Best outdoor Paris market

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Paula

Best outdoor Paris market

Where would be the best Paris market to see on Tuesday or Wednesday? We are staying in the St. Germain area.

Thanks!

Paula

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Joe

Paula, If you do a search under France on "rue cler market" you'll find a good recent discussion of two good and distinctive Left Bank markets. Both are easy to reach from St. Germain.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 03:11 PM
John

On Blvd. St. Germain at Pace Maubert is an outdoor market with fresh vegetables, cheeses, and other nourritures. I lived on a small street around the corner but I can't recall which days the market was open. Nearby you'll find the rue Mouffetard running south. Walk up hill from Blvd. St Germaine and then down the other side for some of the most interesting markets you will find in Europe. For more on France see my page at
www.enjoy-europe.com/cds/france.htm

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 03:50 AM
Julie

Place Maubert market is open on Tues, Thurs. and Sat. so you're in luck. It's very compact but fun. Rue Cler and Rue Mouffetard are market streets that are open daily so you could do one on Tues. and the other on Wed. The most elegant market is the President Wilson in the 16th which is open on Wed. It's on the Ave. President Wilson running from Rue Freycinet to Ave. d'Iena. You can reach it by stopping at the Alma Marceau or Iena metro stations. It's worth the metro ride to see this one. Paris markets are wonderful. Enjoy.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 04:20 AM
parislover

As you will be staying in St. Germain, you can as well go to the nearby Rue de Buci/Rue de Seine market, a bit touristy, but still nice.
Have fun!

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:20 AM
wendy

If you have time to buy a copy before you leave, try to find the book 'Paris in a Basket' written by two women who researched and listed every market in each arrondisement. Thanks to this book, which highlights the local vendors and lists the 'type' of market by organic, seafood, etc...I have made some wonderful friends with the vendors and can visit each one for it's own characteristic and personality.

I adore the Rue Cler for having an upscale wide variety, Rue Mouffetard for it's 'internationl' flavor, blvd. Raspail for organic products, and the Buci market (biased becasue it was neighborhood for 6 years)...

Bon voyage and Bon appetit!

~Wendy~

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:49 AM

to the top

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Julie

Wendy, I think you and I are a mutual admiration society for Paris in a Basket. It's my favorite book of Paris and I think at only $20 for a hardcover, coffee table book it's a steal even if you never go to Paris. I work every trip to Paris around markets and try to start every day (but Monday, of course,) with a market and then explore from there. My favorite just for the shock value is the Barbes market in the 18th. It's so exotic and any place with goats heads turning on a spit with eyes and teeth showing is pretty spectacular in my book.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 11:26 AM
wendy

Julie~

I live on Montmartre, near the Barbes market, and too, think it is a 'shock value' hoot! (not to mention... some days a scream!)Let me know when you are in Paris next!

~Wendy~

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:46 PM
Paula

Thanks everyone for your replies. I bought the book-it's great!