Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best over night and day Stops between Barcelona and Valencia (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-over-night-and-day-stops-between-barcelona-and-valencia-1076189/)

Brooke_Herron Oct 19th, 2015 12:46 AM

Best over night and day Stops between Barcelona and Valencia

Hi all,

I'm back in Europe (actually sold everything back in CA and moved here with the intent of building up my freelance business and hosted trips over time to where I'm making enough to live and return to California!) and headed soon to Spain in late November.

I'll be flying into Barcelona (from Poland of all places-long story which I'll post about on an Eastern European forum) and will have 12 days between Barcelona and my end stop, Polop in Costa Blanca area of Spain (near Alicante) where I'll be house-sitting for 3 weeks.

I'm on an incredibly limited budget since I'm living off the very last of my savings and have only budgeted for normal rent per month (not vacation rental or nightly airbnb rates) so I'll be staying in the most affordable (yet still nice and well located) Airbnb's and traveling by train (versus renting a car). My house-sitting is off-setting the costs of my nightly Airbnbs and train travel.

I have already planned to spend 3 nights in Barcelona and 5 nights in Valencia. I have always wanted to visit Valencia and think I'll find plenty to do. I prefer a lot of walking around, sitting at cafes and viewing beautiful buildings. Though I'd love dearly to catch a football match here too! fingers crossed there's a match on when I'm in town.

This leaves 4 nights open between Barcelona and Valencia. I can stop anywhere that's on the way on the train, and where I can find affordable lodging ( I wont' stay in hostels but have very good luck finding cheap great Airbnbs).

Anyone who has seen previous posts by me knows I'm big into good wine and food (I don't need to get fancy about it-I just have high standards for quality :)), outdoors activities (which when traveling solo aren't as easy to facilitate unless I meet up with a group or do something located near society so I don't end up lost out in wilderness) and just picturesque, historic, charming places.

I've been in Prague this past month and it's stunningly beautiful but it's definitely Central Europe, not Western Europe. My heart, my personality, demeanor and eating habits are more suited to Western Europe and in particular the Mediterranean so I'm looking forward to Spain!

A friend has mentioned some spectacular castles and towns known for Cava that are along my way but I'm not sure which would be most my cup of tea and some are cost-prohibitive lodging-wise because of lack of Airbnb options. But, I could stop in these places for the day and just head a few train stops farther for the night if they are un-missable

Thanks in Advance for your help-

Brooke

Rubicund Oct 19th, 2015 02:45 AM

The Cava area is inland to the west of Barcelona and not on your way south. The town is San Sadurni d'Anoia.

I'd maybe look to stop at Peñíscola as a reasonable mid point and there's lots of info on what to do there:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...la-TG-C-1.html

Valencia have two matches at home in December, one around the 14th against Barcelona, with the date and time still to be confirmed and the other on the 16th December currently listed as against Getafe. I'd think that these may both be subject to change and the Barca game will be difficult to get tickets for. Keep an eye on the fixtures:

http://en.valenciacf.com/ver/335/val...d-results.html

Cowboy1968 Oct 19th, 2015 06:39 AM

I'd second rubicund's suggestion to stay in Peñíscola - even though the weather may not be constantly charming in late November.

An alternative homebase for 4 days could also be Tortosa, also easily accessible by rail from Barcelona.
It's the "capital" of the Terres de l'Ebre region with a nice old town and castle.
http://www.tortosaturisme.cat/en/

And near the best wines you find in Spain - D.O.Q. Priorat and D.O. Montsant - which are both affordable when you buy at local supermarkets.

The whole Terres de l'Ebre region is very scenic, but you cannot go there by rail (I think), but have to venture further inland from Tortosa by bus, e.g. to pittoresque Horta de Sant Joan. The mountains of Natural Park Els Ports are also awesome for hiking. But I think you'd need a car to get to the trailheads.

If you opt for Peñíscola, you could hike on the coastal long-distance trail for as long as you want. And go back by train or bus from the next town.
Or see if there a bus connections to Morella - a very scenic town for a day trip.

rialtogrl Oct 19th, 2015 06:55 AM

Consider Tarragona for a night or two. There are some good value hotels there. Not sure what your nightly budget is but you should be able to get a room for the same or less as an air b n b room.

Morella is gorgeous if you can swing it.

Robert2533 Oct 19th, 2015 07:36 AM

>actually sold everything back in CA and moved here with the intent of building up my freelance business and hosted trips over time to where I'm making enough to live and return to California!<

Did I miss something here? Do you have a long-term residence/working visa or hold a EU passport? Since Poland is a Schengen member country, your 90 days within 180 began when you first entered the EU.

Brooke_Herron Oct 21st, 2015 08:40 AM

Rubicund & Cowboy 1968 great info thanks!

It's so funny I actually met a man from Valencia last night at an event and he suggested Peniscola as a stop too!

Wish I could make it to the 14th or the 16th match but I'll only be there through the 4th. Was hoping to find a match super late Nov or first few days of Dec

rialtogrl- I'll put it on my agenda to do a day trip to Morella since it's mentioned so may times :) and Tarragona has been mentioned a couple times as well so will look into where a few nights will cost the least and do day trips to the rest from there

rialtogrl Oct 21st, 2015 08:59 AM

After you posted I did look at Air BnB for Tarragona (because I was curious) and they do have some pretty cheap beds in other people's houses. But you can get a hotel room for 40 euros if that is in your budget. I like to stay at the Hotel Lauria, its uber central and they have a good breakfast and great staff. But maybe it is too high for you...

There is a great wine shop in Tarragona called VinoVi. :)

Brooke_Herron Oct 22nd, 2015 04:22 AM

Hi rialtogirl-

thanks for the tip ! :) Yeah Airbnb doesn't look great for Tarragona. Where-as in Valencia I found some great cheap rooms with private bathrooms with lovely local hosts for around $25-$30/night. Sweet spot

I will definitely check out the wine shop!