Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Best Paris Arrondissment for family stay?
Notices

Best Paris Arrondissment for family stay?

Jan 8th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Best Paris Arrondissment for family stay?

We will be traveling with our three children, 5, 8 and 11 this summer and intend to stay 2 or 3 weeks renting an apartment in Paris. Many years ago, I lived in the 14th near Jardin de Luxembourg but am unsure about where to stay this trip. I would prefer not to stay in the center of town near main tourist destinations, but frankly I don't know the outer ring of neighborhoods well enough to know where to go. Any help with this choice and recommendations for Paris with kids would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Jan 10th, 2012, 09:41 AM

I stay in the 14th a lot, but the border is bd Montparnasse and the 6th arr is on the southern side of Lux Gardens (and West). I think the top part of the 14th is about 6 blocks from it or so. But I think the area to the south/SW of Lux Gardens might be a good choice for you, but that is the 6th arr. if you look. I think the 15th would be a good choice, it's good for families and residential, got several nice parks. I like the area near Charles Michels metro stop (there are shops on rue St Charles and a weekly street market). Square Violet is charming, also.

Otherwise, you might consider the 14th around Parc Montsouris which is one of my favorite parks. Metro doesn't go there, though, only the RER, so you have to choose wisely (new tram going around the bottom is convenient). Staying in the 7th would probably be a good choice, also, as it is more residential and has some parks (I'm thinking the area more western, not right around the border of the 6th). Personally, I think the Latin Qtr could be abig hit, but not the top part near the Seine, the bottom part (near Censier or Gobelins metro). The 13th near Gobelins would also be a good choice. YOu don't have to be in the outer ring of Paris to avoid the tourist destinations, they are mainly right near the Seine.
Jan 10th, 2012, 09:52 AM

My family and I stayed in the 14th last June, had a great time. At first we were skeptical about staying out from the center, but not being a popular tourist area we felt like we were in a Parisian neighborhood. Plenty of good shops,markets, and cafes. We stayed just up from the Alesia metro stop which was convenient . And we stayed with our four kids(7,9,12,15), and had no trouble getting around.
Jan 10th, 2012, 10:41 AM

I love the 14th. My friend and I stayed on Blvd. Raspail close to Edgar Quinet, so we have the Edgar Quinet metro stop, the Raspail stop, Vanin and Notre Dam de Champs all very close. Montparnasse station was a short walk and the bus stopped almost in front of the hotel.

It had a very "Paris neighborhood" feel, plenty of places to eat, a couple of markets, and it was just a great place to stay.

Search this Thread