Reload this Page >

Best Orientation to Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2002, 04:40 PM
MM

What is the best way to orient yourself to the major cities of Rome, Florence and Venice once you arrive? Are all of the major sights within walking distance of each other or should I plan on taking buses, taxis, etc? (I am young and in shape).

Old May 12th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Clara

Ok, I'll probably get slammed for this- but personally, I think the best way to orient yourself to a new city is to hop on a tour bus for a two hour tour. I know most people think they are cheesy, but it's always worked for me.<BR><BR>With that said, when we were in Rome, we DIDN'T go on a tour, and I regret it a little. Instead we grabbed a map of the subway line from our hotel, and we took off on foot. In Rome, there are only two subway lines that make an X over the city, so you end up doing a LOT of walking.

Old May 12th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Clara

Actually, in Venice- just grab a map - they're EVERYWHERE. I know there will be a lot of offers for walking tours of the area, but you should be find on your own.

Old May 12th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Joe

Clara, I agree on tour buses for large cities. I think it's the best way to get an overview and the relationships between different parts of a city. I try to find tour buses that are cheap, allow you to hop on and off, and whenever possible that are open air or have an open upper deck. I avoid the big coaches with sealed windows.<BR><BR>However, Florence and Venice are good walking cities. In Venice be sure to take a vaparetto all the way around the Grand Canal early on. We were there for the first time last Ocotober and took a vaparetto from the train stration to the stop by the Danielli by the back route. We didn't continue on the Grand Canal until our departure back to the train station, and I regret it.

Old May 12th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Clara

Yep- you're right- Venice and Florence are definitely walkable.

Old May 12th, 2002, 06:28 PM
StCirq

Even as a longtime Europe traveler, when I hit a new city, I hop on the tour bus that gives you an overview of the place. Did it in the past three years in both London and Rome and didn't regret it. It gave me a good idea of how to plan the next few days, and it gave me a good sense of the layout of the city, plus it took the edge off the jetlag, as I didn't have to deal with anything but sitting, looking, and listening.

Old May 13th, 2002, 05:07 AM
elaine

Hi<BR>I have files on those 3 cities; if you'd like to see them, email me.<BR>Venice and Florence are very walkable, so is Rome but it's so spread out and so much larger than the other two that walking the distances can really take a lot of time out of your day.<BR><BR>If you're going to take a bus tour, or even just ride a city bus, have your map with you. For me, as the bus makes turns and I see street signs, I follow along on the map and it helps me orient myself.

Old May 13th, 2002, 09:01 PM
Harriette

Elaine I have emailed you for the files you have on Venice and Florence a number of times and have never received them. Please send if you can

Old May 13th, 2002, 09:02 PM
Harriette

topping for elaine