a problem.

We just returned from Paris, and stayed in the 7th. On previous trips we were in the 5th and the 2nd (on the gardens of the Palais Royal, in an apartment from parisvacationapartments.com). (I've never stayed in the 18th, only walked around there, so I don't know what it's like at night).

I found the location near the 2nd to be the most convenient, followed by the 5th. On the right bank, the #1 metro runs all along the river, so you can get places easily. From our location in the 2nd next to the Louvre, we could be most anywhere within a very short period of time. I would think that close to the river in the 5th would also be ideal as well (like the place meath suggests - really close in and safe, IMO). I liked the 7th, but it just seemed like it was a bother to go back and forth during the day on the metro, when the other times we just hoofed it.

Good luck, and have a wonderful time.
May 10th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for your recommendations. We selected an apartment in Marais neighborhood; which was close to everything, yet still a neighborhood feel. For those that have stayed in that area before, feel free to pass on some of your favorite restaurants.

Singercpa
May 11th, 2008, 03:05 AM

Glad you found a spot that suits you!!

A note re the Paris Perfect apartment discounts. They are not shown on their website, but they are shown on VRBO. Just go to the 7th arr., for instance, and pull one up. Easy to recognize, and links to their website.

Some bargains, if you like the www.parisperfect.com type stay. I have their new one, as yet ynlisted, that will be ready for my month stay mid Sept - mid Oct. I am anxious to see the finished product, soon.

Enjoy............
May 12th, 2008, 02:19 AM

Bon voyage. Have a great trip, singercpa. I'll be staying with my daughter in the Marais as well, at end of May. I hope all of us consider it a good choice at the close of our trips.